Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOE brass vs. aluminum moulds

NOE brass vs. aluminum moulds

I have been casting for maybe 12+ years. Thus far, all my moulds are from RCBS, Lyman, and Lee. I've found that, with care, the Lee moulds can make a decent boolit, but their quality control is sometimes lacking.

I've read on other threads how folks love NOE moulds, but I've never owned or used one. NOE makes aluminum and brass. My Lee moulds are aluminum, so I'm familiar with some of the finer points of using aluminum moulds. I've never used a brass one, however.

I'd like to try one of NOE's four, five, or six boolit moulds for some of my pistol boolits, so I can cut down on my time in the garage and increase my time on the range (yes, my Star is inbound from a guy on this very forum!). Do you recommend aluminum or brass, and why? Are there any special considerations for brass?

Moderator Emeritus

"Some like blondes while others prefer brunettes", as the saying goes. I have and use moulds from fourteen different makers, in steel, iron, brass, and aluminum. That said, those produced by NOE are of the highest quality in my entire collection! Imho, brass has its challenges: when you get it, it IS imperative you run the mould through three or four heat/cool cycles before casting with it. Also, I know I'd rethink, say, a six cavity brass mould from any maker: brass IS heavy! And, I pass the flame of a BIC lighter on the cavities for the very first few casts. If you graduate to RG or HP moulds, they are a bit more of a challenge for me, as the pins really need to be kept hot. (ALL of my problems with them -- I just lied: maybe 98% -- disappeared when I bought a G.E. hot-plate to pre-heat and keep mould hot before/during casting sessions) Only other "consideration" is MINE, again, are the best in my stable; I doubt if they'll be a disappointment to you. And... brass doesn't rust.
    From this site I bought my first (an MP) brass mould, and it took but one casting session for me to be hooked on moulds made of brass. Needing a specific caliber a bit later, I checked out the NOE site and took a gamble on one of Al Nelson's (NOE) brass moulds. Wowsers! Shipping was unbelievably quick; packaging was delightful; and... it casts some of the best boolits I have ever made!
    I have aluminum moulds, too, and they're not too shabby either. I started this epistle with the blonde vs brunette quip; in my youth I cast a few zillion fish sinkers with Do-It and other aluminum moulds; boolits with an old iron mould -- from this history, I still prefer bullet moulds from the heavy metals.
    If you check out the NOE site, under "Forums", there is a bit of info on care and use of their moulds. The URL is http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,2.0.html. And, there's much information on this site, too. You may also wish to read an excellent treastice: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm.
    BEST!
    georgerkahn
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 11-09-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Banned

My favorites are aluminum from Accurate. I like the lighter weight, but would not hesitate to get another brass mold. Accurate makes the best molds but he will only do around .28" and up, no hollow-point molds, and no round points. He will make you a custom mold to your exact specifications in aluminum, brass, or iron. He has an extensive catalog and even those designs will be custom for you depending on your bullet diameter, alloy, block size etc. I asked him for a custom 200 grain mold for my .357 Blackhawk and he added it to his catalog in less than 24 hours and I had it in my hands a week later. No one can do that, except Tom/Accurate. Highest quality and best customer service. One last example, most of my molds use the widest possible meplat within reason, and I have tired of waiting for a group-buy, so I just had Tom make it. The group buy finally came through after a few months, and I got the mold anyway, and comparing the two, Accurate is the higher quality mold. Again, highest quality and best customer service.
    Last edited by jmort; 11-09-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of threads about aluminium verus brass molds. The long and short of it is that brass is heavy. I know four cavity brass molds will be an issue when I get older. Both cast great bullets. Search out the older threads that go into detail about the differences.

Boolit Master
    I have not noticed a difference between the bullets from a NOE aluminum mold and a brass one. Except one is like trying to hold onto a brick for a while. Didn't intend on a brass mold, but NOE site said they had a 4 bullet aluminum mold, generally go with 2 at a time, but out of stock. The computer was wrong, so he called me and asked if a brass would be ok vs the aluminum, no extra charge. Sure, well that 4 bullet brass mold is heavy, you can only cast for so long with it. I get to about 100 and Im done for a while.

Seems longevity is the difference with brass and aluminum, brass will last longer. Just cant see me wearing out the overly built NOE aluminum mold, but could see it being an issue with a Lee. Would imagine the alloy used would be a big factor, for the price imagine NOE uses a higher quality alloy than Lee.

Even a 2-cavity brass mold is heavy. Nothing like the slender old Ideal/Lyman iron molds.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    he added it to his catalog in less than 24 hours and I had it in my hands a week later. No one can do that, except Tom/Accurate.
    Yes that is absolutely fantastic.
    I'm inclined to try his iron molds...

Boolit Buddy
    The nice thing about the Accurate or NOE aluminum molds is that they have a lot more aluminum in them than the Lee molds--and they seem to hold heat better because of it.

Here's an Accurate mold versus a Lee mold; guess which is which?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leeaccuratemolds2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	153627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leeaccuratemolds1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	153628
    Cogito ergo sum ego iacio (Google Translate)
    ------------------------
    Reloading and casting are like approaching a black hole; once you pass the event horizon there is no turning back.

Boolit Grand Master

It's more the aluminium used than anything. Of course the weight helps. But the higher quality aluminium is what makes the difference. I really don't like the sprue plates that Accurate uses as I don't use the cam lever.

Banned

Lately, I am specifying the largest aluminum blanks offered for my Accurate molds in the caliber and number of cavities I pick.

I have both. Brass is heavy. My brass mold is cantankerous. Aluminum is lighter and drops bullets like it's raining. From now on its aluminum for me unless I find out they dissolve after 40 uses or something.

Even iron is lighter than brass. Brass molds do work great, but they like to be kept hot. Aluminum of high quality is what is ideal. Light, throws great bullets and will last a long time with proper care.

Boolit Master
    I have aluminum, brass and iron moulds and like all three but really like aluminum when it comes to a 4 or 5 cavity mould. Lately I've been ordering 3 cavity brass moulds cut on 2 cavity blocks for .22-.30 caliber bullets. It is easier to get the mould up to temperature and keep it there, especially with .22 and .25 caliber bullets. TJ

Moderator Emeritus
    Comparing an NOE aluminium mould to a Lee aluminium mould is comparing the sublime to the ridiculous.

I mainly use NOE aluminium moulds purely because of the weight factor.

Well made moulds in steel, aluminium, brass or what ever will all cast equally good bullets.

Each mould material has it own casting foibles and like all endeavours they have to be known and understood, that is usually where mould preferences come in as different people appreciate the different qualities of moulds made from different materials.

For me weight is a big issue so I go for aluminium, but I have moulds made by different manufacturers from different materials and all cast fine bullets when I do my part. I try and avoid lee moulds as I don't like the uncertainty of what dimensions it will cast to, whether it will work at all and if the first two are near enough then I still don't want the fettling required to get them to work. Lee are truly cheap moulds, which is why I buy more expensive moulds that actually work as advertised.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    1. Cast Iron
    2. Brass
    3. Aluminum
    4. Lee

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    1. Cast Iron
    2. Brass
    3. Aluminum
    4. Lee
    I am with you except for No 4, I have cast with some Lee moulds but I have never bought one
    Cast Iron/ steel is by far the best even the old Lymans that drop out of round under sized boolits
    are still nicer to use than Lee,
    I have some NOE Aluminium moulds that have cast many thousands of boolits and are getting pretty beat up
    but still turn out great boolits when they finally give up I will replace them with Accurate Iron moulds,
    My second favourite is brass MP moulds I have four and am waiting for another one, all are either hollow point or hollow base
    boolits and I have two NOE brass moulds brilliant pieces of work,
    Accurate moulds I have one Aluminium which is the best alloy mould I own one Iron and three brass,
    I have a number of Lyman RCBS and SAECO Iron/Steel moulds all cast good boolits some of them are over 50 years old
    I sell my boolits to pad out my pension so I am casting two or three times a week can get through about 100# of lead a month
    so the moulds get a good work out,
    Do your self a favour buy the best mould you can you won't regret it, a two cavity Iron Accurate mould will out last your grand children
    and will only cost the price of a couple of hundred J-words

I've also got LEE aluminum and Lyman/RCBS Iron molds and just got a MP Brass 4 cavity H&G 68 clone and I really like it. He was offering them in brass and aluminum but after using the LEE, I wanted Brass, but after seeing the pics from Mongoose33 I could have gone Aluminum. Anyway, it is Heavy but for the way I cast it's fine. I'll cast until I get tired/bored then quit for awhile. I expect that it and the iron molds will be used long after I'm gone.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    1. Cast Iron
    2. Brass
    3. Aluminum
    4. Lee
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus
    If your moulds are getting beat up then you must be beating them.

I have aluminium moulds that have cast 10s of thousands of bullets and they are just fine.

Like I said every material has its own way, understand that and and a well made mould of any of the materials quoted will work just fine and last just as long.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm the odd man out but I find brass to be the most finicky mold material in terms of having it not too hot or not too cold. Other than require a wee bit of extra care so as not to abuse them, I've found aluminum molds to make excellent bullets and to be non tempermental in terms of temperature.

My list:

1) Cast Iron
    2) Aluminum
    3) Brass

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tailhunter View Post
    I have both. Brass is heavy. My brass mold is cantankerous. Aluminum is lighter and drops bullets like it's raining. From now on its aluminum for me unless I find out they dissolve after 40 uses or something.
    +1 for me.

Larry Gibson