MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Portable Swaging Stand Design

Boolit Buddy

Portable Swaging Stand Design

I am thinking about creating a potable stand to mount my Walnut Hill press to. I know keeping it bolted to my beefy bolted down bench is ideal, but I have a three month old son, my bench is downstairs and lately it seems impossible just to get down stairs let alone anything half way productive. So I am thinking that a portable stand mounted on a dolly could be a good compromise. Wheel it out when the little man is pretending to sleep, and wheel it into the spare bedroom when I don't want it in the living room...read as the wife says put it away, lol.

I have access to steel plate and pipe at work as well as a soon to be brother in law that is a certified welder. What dimensions and how much counter weight would be a good starting point? I am picturing a piece of 6-8" steel pipe (height tbd) with 1/2" plate for a top and bottom (18"? bottom and 12"?).
    Will this be heavy enough or will it tip? I could also wing out the bottom so I could toss a .50 cal ammo can or two full of lead as a counter weight. Finally permanently mount it to the dolly or just use the dolly to move it?

Pictures are always a plus.

I will mainly be using it for:
    - drawing 9mm brass into 9mm jackets
    - pinch trimming 9mm brass cases
    - swaging 9mm bullets
    - eventually swaging large .30 caliber bullets (190+ grains)
    - maybe some occasional reloading

Boolit Buddy

I use one of the Harbor Freight grinder portable stand. Semi pyramidal with room for the RCBS press on it. Bolted a 3/4" piece of plywood to the top and put the press on that. Works great and got a little clutter of my rifle table.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Buddy
    I would be inclined to keep anything lead far away from a young child.
    The younger the child the greater the impact a tiny amount of lead exposure can have.

Don't worry, you will have plenty of time to do all of your things later.
    It seems like kids go from 3yrs old to 18 in about two weeks.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's how I mounted my WH press as well as my old CSP-1: Bought a junk drill press on Craig's List for next to nothing, threw the head away, and bolted the press to the table. The table has a rack and pinion to raise and lower so works good standing or sitting. If sitting, I use the base as a foot rest. No wheels to move about, but light enough to pick up and carry if I needed to... No issues with tipping either.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.corbins.com/pr-csp-s.htm

i was thinking of building one of these
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
    http://www.corbins.com/pr-csp-s.htm

i was thinking of building one of these

I have one of the Corbin floor stands, the only problem I see with it is the lead extrusions from core swaging tend to end up all over the floor. I cut a piece of sheet aluminum and taped it to the back of the press to guide the extrusions into a waste receptacle to be recycled.

4" pipe cut on a 15* angle at the top, 3/4" plate drilled and tapped for the press welded on the angle. 2 pieces of C channel bolted on the bottom with a sheet of plywood between them. I added a scrap of carpeting to the plywood to make it easier on my feet.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    Here's how I mounted my WH press as well as my old CSP-1: Bought a junk drill press on Craig's List for next to nothing, threw the head away, and bolted the press to the table. The table has a rack and pinion to raise and lower so works good standing or sitting. If sitting, I use the base as a foot rest. No wheels to move about, but light enough to pick up and carry if I needed to... No issues with tipping either.
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I may have to take a look at craislist for a heavy duty drill press.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    I use one of the Harbor Freight grinder portable stand. Semi pyramidal with room for the RCBS press on it. Bolted a 3/4" piece of plywood to the top and put the press on that. Works great and got a little clutter of my rifle table.

Bill
    This one. I have one that I used to use that now just sits that I have a house with the room. But it sure did work when I needed it.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

Is the grinding stand in the link below what you guys use? From here it look flimsy and like it would tip over with a Walnut Hill Press on top of it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=grinder+stand

Boolit Buddy

Yes, I've got my Rock Chucker Supreme on it for all my 22lr to .224 swaging. Never tries to tip at all.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    Yes, I've got my Rock Chucker Supreme on it for all my 22lr to .224 swaging. Never tries to tip at all.

Bill
    Thanks Bill,

I may have to grab on tonight. Did you have to weigh it down at all?

Boolit Master
    Like Bill, I have used mine with Blackmon press and rock chucker. Not sure though if it will do as well with the height of the walnut hill press.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

Sorry to redirect this thread but I realized I never posted a picture of the little press stand my soon to be brother in law and I out together. And up a little bigger than planned, guys at work are probably still laughing at the ibeam they gave me for the project. Oh well... I guess it doesn't move much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0208161754.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	161408

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    Oh well... I guess it doesn't move much.
    It darned sure won't deflect, should provide very consistent press handle operation. NICE!
    Last edited by PbHurler; 02-20-2016 at 05:01 AM.
    Bob