RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice 300 ACC case trimming

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I've been very pleased with the NOE 310-196FN in the AR:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1858
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Need advice 300 ACC case trimming

I know it's not the cheapest. And certainly not the fastest. But the Forster trimmer is the most versatile. I have one of the three way cutters on it which saves me a lot of time. Don't have to chamfer or deburr as it's all done in one pass. Plus you can neck turn, neck ream and hollow point a bullet w/ the proper tooling. Not cheap or fast but very versatile. It's able to hold tolerances to .001 which is another plus.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I know it's not the cheapest. And certainly not the fastest. But the Forster trimmer is the most versatile. I have one of the three way cutters on it which saves me a lot of time. Don't have to chamfer or deburr as it's all done in one pass. Plus you can neck turn, neck ream and hollow point a bullet w/ the proper tooling. Not cheap or fast but very versatile. It's able to hold tolerances to .001 which is another plus.
    Between you and me, I have both this one, and the lee quick trim and the quick trim is more consistent, and faster. The Giraud trimmer I posted it about as good as it gets without going to the Dillon electric trimmer. Case prep is a pain, and with 300 BLK you will want lots of cases. Make your life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I've been very pleased with the NOE 310-196FN in the AR:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1858
    I looked at this, how is it with 1:9 twist?
    - detroitcharlie

~ Freedom isn't free, it's fought for. ~

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I'll check it out thanks!
    - detroitcharlie

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Between you and me, I have both this one, and the lee quick trim and the quick trim is more consistent, and faster. The Giraud trimmer I posted it about as good as it gets without going to the Dillon electric trimmer. Case prep is a pain, and with 300 BLK you will want lots of cases. Make your life easier.
    Excellent advice thank you!
    - detroitcharlie

There are many ways to skin the cat. The hf saw works well and if you are really tight on mo ey, some jb weld can get you a homemade jig to rough cut. Then CTS, WFT or the crow to get the exact finish trim quickly. Some people use a tubing cutter to do the rough cut and save even more.

I prefer a jig, hf saw, a CTS trimmer and just be done with it.

Visit www.300BlkTalk.com for a list of good bad and ugly brass.

David

You may also want to look at a sheridan slotted ammo gauge as a sure fire way to ensure your case forming is correct. A nice tool but not essential.

Boolit Master

I have the "vonzep" setup and believe me, it's a very fast and accurate method to trim .223 brass down and make 300 Blackout. I then tumble the brass in SS media and eliminate the need for deburring and chamfering. I use the WFT trimmer for final trim to length and load, easy peasy.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitcharlie View Post
    I looked at this, how is it with 1:9 twist?
    I have a 1:10 barrel, 1:9 should be no problem, even better if you are looking for subsonic work.

Depending on on whether you want fast or slow or both, lots of good mold designs out there. Www.300BlkTalk.com is a very good idea.

BTW, VonZep doesn't just make just the one jig,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I have a 1:10 barrel, 1:9 should be no problem, even better if you are looking for subsonic work.

Depending on on whether you want fast or slow or both, lots of good mold designs out there. Www.300BlkTalk.com is a very good idea.

BTW, VonZep doesn't just make just the one jig,,,,,,
    Thanks! =]
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    DTC, LC is IMO a good brass for 300. save commercial brass for the handi-rifle
    When I sit down to look at my rifles in the safe.....
    I can very consistently shoot one inch groups at 100 yards.
    When I sit on the bench at the shooting range.....
    I always wish I was sitting down looking at my rifles in the safe.

Boolit Mold
    I have trimmer brass for years with the inexpensive lee trimmer intended to be used by hand. The one with the pilot / length gauge which screws onto the cutter and is turned by hand while the case is held in a holder which can be chucked in a hand drill. I simply force fit a short piece of rubber hose over the outside of the cutter so my fingers can't get sliced up by the edge of the cutter then chuck the cutter in my drill press. I then can trim cases as fast as I can change cases in the holder. The drill press never has to be stopped and is stationary so all I have to do is tighten the case in the holder and slip it up over the pilot of the cutter and bingo case is trimmed. You can even precisely adjust the trim length by stoning the pilot tip to yield the exact trim length desired. Dirt cheap, fast and more consistent trim lengths than anything else I have ever used.

Boolit Mold
    I I first use the redding file trim die, and cut the protruding brass off with a coping saw. This is extremely fast and easy.
    I then deprive and set the shoulder with my sizing die. The case mouth is usually a little rough so the next step is to trim in my little crow trimmer.
    It is easy and produces nice brass

xxxxx
    Last edited by Big Dog; 05-08-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    my preferred method of cutting down 5.56 cases to make .300 Blackout

https://youtu.be/TwZ78yj_NR8
    What are you using to hold the cases and what type of milling / drill bit are you using?

Boolit Grand Master

I've used the WFT when processing 223/308 brass. It works well, fairly quick and repeatable trim length. Is it as quick and nice as the Giuraud? No. But the cost is substantially less and it works. It is a mindless task with the WFT and you can sit and watch TV and leisurely trim brass. Just be prepared for all the brass shavings

xxxxx
    Last edited by Big Dog; 05-08-2016 at 01:40 PM.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Big Dog; 05-08-2016 at 01:40 PM.