Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY patches, 50 cal

Moderator Emeritus

DIY patches, 50 cal

I dont' recall where I read it...but I did read about it about a month ago.
    About using a 1-1/8" Arch punch (leather work style) to cut your own patches.

Well I finally ordered one. It isn't here yet, but am looking for any hints, tips tricks ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Perm-Banned
    see your pm/s

Boolit Master
    I use 2 hole saws chucked up in my drill press. I use a 2" for cleaning patches, 1 1/8 fir shooting patches . I grind all the teeth off flush on the hole saw, then bevel the outside on a belt sander, take a stone on a dremel tool and make a pass around the inside, sharp and ready to use. I save old T shirts, and got to a thrift store when they have bag day, all you can stuff in for a dollar, fill them full of old t shirts. I cut the sleeves off for rags and fold the shirts up thick, place a 12" piece of 2x6 each time I press down, makes about 20 patches, 15 minute of work can fill a gallon freezer bag full of cleaning patches, do the same with ticking or linen for shooting patches!

The arch punch will work, but it takes some effort. I find that a hardwood block on top of a solid bench is needed. On top of that place corrugated cardboard. Fold the cloth for three thicknesses, and place on top of the cardboard. Each time you cut you will get three patches and one plug of cardboard. This is what works best for me.

However, square patches cut with a scissors are just as good.

Boolit Buddy

For round ball I place a ball on an old t-shirt, pull tight with thumb and forefinger, cut with scissors. Now I have a round patch sized to the ball.

Banned

square patching works just as well as round patching. using a patch strip and cutting at the muzzle after you thumb down the ball is best of all because the resulting patch will not only be the correct size, it'll also be concentric to the ball and bore and rifling. i do the same patch strip cut when loading a ball board.

Banned
    I've always used square cut patches and do not trim them.I just ram them down.I cut the material with a rotary cutter.easy peasy lemon squezzy.you can cut 100's in a few minutes.
    A 56 caliber bench gun I owned years back shot many inch groups this way and 100 yards. That makes me think a square patch is just fine.

Boolit Buddy

I usually use old t shirts for shooting patches with round balls, just start the ball and cut the cloth flush with the muzzle. It just part of my loading process

Boolit Buddy
    I always used bulk patch as well. Always gave the best groups.

Mike
    Last edited by HATCH; 08-08-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: TOS#5

Boolit Bub
    Mackay Queensland, Australia on the East Coast with the Great Barrier Reef offshore
    Ten years back you could buy a yard of packaged pillow ticking- I believe it was Ox Yoke and had cut patches from that.
    A few years later I was going to fabric shops and bought pillow ticking off the roll and cut my patches from that.

I see that today one can buy only packaged cut patches at the muzzle loading supply places.

I surmise that that either less people cut their own. or the retailers are greedier and make more $ from precut packaged patches.

Down here in Australia I am unable to buy any pillow ticking at all other than that already made up into pillows. I now use heavy seeded homespun linen and 7.5 oz denim.

Banned
    In the US of A walmart has pillow ticking for $6-$7 per yard.

JonB, I used one of those for a while and by folding the cloth several times could cut quite a few at once. Like Tatume, I found that using a decent lump of log, on a solid bench, was necessary to get the best results - and it required a couple of decent wacks with a hammer! I've gone over to cutting square patches (using a pair of battery scissors) as it's quicker and easier - and the guns haven't complained yet!

Whitesmoke, it is almost impossible to buy decent pillow ticking here in Oz. The stuff that Spotlight sells (and it's probably the same stuff that other shops may have) doesn't have the weave density that the Yanks seem to be able to get. I've tried a light canvas, which seems to be a bit denser, and soak my patches in hot lube, my theory being that it will fill the weave better.

Seems to work ok.

Boolit Master
    Use your old well washed and worn Jeans,Denim seems to be ideal for my .45 Flintlock Rifle.Just a tap with a small mallet at the breach then a long starter and ram home.I draw round a small Bottle on the Denim and cut three at a time with scissors.When a Ball is removed ( my breach Plug is removable) the material weave in impressed into the Lead.I use a little Olive Oil wiped onto the patches between finger and thumb.

Boolit Buddy

I went shopping for pillow ticking yesterday at Jo-Anns Fabric store. The sales lady looked at me funny when I measured the cloth with my micrometers. It was .015 thick and 100% cotton, so I bought two yards for $10.00 and change with the 40% coupon.
    http://www.joann.com/coupon/
    "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." - Sam Ervin

Banned
    I'm surprised you could buy pillow ticing in California being that you could use it for shooting a firearm. Kidding.... but that's probably coming<g>

Moderator Emeritus
    I use this, cuts any size you want, best hand patch cutter I have ever used.

http://www.pinetreestrading.co.uk/ek...les-6024-p.asp

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbashooter View Post
    I've always used square cut patches and do not trim them.I just ram them down.I cut the material with a rotary cutter.easy peasy lemon squezzy.you can cut 100's in a few minutes.
    A 56 caliber bench gun I owned years back shot many inch groups this way and 100 yards. That makes me think a square patch is just fine.
    Hmmm just something about a square patch in a round hole
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBrewer View Post
    I went shopping for pillow ticking yesterday at Jo-Anns Fabric store. The sales lady looked at me funny when I measured the cloth with my micrometers. It was .015 thick and 100% cotton, so I bought two yards for $10.00 and change with the 40% coupon.
    http://www.joann.com/coupon/
    How many patches can you get out of 2 yards?wow
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 12-15-2015 at 03:38 AM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    don't hammer on the punch. takes too much time. take punch and chuck it in a drill press. wrap material around board 4-5 wraps. turn on drill press and cut patches turn board over and cut other side. once you get going you can cut about 1000 in 15 min.
    with what is left unwrap any pieces big enough cut in to patches with shears. what is left then put in an can and make char cloth.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm. I gotta try the drill press trick. I too use Osborn arch punches for all my patch cutting. Pillow ticking folded over a half dozen times and whacked with a 2-pound hammer on the end grain of a chunk of firewood does the trick. The drill press idea should make it easier.

Hint: keep your arch punches razor sharp (and only sharpen on the outside of the cutting edge) for minimal effort expended while punching out patches.