Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 348 Winchester Model 71

Boolit Bub
    I did load up some .348s at 10.0 trail boss, and they are a joy to shoot, I will be able to enjoy this rifle as a fun plinker, not just a bone crusher, I seated to 2.720 so as to not engage the rifling, I looks like the gas checks are at the base of the neck, I am also trying the load, 13.0 Red Dot.
    I appreciate everyones input, is there a problem if the GC is below the neck? I am new to GC bullets.
    Marshhawk

Boolit Master
    Philips Wholesale in Covina generally has Trail Boss. Philips Wholesale.com for a list of powders he has on hand. Open Thur, Fri, Sat. He got me some 250 gr original Barnes bullets. Winchester still makes 200 gr ammo. Understand why you aren't going hunting with it locally but one should always have some heavy hunting loads on hand . Just in case you get a chance to go some place that has BIG game and sensible rules.

Boolit Master
    Always good to have older casting and reloading books around.

Just ran across your thread and cracked open my copy of "Ken Waters' Pet Loads". There are a dozen different loads for cast in 348 and twice that for J-words. My third edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook also has a half dozen or so loads.

When you shoot hunting loads in the 348, although not as punishing as potent loads of 45-70 in a model '86 SRC, you do know that you've been behind a rifle that can bring down anything that roams the North American Continent.

Have fun with your model 71.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Bub
    Well I got some Trail Boss, so I loaded 20 rds @ 10.0 Gr. and another 30 of 13 Gr. Red Dot, I test fired 2 of each and they are both mild, I'm off to the range Friday to see how they group! Marshhawk

Boolit Master

348 win

I was given 2 and 1/2 boxes of buffalo bore 250 gr ammo. don't want to shoot it until I really need the brass. my shoulder twitches when I look at the ammo it the cabinet. the fellow that gave me the ammo was sending his model 71 to doug turnbull to have it converted to something bigger ( don't remember what ) but he wanted to kill a bison with it.

porthos

Boolit Bub
    Hi Everyone, Well I ran 50 rds. through my 348 with reduced loads last Friday, 20 rds.- 10 gr. of Trail Boss and 30 rds. of the Ed Harris Load 13.0 Red Dot, both with the 200 gr. RCBS GC Bullet, the Red Dot loads are a little stouter, on the ballistic computer it shows 1500- 1600 FPS, they are very easy to shoot, I think a 8 yr. old girl could handle it no problem, I am going back to the Trail Boss and using there reduced formula, fill to bullet base/no compression for Max and reduce to 70% of that figure for starting, I'm having fun with this, I did shoot a couple of factory 200 gr. Winchesters for comparison. Regards Marshhawk, PS It grouped about 1 1/2" @ 50yds, mostly because of my old eyes and iron sights!

Vendor Sponsor
    I have a .375 round ball mould. I run these first through a .358 size die, then a .349 size die. I seat them over 5 gr of bullseye for a gallery load that is surprizingly accurate and a hoot to shoot. I dropped a jack rabbit in the garden at 30 yards with one.

Boolit Master
    marshhawk

Wow your Fathers Win 71, that's a great rifle & under appreciated ctg. I had one once & traded it off drat, whatever you do keep your Fathers nice 71. That cartridge shines with a 250gr bullet, but probably none are available now unless you cast your own.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

I've always felt the 71 was one of best looking lever guns out there.

I saw where someone has brought it out in 45/70 now, but didn't pay attention to what company.
    Think i'll be looking that article up again after reading through this thread.

Boolit Master

That would be the Pedersoli Model 86/71.

Boolit Buddy
    Hope you get a lot of years of good shooting out of your Dad's 71. When Winchester designed the pistol grip butt stock they got it right. When you mount one to your shoulder they feel good
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 11-02-2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

I believe Barnes makes a 220 and 250 grain for the .348. Hornandy 200 are enough on the shoulder. You can keep your eyes open on ebay or here for a .348 mold, but when they do come up, they do get attention, so you may have to bite the bullet and buy the RCBS and go have fun. I do have a lyman mold that comes close to 200 grains with my WW alloy and a gas check. And reduced is so much nicer for range time. Lyman manuals offer data for the .348, at least the older manuals do.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Guys, For all the kind words about my fathers rifle, I bought a used RCBS 200 Gr. mold from Rick B in Juneau AK, he's a great guy to work with, I have been casting and shooting those boolits and there working great, I have run them GC with the 13.0 Red Dot load and plain base with 10.5 Trail Boss, been running 50 rd. range sessions no problem, I'm having a lot of fun with the Model 71! No Pain, it's a Hoot!
    Marshhawk
    Last edited by marshhawk; 11-04-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Marshhawk
    It's great to hear you are having a good time with your Fathers 71.
    They are very good rifles, enjoy!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marshhawk View Post
    Thanks Guys, For all the kind words about my fathers rifle, I bought a used RCBS 200 Gr. mold from Rick B in Juneau AK, he's a great guy to work with, I have been casting and shooting those boolits and there working great, I have run them GC with the 13.0 Red Dot load and plain base with 10.5 Trail Boss, been running 50 rd. range sessions no problem, I'm having a lot of fun with the Model 71! No Pain, it's a Hoot!
    Marshhawk
    Do you need any filler with these loads?

Boolit Buddy

stuff done with 348

Took 3 black bears, full penetration shoulder shots at 30yds, 70yds and 120yds , 250to 275 lb size with Hornady 200gr H4831sc 66gr, load is safe in my rifle, cannot guarantee safe in yours!
    Still trying to get a cast load that works, I don't mind full loads for 200gr projectiles, factory 250 hurt at both ends

Atip for the old coots amongst us, I got a Turnbull Burris fast fire mount (no alteration of rifle required) and put it on my Browning 71 carbine and with above load I get consistent 1.5" or less groups at 100yds, and I don't even like dot sights. It explains my iron sight grouping issues , I would frequently get 2 hole real close ( I call them snake eyes) then the next shot would be 2" out. Think it was my old eyes , not the rifle or the loads.
    Guess you can tell, I'm nutso about the 71/ 348Win, the best 200yds or less hunting rifle in North America.When you are packing one of these you can walk through the bush and fear no evil. A real comfort in the night when sleeping out, in bear country.

Boolit Bub
    Hi Big Bear, No the 13.0 Red Dot load does not require a filler, I did load some light Trail Boss Loads where filler was required, but after a couple of range trips I have settled on the Red Dot load for my plinking load! I removed the Buckhorn sight and I am currently using a Marble Peep sight on my Mod 71!
    Marshhawk

Boolit Master
    Great that would be a fantastic rifle enjoy!