Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout barrel

Boolit Master

300 Blackout barrel

Any one have a recommendation for a good brand .300 Blackout barrel?

I don't need and can't afford a match grade high-end uber expensive barrel, just want a good shooting 300 Blackout barrel to put on one of my AR upper receivers.

I want a 16" barrel with carbine length gas port. Not interested in shooting sub-sonic, or suppressors, just want an easy AR conversion approximating 7.62x39 ballistics in the AR for deer hunting.

I realize the 300 Blackout is a little behind the 7.62x39, but still pretty close.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know if they make them, but check out Green Mountain barrels. Decent barrels very reasonable

Boolit Man
    We offer Odin Works barrels. Both 16" and 10.5". Guaranteed MOA accuracy, and comes with low pro gas block.

Check them out on our website.

Thanks,

Chris

www.leatherheadbullets.com

Boolit Master

Brownells had a good deal on one, under $100 with shipping. Just bought one two weeks ago, but will be a while to put together an upper.

On Black Friday I picked up a 7.5 inch Anderson barrel for under 70 bucks. Only one trip to the range so far but it show promise.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

That barrel from Brownells would be hard to beat for price. Just looked and it’s $106 sold out but with a back order button.

If you don’t want to shoot sub sonic pistol. Rather shoot rifle velocity cast bullets reaching up to catch 7.62x39 ballistics. The 7.62x40 WT is a better round. Same concept just less cast cut off and set up for lighter bullets super sonic. You can get them in a 1:12” twist rate. This would allow a 150 grain cast bullet to be driven to capacity without over spinning the bullet. Literature on the Wilson site shows the WT faster than the AK 47 round However I imagine that's done with a higher pressure than you can put behind a cast bullet. That is splitting hairs but I figured worth a mention.

You can read p on the Wilson Tactical here. White Oaks Armament also sell barrels chambered in 7.62WT but they use a tighter twist like 1:10” or so.
    http://wilsoncombat.com/new/762x40-project.asp

I ran across this barrel shop that does fill in the black barrel orders. Pick your twist and profile. You can buy about any caliber AR-15 barrel you’ve ever heard of. If you are wedded to the 300 BO for some reason’ You can order a 10 or 12 twist cast boolits friendly barrel in that caliber. What caught my eye was the ability to order 22 and 6mm barrels with a 14 twist barrel. The even have 16 twist 22 barrels. A 6x45 in 14 twist would shoot the NOE 70gr boolit to 2,400 fps with ease. I’d have to ask them about a 6x222 since that is my dream cast boolit shooter. But realistically I have my 222 Rem bolt gun and it shoots great so I’ll just keep shooting it. An AR upper on one of these barrels would be less $cash$ than my CZ however,. Not as pretty or lightweight.

If you were to order a custom barrel. Be sure to inform them you are making a cast bullet shooter. In 30 cal you want the 6 grove not the 5R rifling, for cast bullets.
    I’ve never done business with this shop and know nothing but what I’ve read on the internet. http://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

Gabby, thanks for that post. That is exactly what I want, good .30 cal performance in an AR for deer, without going to a larger and more expensive total new rifle in an AR-10 or changing out parts for a 7.62x39. Want to keep it simple and easy with a barrel change.

That 7.62x40WT with a 12" twist looks perfect!

I was going to mention that a 300 Blackout would be great with a 12" twist, but I figured some one would post, "That's not what it was designed for, why would you want that, you couldn't shoot subs, yada, yada, yada." Well I already know all that.

I got my 18" 1:10 carbine from McGowan, ~$250, took a while as the owner had heart problems a while back. I was interested in the 40Wt but it is optimized for 125gr jacketed. The problem, IMHO, is the short neck for heavy (150ish) cast boolits. I've gotten 145gr PB to >1800, close as I can get to MOA. I was going to chrony the 145 cast, 150 Hornady SP and 155 Amax but SIL forgot his ammo and shot all mine up this week. I'll load some more but by Hodgdon book, the 150 SP should be doing 1900. My 145 cast started short cycling so pressure is lower - probably up around 1950 fps. Sighted at 100, should be a 3-4" drop @ 150 so I expect a good deer/pig load - it's a FP. IMHO, the 40WT will have a GC barely below the shoulder for a 150, a longer neck would keep it all in the neck. Larger case volume may allow something other than 1680/110/lilgun to be used. I do have a 170 GC that works in the 308 I want to try in the BO. If I had the know how and equipment, pushing the BO shoulder and neck would be a fun experiment. I do think the 1:10 would be best for heavy 40WT. My 2 centavos.
    Whatever!

Hi popper:
    Where did you find a chamber drawing for the 7.62x40 WT. I can't find anything but a case dimension.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Pacific tool reamer dwg, Excel xls format so it won't post. Did a comparison with BO chamber - SAAMI - dwg.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I got my 16" from Rock Creek. Last one he had in stock right as all the Sandy Hook frenzy was starting. I like it so far. I'm planning another build and wanted a shorter barrel (8") and in doing my research found Ballistic Advantage. http://ballisticadvantage.com/ From what little I've read, they are owned by Aero Precision or are affiliated with them at least. Reviews are favorable and prices aren't bad. I'm still researching, but am leaning this way right now.

Boolit Master

My CMMG shoots great. Not the cheapest but still affordable

Boolit Master

I ordered a 16" SS barrel from X-caliber in 7.62x40WT with a 12" twist, carbine length gas port.

From reading about the 7.62x40WT, this cartridge duplicates 30/30 velocities. Here is data given by Western Powder company;

16"barrel

150gr bullet AA1680 21.1gr 1950 fps
    23.5 gr. 2200 fps

AA5744 20.0 gr 2175 fps
    22.3 gr 2375 fps

168 gr bullet AA1680 18.4 gr 1850 fps
    20.5 gr 2075 fps

AA5744 18.4 gr 1875 fps
    20.5 gr 2050 fps.
    Last edited by Hickok; 01-03-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Boolit Master

Well I'm a little late to the dance but I have used a couple of barrels from SOTA Arms and had good luck with them so far.

Hickok - now I have to get out and crony my BO loads to compare.
    Whatever!

Yes the WT gets right up there in 30-30 velocity territory. 150gr in a 30-30 is listed up around 2,350fps. But that's with a 24" barrel. VS the 16". 30-30 is however making that speed at 38,100 C.U.P. Where the WT is loaded up to 55,000. Not sure if that's PSI or CUP. But we are down to splitting hairs. 30-30 is in a small category of still popular rifle rounds that will actually make more speed and power with a cast bullet than with a jacketed bullet. But then I don't run my 30-30 loaded flat out because I've read it wears the brass out fast. Never even put that to the test. Second reason is recoil. Thus a WT would run 150gr at least as fast as I , in practice, run my little lever gun. What makes the WT or BO look like a real hammer is when you compare there ballistics to a 30 Carbine. 110gr bullet at 2,000fps. You don't ever hear the BO fans giving this comparison. Probably for the same reason you rarely hear a 7.62 NATO compared to the 30-40 Krag. 30 Carbine was considered a pistol caliber. I think it compared very favorably to the 9mm SMG’s and 7.62x25mm Tokarev’s. 300 BO or the WT leave any of those old pistol caliber sub guns in the dust on ballistics. I think many of the young fellows running 300 ACC don’t even know what a 30 Carbine is. They maybe saw Tom Hanks shoot one in the movies. This summer when a group of us were unloading a rental moving truck. An old 30 Carbine round came rolling out. No one but me even knew what it was.

Since I can still shoot the 200 grain RCBS 30-180-FN over LeverRevolution at over 1,900 fps from my Win 94. It’s staying I my gun cabinet. I still like old Western movies too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Any one have a recommendation for a good brand .300 Blackout barrel?

I don't need and can't afford a match grade high-end uber expensive barrel, just want a good shooting 300 Blackout barrel to put on one of my AR upper receivers.

I want a 16" barrel with carbine length gas port. Not interested in shooting sub-sonic, or suppressors, just want an easy AR conversion approximating 7.62x39 ballistics in the AR for deer hunting.

I realize the 300 Blackout is a little behind the 7.62x39, but still pretty close.
    Kind of curious as to why you want a carbine length gas port. I've built 3) 300 blks with Radical firearms 16" barrels with pistol length gas ports. They function great with anything from below minimum loads to maximum loads. I haven't had good luck using carbine length and have suffered from malfunctions galore.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Hickok - now I have to get out and crony my BO loads to compare.
    I'd figure your ten twist BO to run very close to the WT with 150 grain spitzers. Since loaded to magazine length. Bullet base will be in the same position with either round I think? Not any room for powder around a 308 bullet in that 223 case. Flat nose cast is shorter however. My Saeco #316 at 150gr is .875" long. I have an MP mold 180 grain HP made for 308 here that would load with no lead exposed , just most of the gas check, below the neck on a WT with a COL of 2.240”. Wilson basically just cuts off enough of the 223 neck so cases are easy to size. I thought about a long neck WT. Played around sizing up 223 with a 30 tapered button. Split three of five. So I think process would be a size up to 6mm, anneal, up to 277 anneal then 30 caliber and anneal again. Case wall from the neck portion ends up short of .009” thick. Easier to just design a bullet to fit the WT. Rather than wildcat a wildcat.

I chronyd the 145 PB @ 1950 with 4227, now using H110. Need to compare with 150 SP. They both hit POI about the same @100. Yes, I've split the neck on a bunch - but expanding to 6mm may be easier than neck turning them all - for BO. I don't shoot the 125 B-tip or SST or subs, just trying to figure if the 40WT really has an advantage for me. Pushing a 170 GC to 2200 would be an advantage but that size doesn't leave much room for powder in either case - longer neck would help. Mine is a rifle lower, 18" carbine upper, adjustable gas.
    Let us know how the Xcaliber - 40wt barrel is, delivery time?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Just for an experiment, I decided to try and make some 7.62x 40 cases with what I had on hand. First I cut the Lake City 5.56 mm Mil Spec case, at 1.580" with a Dremel cutter disc.

Next I annealed the neck portion. Then took a L.E. Wilson neck turning/expander mandrel for 7mm and put it in the L.E. Wilson expander die and put it in my RCBS press and expanded the case. Next went to a 30 caliber neck turning/expander mandrel and brought the 5.56MM case up to .30 cal. Trimmed case to 1.560".

I have a set of Pacific .30 Herrett loading dies, so I ran a case up into the sizing die until I had a .20" neck. Really a piece of cake. I left the shoulder slightly long for a good datum line for headspacing, so when I get my new set of 7.62x40WT dies I can push the shoulder back if needed.

Attachment 157165 L.C. 5.56, 7.62x40WT, and the last on the right, AK 7.62x39