Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannonballs - anyone cast them?

Boolit Buddy
    In the N-SSA Mortar Competition is very popular. The target is usually a stick downrange. The trick to win is who places their mortar balls closest to the stick.

Google up Joe Tanner. He is in England but can make you up round ball moulds in almost any size (including mortar and cannon). I ordered a pistol mould from him and had it in less than a week.

Boolit Master

Give Stan Wiedner a call at Wiedener's shooting Supply. He has a civil War Parrot rifle. (a cannon with a rifled barrel) I'm sure he can put you on the right track.

Boolit Master
    About 30 years ago when I lived in Anchorage I used to go out toward Wasilla to watch a guy shoot a Cannon. He used Holy Black, newsprint for wadding, and balls made from Plaster of Parris(sp?). The balls flew straight but not too far and if they landed in a soft spot could sometimes be used again.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

if i had a cannon, i would cast them, that is assuming i could find enough lead. right now, it is getting pretty tough for me to find.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Mold
    How about using concrete to cast round balls? The ball has to have a cloth of paper wadding any right? I think that would be pretty cheap wouldn't it?

I don't have a cannon but would like to build one. Due to costs, I'm guessing that the bore would have to be between 1.5" and 3.0" to be worthwhile and affordable.

are there any cannon ranges in Texas?

jim
    Last edited by Chainsaw76; 12-16-2015 at 12:09 PM.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    . I have a 1 lb french Model 75 recoilless Black powder Cannon. . it is 44mm. . ( golf ball size0 ) shoot 1 lb. round lead sinker very well. also will take 40MM Conical surplus projectiles
    20 ' wheels 1/3 scale
    I get them @ my local Fishing and bait shop
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Moderator Emeritus

All I can say is from an onlooker's experience. A friend once had a 1.5" scale model cannon, and cast lead balls for it from the above mentioned downrigger wt. molds. He and a friend reamed the bore out and did a pretty fair job of polishing it out. Then I think they used about a film canister full of 1F, IIRC, and after having fun shooting it into some big pine woods, he walked down just to survey what those little 1.5" lead round balls had done, and when he came back, he had a very clearly worried look on his face. Those RB's had cut down 50' tall pine trees, and not just one per ball, either. It'd go through one, glance off at a small angle, hit another further away, cut or damage it, and would continue until 5 or 6 trees had been cut, damaged, or felled completely.

So be MUCH more careful with them than you would with a regular high powered rifle round. They take a LOT of stopping before they'll come to rest. Awful lot of fun, though, as long as you keep it safe, and don't wind up going to jail or prison for negligent homicide. No first time cannoneer I know has fully realized what they can do until AFTER they really see it. Concrete balls may shatter when hitting something, but they're no wussy loads either. Just the muzzle blast from a blank charge (like in a salute) would easily cut a man in half at close range.

Great fun, but ONLY if you respect them, and I mean a LOT!

Boolit Buddy
    MANY years ago, a guy I knew who was in a N-SSA cannon team (drink can size smoothbore gun) asked me to machine them a "pellet style" projectile similar to a .177cal pellet but BIGGER. I did, they cast up several, and invited me to go along with them to try them out. To make a long story short, they mis-aimed the cannon, and two of the first flew over the backstop and into the pine forest about 300 yards away. What those did to the trees, was phenomenal! One went right threw a 12" dia tree, glanced off next, lost track of it. Other went through several small trees, cut down one. They were trying to recover the lead, those were HEAVY.

Steve

Boolit Buddy
    I have a inch and a half bore cannon. I just shoot blanks by using inch and a quarter doll rod and about one forth of a red shop towel for packing. Doll rod goes about 100 feet and turns into tooth picks.

I happen to have two cannon ball molds but I lack the cannon, my wife put her foot down. Once mold is a 2 1/4" 3 pounder and if I recall the other is an 8 pounder but I don't have a clue as to the diameter. Although the molds are in Wyoming and I'm in Texas, if anybody is interested in them I could probably get them shipped out by my brother. PM me if you're interested.

How about filling the tennis ball with plaster of Paris or concrete

Boolit Master
    Long ago 2 brothers-in-law with a curious nature (and not much common sense) decided to build a cannon. It involved a fence post driver, a welder and black powder. Which at the time was reasonably affordable. Cannon balls warn't much available then but one of the fellers had done some casting in metal shop in high school and cast his own roundballs fer muzzleloaders. A trip to the hobby store found some Styrofoam balls of appropriate size and by burying them in tight packed sand and a filler hole made with a dowel they were soon casting said cannonballs....and downriggers for Raystown Lake. The Styrofoam vaporized when the molten lead hit it and whallah..instant large round balls. Nevermind the poisonous vapors they inhaled and might explain some of the baldness and mental incapacities they now have. Or it could just be old age. I'm just sayin' is all. Audie...the Oldfart..