Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy-question about lead source

Boolit Mold

new guy-question about lead source

Long time lurker, first time poster. Have been loading commercial cast boolits for quite a while and thinking about trying my hand at casting. Have an almost unlimited supply of range scrap and lead splatter from the pistol bay at my gun club. Looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70FFF0E6-08C7-4C74-A9BE-04EE097FC43B.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	156199

We have sandy soil and its easy to sift the large boolit slugs from the sand in a regular sifter, and we have some steel targets hanging inside tires I can scoop the splattered lead from. The pic is about 70lbs of scrap, a little over half a 5 gal bucket, pretty clean. My question, would this make a decent cast boolit to shoot at moderate speeds in 9mm and 40. I would probably be looking at 950-1000 FPS in 9, and 850-900 FPS in 40. If all goes well would probably cast for .45 also.

I shoot competitive pistol matches, IDPA and Steel Challenge, but also NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi cup style matches where accuracy is very important. I would be coating the bullets instead of running traditional lube. Most likely with the PC from smoke here on the forum, but thats still to be determined.

Thanks for any help. I hope I have provided enough info to get a good answer. If it helps, I believe 99.9% of the lead is from pistol bullets that have flattened/deformed/exploded against steel.

Welcome aboard. Yes, your source material will work very well in the application you suggest. You may want to add a little tin and antimony, but for starters you should be in fine shape. Have at it!

Take care, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Welcome aboard. Yes, your source material will work very well in the application you suggest. You may want to add a little tin and antimony, but for starters you should be in fine shape. Have at it!

Take care, Tom
    Great source. You will likely find you have to harden it up a little bit depending on how much copper jacket is in the mix. Their lead cores many times are very soft lead.

Boolit Mold
    Looks like good material to me. When it is melted, stir well, maybe flux the material but I doubt if this is necessary. Idea is to get all the non lead material, sand, jacketed bullet fragments, etc to float on top where they can be dipped off and disposed of. I find an old table spoon works fine for the dipping and stirring.

haynk

Boolit Master

I also think you have a good supply of lead. The cast bullet lead will most likely be harder than the lead from jacketed bullets. Or lead from cast bullets should be ideal for more cast bullets. If you are going to PC then hardness will not matter if you can cast a good bullet.
    You did not mention whether you cleaned the scrap lead with water or not. If so be very careful about refilling your smelting pot. Also the sand may have enough moisture to cause you trouble.
    I would flux it multiple times in the smelting pot to get as much of the impurities out as possible.
    A properly cast and PC bullet will be accurate enough for your usage.

I have been shooting almost exclusively range scrap for the last 2 years, all bought here, in ingots for reasonable prices.

But, if you have access to raw range scrap jump on it. Buy a little tin/ pewter for sweating.

If there is enough of it you can recover some of your setup costs by selling a flat rate box full of ingots.
    Just need to smelt it down. Resell the copper jackets for scrap.

In my experience most range lead works fine if you just don't try to push it too fast.

I've tested a lot of range scrap and it is typically 99% Pb and 1% Sn. Give or take a couple of tenths. If your mold fills out well, and you powder coat, them, You are probably fine.

the suggestion to add some Sn will help fill out you mold and up the hardness a little.

I tried a couple of different coatings and powder coating using the air soft BBs is definitely the easiest and cheapest way to go. It just works!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    It was bullets before, it can be bullets again. Simple as that.

Sounds good just do it. You will love it.

Boolit Mold
    I have been using range scrap for 9, 40, & 38 loads with no issues. I have not needed to add tin but am not pushing the loads fast. Clean up the jacket-scrap a bit and you will get full price for it at the recycle place--my last 5gal bucket about a yr ago was worth $1.80/lb.

Boolit Mold
    Okay, thanks for all the replies. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time collecting. It is surprisingly clean considering where it came from, and letting it bounce around in the back of my truck for a few weeks seems to help settle the sand to the bottom of the bucket so that should help when it come time to smelt it down.

I appreciate the warnings about water and molten lead. I've read about this and don't want my first casting attempt to be a disaster, I believe the scrap is clean enough to not need any washing off.

Even if I have to buy some tin or antimony to help with the hardness its got to be more cost effective than buying the commercial cast bullets at the rate I have been to this point.

Guess I need to start getting some casting equipment now, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions about that in the coming days. Gonna get the holidays out of the way and get at this in January. Thanks again all.

Boolit Master

Start cruising garage sales and resale shops for a propane turkey fryer set-up and a cast iron pot. Even if it seems real clean, don't smelt in your casting pot.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Start cruising garage sales and resale shops for a propane turkey fryer set-up and a cast iron pot. Even if it seems real clean, don't smelt in your casting pot.
    Well, it may or may not be cheaper in terms of dollars spent. It certainly doesn't pay off relative to the time spent. You have to like it as a hobby to justify the time invested. However, one HUGE advantage or benefit to casting your own is that you get to tailor the projectile to your firearm. Hardness, diameter, lube....

Boolit Master

Welcome to the dark side,it's a addiction for sure, one day you'll buy a mold that looks like a very good deal,then comes lube dies lube sizer Oh yeah you still need brass and loading dies,did I mention a new Gun for that caliber.........Welcome again enjoy the ride and have fun casting
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 12-23-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the range scrap I've tested runs between 10 and 14 BHN, depending on how much 22 LR and jacketed bullets is in the scrap. The lead I've purchased here, from vendor-sponsors is already cleaned and in ingots, so I don't know the ratio/alloy, just BHN. For my PCed bullets I just use it as it is...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Range scrap is one of the more reliable alloy sources. You at least know they will make adequate bullets, since they were once bullets. Welcome to the hobby.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    dondiego,hello sir , I'm new to casting and wonder about not smelting in your cast iron melting pot?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buntingmiester View Post
    dondiego,hello sir , I'm new to casting and wonder about not smelting in your cast iron melting pot?
    Smelting the raw lead and scrap in your bottom pour melting pot will lead to clogs and poor fill out. Better to clean all the lead and flux it in a separate container first, then use it in your casting pot.

Boolit Master

With a large cast iron pot on a turkey fryer you can smelt a lot more raw material at one time also. Only add the clean ingots to your casting pot.

Watch the weight though...fish and turkey fryers (built to hold water or oil) are not built to take the weight you could put on them with lead. A leg fails and your day (month and year) could be ruined.