Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45acp powder recommends request

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	155487VV powders are by design, quite clean and have been some of the cleanest I have ever used, but tend to be pricier and I've only used VV powder to try in the past.

A combination of cleanliness and speed are not hard to achieve. I'd recommend BE-86 powder from Alliant. It can be used in a host of different calibers, is quite clean and has added flash suppressant as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    ETR7 is the cleanest burning easiest loading powder I have ever used. Also the most economical these days!

http://expansion-industries.com/relo...owder-4lb.html

The have published load data for 45ACP which I have used very successfully in the past.

I use it for ALL my pistol loads these days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The OP is not asking for the "best powder" or what we like or use for use in the 45 ACP. I agree with most and use Bullseye myself for my standard loads.

The OP wants 1000 - 1050 fps with a 200 gr cast bullet out of his M1911. Using Bullseye for that, or WST or 231 for that matter, is going to get pretty dicey pressure wise. We might best think about what the OP wants and is asking before we throw out simply what we like or are using that doesn't answer the OP's question. Just saying is all........

Larry Gibson

Yep, for sure. Why I suggested in post #9 to use the slower burning powders for this caliber.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bullseye and Unique. Mostly Bullseye.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Driving a 200gr 1,000fps+ from a 1911 is going to be tough with std powders and stay within pressure specs i think.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

You've received some good advice here, particularly about not getting 1000+ fps. from a fast burning powder. The comments about VV powders being clean is supported in my experience as well. As mentioned, there are probably 50 powders that can give really good results in the .45 with 200 gr. LSWC's, but there are few who'll give 1000 fps. That's the problem you're up against.

The two that come to mind are Unique and CFE Pistol, but I haven't used any CFE in it yet, so can give no testimonials on that. On Unique, though, I've shot a ton in my time, and that's not all that far from being true, too literally. Long ago, I found 700X gave good lighter loads, but Unique left absolutely nothing to be desired for the heavier loads. Unique is, as the name indicates, a very "unique" powder. No other powder of my acquaintance covers as many bases as Unique. Its formulation seems to make it burn well at low, med and high pressures, up to a point of course. It won't give top velocity in ctgs. like .357 and .44 mags, but it sure does a good job for med. vel. loads even there. It's definitely the most versatile powder I've ever found, for sure. Good luck finding some now, though.

And that touches on the biggest problem you're likely to encounter - FINDING what you want. In lieu of that, just get whatever you can, and try to get 1 or 2 lbs. of whatever you can FIND, and see how it works. If you want warmish loads, just use the max. listed charge, and accept a tad less velocity than your aim is for right now. It'd be a VERY rare day if your target could tell the difference, I assure you. Then, when you can, get an 8 lb'er of Unique, and you'll be set for a good while.

As to accuracy, that's probably more a function of our loading techniques than it is on what powder we choose in the .45, usually, and I'd recommend crimping as a separate and final step if you want good, reliable reloads. It DOES make a difference, and eliminates the tiny little pushed up ring of lead that seating and crimping in the same step usually yield. Those tiny little rings may seem insignificant, and they are ... for a while. But they'll accumulate and plate themselves to the front of your chamber and cause failures to fully close relatively quickly. This ain't good if you plan on stopping charging anything with your gun and loads. Just a lil' tip to help you survive. Too many people are in too big a hurry to load their ammo, and that's one of the reasons many recommend factory loads for self defense. Assemble your reloads with judgment and care, and they'll serve you at least as well as factory loads. I like them better because I KNOW what's in them - every single one I chamber. I find that reassuring. YMMV, of course.

Boolit Master
    WST, Red Dot, PP, 231 BE the list goes on and on. Almost all pistol powders will show a load for 45 acp. The 1000+ target is a little fast for my taste with a 200. Good luck

Boolit Master

Lyman cast manual sez HS6 will get you there

Boolit Master
    well I don't have a chrono so YMMV. Just tested my 45 ACP loaded with blue dot (200gr HP w/ 9.5gr). Felt like a damn cannon, but point of impact was dead on with sights and no excessive pressure signs. Wasn't a planned powder just ended up with some and trying to find a use for it.

There are many good powders for the .45 acp. with that said I've use Clays, 231, Bullseye, and now I'm using Titegoup. Clays was my cleanest burning powder I like Titegroup and have been shooting thousands and thousands of rounds with it. But my favorite bullet is a cast 200 grain SWC. Check Hodgdon web site they have great info. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Boolit Master
    I use 231 and BE for normal target loads. Just tried cfe for the first time in 9mm. Give it a look, print clean and seemed consistent

I can't add any help to the 1,000 fps goal, but for "clean" recommendations I've been having great luck with Ramshot Competition. The local shop had some for ~$26/lb. and my Bullseye was getting a little low so I thought I'd give it a try. 4.0 gr. with 230 RNL and 4.2 with 201 LSWC (RCBS moulds) using the published data works very well, no unburned powder, very little smoke, and accuracy better than I am capable of.

What is unusual is that this powder is not the usual black/grey color. It's a light tan, almost translucent color, so I'm guessing that graphite isn't used as a coating/inhibitor on it like all the usual powders I have used so far.

Chris

I'd have to go look at my notebook to be sure, but I was shooting that boolit and a H&G68 clone at about those speeds with Accurate #7 powder. I don't remember it being dirty compared to my usual W231.

Boolit Buddy
    I use WST in my .45 ACP. About 5.0 grains seems to do the trick w/ 200gr powder coated boolits.
    Cogito ergo sum ego iacio (Google Translate)
    ------------------------
    Reloading and casting are like approaching a black hole; once you pass the event horizon there is no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassFinger View Post
    I can't add any help to the 1,000 fps goal, but for "clean" recommendations I've been having great luck with Ramshot Competition. The local shop had some for ~$26/lb. and my Bullseye was getting a little low so I thought I'd give it a try. 4.0 gr. with 230 RNL and 4.2 with 201 LSWC (RCBS moulds) using the published data works very well, no unburned powder, very little smoke, and accuracy better than I am capable of.

What is unusual is that this powder is not the usual black/grey color. It's a light tan, almost translucent color, so I'm guessing that graphite isn't used as a coating/inhibitor on it like all the usual powders I have used so far.

Chris
    Ill second the cleanliness of ramshot competition. The velocity ceiling seems pretty real, though... I pushed beyond the book loads with 200 gr h&g68, and did not see much velocity increase but experienced worse accuracy. The few that i shot seemed beyond the sweet spot for the powder.

I am with the unique recommendation, and i figured i would throw sr4756 into the discussion. Ive not done any heavy load testing with it in the 45 acp, but it offered impressive loads from 9mm and 38 spl where ive tried it. Problem of course is finding any sr4756.

Accurate #7 might be worth trying too

Boolit Bub
    The trick is getting that kind of velocity out of that bullet in a 45 auto and not exceed pressure limits. Hodgdon's web site has data for cfe pistol that would get us into the ballpark and I have seen that powder available recently. I usually choose a bit faster powder for my 45 auto loads. I have used cfe pistol in 9mm with good results.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Driving a 200gr 1,000fps+ from a 1911 is going to be tough with std powders and stay within pressure specs i think.
    My best accuracy and recoil management comes around 800 fps or so. Is there a reason you want to take them to 1000fps.??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

For +p loads I've used HS6, but only in +p or 45 super brass. It will get you what you want but I suggest going up a few lbs on your recoil spring if you plan to shoot alot of these.

I cast the Lee 200rf as well. Love it. I load it over 4gr of clays and call it a day. Super accurate and you can Barely even tell the guns been shot. Only runs about 850 though...
    Father of three, Husband of one. Firearm collecter, amateur reloader, lousy pistol shooter, avid lead caster, venison aficionado

Boolit Buddy
    Bullseye meters well but is dirty and has sharp recoil impulse IMO. 231 was my standby for years of plate and IPSC shooting with a softer recoil at like velocities. But WST is a great metering powder, clean as it gets and is my go to .45acp powder for the last few years. 700X is also a clean fast burner and may be better for faster loadings than my match shooting loads. Really 700x is great for almost everyrhing below magnum loads and I've even used it in light .223 loads, it just doesn't meter that well compared to WST, WSF or Bullseye.