RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Serpentine lathe belt

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Serpentine lathe belt

Serpentine lathe belt anyone use one
    I am taking my spindle down (Logan 200) so now the time to use a 1 piece belt.

Any other recommendation?

Thanks
    Last edited by DCP; 12-10-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

In Remembrance

Try ebay. A guy on there sells the flat belts cut to your length really reasonable. Can't remember the name but it wasn't hard to find. Search for "lathe belt". I bought twoo for my old Southbend. Good belt.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Looked though a lot of listings

I found this but its $50.00,
    Serpentine lathe belt should be about $25.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...SJUbo2o97mZlzA

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I got raw-material for a leather-belt from Tandys several years ago and made a one-piece belt for my lathe. One layer was not enough. Two layers worked well. Naturally, the splices were staggered 90 degrees. Leather glue was used. No sign of it loosening, yet. It was easy to make.

Boolit Master

I think I want a 1 piece belt with no spline or do I?

I have a nice belt now that has a metal spline that is a little noisy

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Try practical machinist forum, they have a sticky about using automotive serp belts. Leather has worked for well over a hundred years but they slip and produce airborne leather dust. If you have a clipper belt splicing vise you could easily make one from most anything.
    Lab
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You will also probably have to stitch the leather flat belt together. My pedestal SB is that way. If it ever breaks, I will have to look up the old directions I have for directions for correctly lacing a flat belt....something nobody knows how to do today!

banger

I laced up an automotive flat serpentine belt for my Heavy 10 lathe. Works well with less slippage.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Bub
    I have a Logan 200 and I have a serpentine belt on mine. It had a leather belt when I got it, and I replaces it right away.I got mine at an auto parts store.It ended up being a little short, and won't let the belt cover close all the way, but it doesn't matter. The lathe still works well.
    The lathe is out at a friend's shop, and I don't remember the size. However, if you take in your old belt, I'm sure that you will be able to find a good match.
    Lots of good info on the Logan Lathes forum on Yahoo, too.
    Rick W

Boolit Master
    I make mine out of pvc conveyor belts. has not given any problems in 10 years of use. thing to think about if you crash or over power the cutter would it not be better and cheaper to fix if the belt pops off.

as for noise run one of the newer gear head lathes. that tick of the lacing is nothing.

I used to work in a parts house. We bought from a supplier who made conveyor belts.
    One day I told him about my old lathe (1923 SB 11"X5') he was interested in getting a lathe.
    I told him my belt was getting old. Next time I saw him he had three belts for me.
    I offered to show him more about lathe work. But we kind of lost touch.
    So you might try some place that makes belts.

And the tick of the lacing is kind of relaxing to me.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    My father used to use staples to join the belt ends together. Made a lot of noise. You don't have to use staples or stitches to hold them together. Glue will do it. Mine has lasted about 10-15 years now and shows no sign of failure. Taper the ends of the leather (5:1 slope) and glue them together. A couple of metal pieces and C-clamps will hold them together while the glue dries. I used it that way for a few months, but saw that it was stretching. Like I said before, I added a second layer of leather (both about 1/8" to 3/16" thick). Haven't had any stretching since. Very quiet compared to staples (and I imagine stitches).

Boolit Master

If you glue the belt together what brand and or type of glue is it.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I should have held on to one of the belt lacers when I liquidated assets after closing the old MGM Machine Shop. Still had a little leather belting left, the staples and 2 lacers.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    If you glue the belt together what brand and or type of glue is it.
    I don't know. I used some glue that I bought at Tandy when I bought the belts. I just told them what I was going to be using it for. I guess they know more than me about leather glue.