WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: pistol caliber ars???

Banned

pistol caliber ars???

where are they. A couple years ago they were all over now I cant find anything but one 45 acp. I really like a 40sw to run suppressed. I thought of the mec tec conversion for one of my glocks but they don't come threaded and I hate to tie up a handgun and if a guy buys a glock and a mec tec hes into more money then if he just bought an ar. I know stag, Olympic arms and cmmg made them.

Boolit Master

rock river makes em too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    where are they. A couple years ago they were all over now I cant find anything but one 45 acp. I really like a 40sw to run suppressed. I thought of the mec tec conversion for one of my glocks but they don't come threaded and I hate to tie up a handgun and if a guy buys a glock and a mec tec hes into more money then if he just bought an ar. I know stag, Olympic arms and cmmg made them.
    Run a 300 Blackout suppressed, much better than a .40 unless you are just wanting to stay with a .40 for some reason.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Run a 300 Blackout suppressed, much better than a .40 unless you are just wanting to stay with a .40 for some reason.
    There's a lot to be said for straight wall pistol cases in guns you want to put a bunch of ammo through.

Llyod, I have a Rock River LAR-9 and am pretty happy with it. They sell a .40.

Quarter Circle 10 sells Glock magazine lowers and parts.
    http://www.quartercircle10.com/
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    My son has AR uppers in:
    22LR, 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP.
    All but the 22LR will run with his Lighting Link.
    All except the 7.62x39, are blowback actions, and all were bought off the shelf from various manufacturers.

Banned

I like the idea of a pistol caliber over something like a blackout because loading is much easier with carbide dies. A can make about any cast bullet subsonic in one and do it all with less powder. It would be even good enough for close up deer hunting and would make a great self defense gun in the home with a lot less penetration then a blackout. To me the Blackhawk doesn't make much sense. Sure it shoots flatter but lacks the power needed to clean kill if you stretch the range much past what you could use a 40 or 45 for. I once witnessed two guys who came pig hunting with there blackouts using suppressed ammo and it wasn't a good showing. if nothing else a 40 or 9 would be probably be cheaper to shoot using cast bullets then a 22 with what there getting for ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Just Right Carbine, 9mm, 40 and 45 acp.....i have 9mm with 45 acp kit....can be either, easy to switch, i run 33 round Glock mags made for Glock 18....very fine shooter .....love it.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JRC 45 acp.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	157763

Banned

looked into them Jim but they don't have last round bolt hold open and from what ive gathered there a pain in the but to clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP. View Post
    Just Right Carbine, 9mm, 40 and 45 acp.....i have 9mm with 45 acp kit....can be either, easy to switch, i run 33 round Glock mags made for Glock 18....very fine shooter .....love it.....Click image for larger version. 

Banned

jim how does yours do with cast?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP. View Post

Banned

They are still out there. Oly still makes them in many calibers. I believe STAG just recently came out with 9mm's. There's a fellow on the internet named Rudy that makes direct impingement AR's in 45 acp and believe it or not they run cleaner then blow back. They are expensive though.

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone make one in 10mm that takes Glock mags? Might as well use what's on hand already.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    They are still out there. Oly still makes them in many calibers. I believe STAG just recently came out with 9mm's. There's a fellow on the internet named Rudy that makes direct impingement AR's in 45 acp and believe it or not they run cleaner then blow back. They are expensive though.
    Rudy Koester, Macon Armory. Rudy is a good guy.

Banned

I don't think stag is making anything right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post

Boolit Master
    Rock River Arms LAR40
    they list it in their website.

I only have one pistol caliber AR, bought the kit from model1sales.

Boolit Master
    Lone wolf LLC also sells Glock-compatible uppers in .40 and lowers that take the 9/40/357 mags.

Boolit Buddy
    Palmetto State Armory has been making 9mm ARs for a while now that take UZI or Colt mags, if I'm not mistaken (I don't really know the difference). They somewhat recently started making special AR15 lowers that accept Glock magazines, which I believe requires you to buy a different upper from them.

I really like the idea of an AR that accepts Glock mags, but OTOH I'd want to SBR the lower eventually, and in that case I wouldn't want to be tied down to not only a single caliber but also a single magazine type, even if it is for a gun that will probably be around forever. I'd want the option of putting any kind of upper on the SBR lower.

FYI, this has been on my wish list for a while. With my cast 9mm being cheaper than 22LR for about 3 years, I'd rather have the kids shooting that kind of setup. Plus, once in SBR form, I think I would prefer it over a 223 for inside-the-house defense. I know it would be ear-ringing loud, but still quite quiet in comparison. I'm well aware of the argument against this idea, namely the reduced effectiveness of the 9mm when comparing to the 223 or other rifle rounds. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I believe that the ability to shoulder a light, short weapon (with a red-dot optic) would greatly enhance my ability to put the less effective rounds where they need to go to end the threat quickly, and a 30+ round magazine certainly wouldn't hurt.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I have a Colt AR 15 chambered in 9mm and absolutely love it.

You can always buy the Mech Tech kit for a Glock 10mm - https://youtu.be/wfVPEQfmHEA

On the higher end, there is always Thureon Defense for that 10mm - http://www.thureondefense.com/rifles
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Vendor Sponsor

Lloyd: instead of an Expensive AR why not look at a Kel Tec Sub 2000? I have a Gen 1 gun in 40 S&W which uses all Glock Mags including the 31 round Korean Mags.

The Gen 2 guns are out now and they are running about $350-400 and you can even get near a pistol caliber AR for that. You will find that most of these guns don't hold the bolt open on the last round. They are all Blow Backs and don't seem to have the bolt catch. Must be too hard to do?

Here's a pic of mine which has quite a few mods and it runs and shoots great. The new Gen 2 guns don't need nearly as much in the way of mods as the earlier guns do, but really for a 100 yard gun you don't need to do much at all as they are pretty efficient in Stock form.

One other really neat thing about the gun,,, It folds in half and is 17" long when folded. Mine fits perfectly in a small backpack with all it's support equipment.

Something to consider http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifle/sub-2000

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-11-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I can't believe what they want for the 9mm stuff. I could buy a couple quality handguns for the prices on the ar gear.
    I owned a couple keltecs and would pass on them for any price over about 50$ .

More and more offerings hitting the market though. That will hopefully drive prices down & let the quality guns shine in the coming years.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.