WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Old oily wood on 94 Winchester

Old oily wood on 94 Winchester

Guys, I recently purchased an old 94 Winchester off Gunbroker. I haven't received it yet.

The photos of the old girl indicate that she has some pretty oily wood. The rest of the finish is pretty thin on the metal as well. I don't see any pressing need to refinish it, just maybe spruce it up a little by de-oiling the stocks.

I wonder if there is a way to extract some of the oil from the wood? I had read that putting the stocks in kitty litter in a black plastic bag in the sun for a couple - few days would do a pretty good job.

I wonder if there isn't a better way?
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1133.aspx

Get some stock whiting, an old remedy if the EPA shows up at the duck blind cause of the oil slick.

Nice, I have an old rifle that could benefit from this. I'll have to look into it.
    Sully

Boolit Master
    That whiting is probably, don't know for sure, boric acid powder. It might do the same thing. Get it a drug store.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy

I use Easy-Off oven cleaner. Just spray in on and set it in the warm sunlight or under a light bulb. It may take two or three coats. Simply rinse off with soap and warm water and let it dry. I also recommend using nitrile gloves as the stuff is pretty hard on hands.

Boolit Master
    the [KITTY] stuff has additive's. get the oil dry from advance, auto ? but keep it warm sun light window or the like it will get most, then go to heat and brake cleaner

Boolit Master
    I just redid a nice old IJ SxS 20bore.The stocks had signifigant oil in the head of butstock and around the forend metal. I did some reading( here most likely) and decided to use the Acetone bath ! I took a stainless pan and submurged the stocks under acetone for several days. You have to keep it tightly covered or it will evaporate in short order. I pulled them out when the checkering was clean and most of the oil was out of the head. It seemed to stop changing after a few days and I was satisfied with the result. Dried in a few hours and took the truoil well. My experience, one time only, but was well pleased with the result.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Thanks fellas. Good suggestions all.

Boolit Buddy

I used a heat lamp to drip the oil out. Just be careful and don't overheat the wood.

Boolit Buddy

Whiting is calcium carbonate (limestone). It is available at paint stores or garden centers. Mix up a paste of whiting and acetone to the consistency of pancake batter. Brush this on the stock and put it in the warm sun for an hour then brush it off. It will draw the oil out of the wood.
    "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." - Sam Ervin

Banned

I had access to MEK long ago and submerged a stock in it. Worked great and so does acetone. Cost is more.
    The whiting has worked too. Takes more applications.
    A heat gun like the model plane covering ones that do not get over 400° also boils out oils. Stay away from the 1500° ones. Boil oil to the surface and wipe with acetone.

Boolit Buddy

I had that problem years ago with a win. mod 97 shotgun. this method is cheap, safe and effective.
    Wrap the stock with a few layers of paper towels and tape tightly to stock. heat your oven to about 200 or less. throw the stock in the oven and leave it in till the paper towels are pretty soaked w/oil. Repeat until you are satisfied. If most of the oil is in the grip section, tilt the stock slightly so the oil doesnt go further down towards the butt.

Bigjake, how long do you bake the stocks until they are "done?"

All kidding aside, what do you check them every half hour or something? Realistically are we talking minutes, hours or... ? for baking time?

Banned

Takes little heat to have oils pop to the surface. You will never get all of it. Old military rifles were soaked deep with linseed oil and is not as bad as gun oil. Gun oil softens wood so it can get beat from recoil. Bedding does not stick good either.
    When is it done? Taste it I guess to see if it tastes like chicken!

Heh! I see what you did there. -I'll have to pass as I am trying to avoid eating fats and oils to keep my cholesterol down.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    That whiting is probably, don't know for sure, boric acid powder. It might do the same thing. Get it a drug store.
    'Whiting' is nothing more than chalk (Calcium Carbonate)...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmoneye View Post
    'Whiting' is nothing more than chalk (Calcium Carbonate)...
    My mistake. I have read where people suggested Boric powder so assumed(I know) that it might be the same.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    I made an oven out of a galvanized iron garbage can using lightbulbs of various wattage to obtain the heat that I needed. It worked great then and it works great now.