RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Remington 141 trigger

Remington 141 trigger

Greetings

Are there any Remington 14-141 owners out there? I just recently started shooting my heirloom rifle in .32 rem. It sat in the rack for decades from lack of ammo. I am now loading my own and the gun shoots pretty well so far. The trigger seemed awfully stiff though. Today I checked the trigger pull on four shotguns and two rifles and the 141 is way out front at 13 pounds. I know this gun has a reputation for being mechanically complex and somewhat hand built. I am reluctant to fool with it but am having a hard time shooting consistent groups. Maybe in a hunting situation it wouldn't matter. Just wondered if this is a characteristic of this gun . Any comments or advise would be appreciated.

Tamerack

Just measured my model 14 and it is 6 1/2 lbs. I don't know why yours is so heavy.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master
    I have a Model 141 and the trigger is normal pull weight for a sporting rifle. I've never taken it apart completely. If you look on eBay or Gunbroker.com, you should be able to find a reprint of their takedown manual for not too much money if you feel the need.
    They are pretty smooth working guns in my experience. I have taken apart a Remington Model 25, also designed by John Pedersen, of WW I's Pedersen device fame. That one was a bit tricky in getting back together.
    Good Luck

You know.....fellow cheesehead, the first thing I would do is a thorough cleaning. Some od the old weapons will have unbelievable gunk in them. Check out the springs after that. Make sure nothing is broken. Also make sure a burr hasn't developed anywhere.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    My 141/.32 Remington has a nice 4 pound trigger. It may be that yours is just "gummed up" with decades of oil and hunting debris. I suggest you pull off the buttstock and soak the whole action in Ed"s Red for a couple of days and then blow dry and lightly lube. They can be disassembled but you have to really pay attention or there will be puzzlement on reassembly. We had a nice little thread on the rifles here not long ago too. BvT

As for shooting, you must be consistent in keeping a little forward pressure on the pump handle with the palm of your hand and put the back of your hand on whatever you use for a rest. I've been shooting the Hornady 170 fp over 4895 at .32 Winchester full power levels, with one in the chamber and just two in the tube as I felt that had an accuracy affect .
    Last edited by Baron von Trollwhack; 05-27-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: to improve the response
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Buddy
    Tamerack
    I sent an e-mail with pictures of the take down on the 141. If it don't work let me know and I will try again. Its been about 25 years since I owned a 141 but if memory serves me correct it is easy to field strip to clean and it had a nice trigger.
    Good luck
    Chuck

Thanks guys, I will break it down again when I have time to concentrate. I am trying to get it squared away befor deer season comes again. New rules allow me to use a rifle around home instead of the ol slug gun. I have been shooting Speer 170 grains , 30 to 32 gr 3031. Grandpa got his buck every year with this gun. I don't remember ever seeing more than one bullet hole in them. Looks like I get my chance this fall.

Boolit Buddy
    I would have to agree with those before me that it could probably use a good degreasing and cleaning. It's amazing how the crud builds up, especially if it has been sprayed down with WD-40 and left sit. I don't own a 141 anymore but have been trying to solve that for sometiime. I really liked the one I had as a kid in .30 Rem. Wish I'd realized what a great cartridge it was back then... I have a bunch of trigger shoes marked to fit 141 that I will be listing on the Swappin and Sellin forum when I get the stuff sorted out. If any of you guys have a 141 that you think could stand a better trigger, a shoe can give it a whole different feel. And, I'll gladly trade a couple hundred shoes for just 1 nice 141
    Keep your plow share and your sword, know how and when to use them.

In Remebrance

Boy, it's nice to see some guys using these old timers. I can't wait to get my 32 M14 off layaway. Get your 30 Rem brass while you can for conversion, it's kind of rare these days.

Boolit Master
    My treasure is a M-141 chambered to 35 Remington. I have owned it for at least 25 years and hve shot it very sparingly as it is almost new condition. I do believe that status has come to an end. It is time that I started casting for it. Had planned to give it to #1 grandson for xmas but think that I will hold off on that until I get to play with many, many cast loads. Neil