WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Martin Henry Pattern C

Martin Henry Pattern C

Okay guys! My wife has giving me the OK for a rifle purchase for Christmas. I'm really looking at purchasing a Martini Henry Pattern C 577/450 before they're all gone. I'm looking at the cleaned and complete ones at IMA USA. And I understand the challenge of loading for these rifles.
    I've been looking at them for years. My question to you guys is do you think there a good rifle. I've never shot one but I drool over the history of them. I guess what I'm trying to say is talk me out of it. Or talk me into it!
    Thanks D.B
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

Boolit Buddy
    These are very good shooters.If you go the hand select way ,ask for the long but stock,I have one with the short stock and it does seem to increase recoil compared to my Mk III and Alexander Henry using the same load.These day it is becoming much less expencive to load for these rifles with formed 24 ga brass being available from a member on the forum and the proper .468+ moulds being made by many makers

Buying a rifle is just the start of the fun. Next you're going to need casting gear, loading gear and a uniform for Sunday outings!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

^^^^ Mighty fine woman you got standing next to you Mr Wallace. And good looking uniform. I may go that route sometime. Not quite ready to go red coat yet. I hope you understand lol.
    And I have an update. I took the plunge this morning!!! Ordered a clean and complete Martini Henry mark IV pattern C with a bayonet sword. I used the handpicked option. It was a little rich for my blood but I think it's going to be worth it! After all there not making these suckers anymore and I know damn well they're going to skyrocket in price even more then thay already have once the surplus dries up. By the way they have a 10% off sale going on for Black Friday on anything over $100.
    The downside is it's probably going to be awhile before I get to shoot it .I'm going to have to sell my lee challenger press and get the Lee classic cast in order to reload for it. And of course gather up some brass dies and maybe a custom mold for it. However I may just paper patch a .458 boolit.
    And one more down side I've got another monster BP rifle to feed now.

And Herbert buckland thank you for reminding me about that I forgot that I saw somewhere on here of someone selling formed 577/450 brass. To me it does look fun to make. But I'm probably better off buying my first batch.
    I will post pictures as soon as I get it. Which is probably going to be Christmas with Black Friday and all. AND my wife made me ship it to my parents which is 200 miles away to ensure that I have to wait for Christmas.
    My dad a bit of a rifle enthusiast himself not much into the real old stuff but I can actually see him really eye balling the package when it arrives. No doubt his curiosity is going to get the better of him. And when I get there the questions start.
    WHAT is it? Where did you get it? Then it'll turn into. Its pretty! I WANT one! All while I'm trying to pry the unpackaged rifle from his hands.
    Last edited by Desertbuck; 11-27-2015 at 01:11 PM.
    THE GUN
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

I could not wait for Christmas so I opened the package early. Hehe
    The rifle is gorgeous the barrel is almost pristine on the inside. It shows its age on the outside I've got a few very minor stock repairs no serious rusting on the internal parts. However underneath the stock on the barrel there is some pitting. I would call it serious pitting I'm sure it's superficial but what's the worst it can get before I can't shoot it? I'll get some pictures up later. Other than that this rifle looks beautiful.
    THE GUN
    D.B

Boolit Master
    You were right to go for the individually selected rifle, and it is still as well to specify that bore condition is one of the things you want it selected for. They issue a standard warning that they don't intend them for shooting unless checked out by a gunsmith (an unnecessary warning for anybody knowledgeable and not blinded by optimism) and no doubt they sell some to collectors with different priorities.

I think your best bet for cases would be the Australian Bertram cases, which aren't cheap, but do last well with black powder. I have seen various people report that reformed 24ga Magtech shotshells don't stand up well to full black powder loads, even, though they might be fine for the .577 Snider. There is or recently was some original Eley Kynoch ammunition on the market which was very prone to misfires, probably from bad storage. That mightn't apply to other sources, if there is more than one, but I would want a really good guarantee of a refund if it does.

I think barrel pitting would have to be pretty deep to be worrying. Where it is, it is on the native-made Nepalese Gahendra, no mean feat for a tiny mountain kingdom, but this one has a spiral welded barrel, in which rust may be eating into an undetected seam. A British Martini-Henry barrel is solid metal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Desertbuck View Post
    I could not wait for Christmas so I opened the package early. Hehe
    The rifle is gorgeous the barrel is almost pristine on the inside. It shows its age on the outside I've got a few very minor stock repairs no serious rusting on the internal parts. However underneath the stock on the barrel there is some pitting. I would call it serious pitting I'm sure it's superficial but what's the worst it can get before I can't shoot it? I'll get some pictures up later. Other than that this rifle looks beautiful.
    I got mine back in 05 and this is what I got with BP at 100yd. The barrel under the fore stock was pitted pretty good but I doubt it is a problem.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 75 Sharps.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

This 10 shot benchrested group at 50yds shows that these old ladies can really shoot with black powder

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Wallace, you cut a dashing figure in that uniform. You look right out of the 1880s except for the wristwatch of course. Many years ago there was a company located in Pasadena, Ca. by the name of Golden State Arms. They would send reps to Europe after WWII during the 1950S and buy all their old guns uniforms and equipment from their warehouses. They had complete British uniforms like the ones worn in the movie Zulu, complete with white leather belts, holsters and white pith helmets . There were barrels of sabers from are Civil War and the price was seventeen dollars. A luger was $39.95 unless you wanted the artillery model. That would cost you $69.95. My wife was working Saturdays at the time and I used to spend the entire day there. The business was in an old mansion on Green street. As I recall it had three floors. Some members here who grew up in that area may remember the place. It was vey sad when they closed the place. The anti gunners even made a radio show about the auction. They would make profound statements like, they have just sold a machine gun. Never mind that it was deactivated. Very sick.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 12-22-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Wallace, you cut a dashing figure in that uniform. You look right out of the 1880s except for the wristwatch of course. Many years ago there was a company located in Pasadena, Ca. by the name of Golden State Arms. They would send reps to Europe after WWII during the 1950S and buy all their old guns uniforms and equipment from their warehouses. They had complete British uniforms like the ones worn in the movie Zulu, complete with white leather belts, holsters and white pith helmets . There were barrels of sabers from are Civil War and the price was seventeen dollars. A luger was $39.95 unless you wanted the artillery model. That would cost you $69.95. My wife was working Saturdays at the time and I used to spend the entire day there. The business was in an old mansion on Green street. As I recall it had three floors. Some members here who grew up in that area may remember the place. It was vey sad when they closed the place. The anti gunners even made a radio show about the auction. They would make profound statements like, they have just sold a machine gun. Never mind that it was deactivated. Very sick.
    I've got one of their Santa Fe jungle carbines. Actually a very good shooter with Boolits.

Golly BA I put up what I think is a pretty good group and you have to show me up.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Here it is all cleaned and ready to go. Woodrot for one of the screws holes for the reserver hook fixed. Plus a small buttstock crack fixed. She is ready to go just need brass to make some ammo.
    THE GUN
    D.B

There was a fellow around the Mid-Atlantic states making stainless steel chamber inserts for these some time ago that took a .45 Colt casing, I wish I had gotten his card. They shot fairly well at 50yds. out of mine.