RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any reason not to buy a 20 guage?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm new to the 20 ga but mine is pretty handy even if ammo selection may seem limited. My dad grew up on a Nebraska farm hunting pheasant, among other things. When I bought a 12 ga to hunt Texas dove and quail he thought that was silly, and he may have been right. My hunting gun is a 20 ga, I think it will serve me just fine.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    The only downside to a 20 Ga. as opposed to a 12 Ga. is that the pattern diameter will be smaller with the 20 and with equal weight shot charges the shot string will be longer with the 20. With tungsten/iron shot the 20 Ga. is lethal on ducks. TJ

Boolit Master
    Select the ammo you need for the task at hand and it will do fine. Your ammo selection may be slightly more limited in your local shops if you have the same luck as I do, but that can be overcome with either handloading or planning ahead and making sure you have enough of the ammo you need. For example, within about 50 miles of me, there are two gun shops that realize that there is anything except birdshot and slugs available for a 20ga if their inventory is any indication. If I go to the two that have more selection, or plan ahead and just order what I need, my 20ga does just about anything that my 12ga does. The only advantage the 12ga has is a larger bore and heavier payload, which doesn't make a difference for 95%+ of my use, but pays off for geese and turkeys.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Bub
    1. take the wife and kids along, let them try the potential purchases

2. make sure that the shotgun "fits"

3. 12 vs 20, your choice, it doesn't matter for what you specified.

4. A rem 870 is never a bad choice

I shot skeet and game with a rem 870 express for many years until the b... took it off me

Best regards, Mark.

Boolit Buddy
    I love my 20s. The only reason I even have any 12s is because I've had them a long time and don't want to get rid of them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I started with a .410 shotgun, had major issues killing anything tougher than a pidgon.
    Back in my youth when I duck hunted, I killed a lot more ducks with a .410 than I ever did with a 16 or 12 gauge. Don't know exactly why... Maybe because it was a single shot and I was more careful with my shots. Maybe because it had a notch and blade type sight instead of a two bead type sight. I never really like those bead type sites.

Boolit Master

Both of my sons were started on 20's @ age10 and they were 3 years apart - that includes deer hunting. They got a rifle @ age 13. To set an example I hunted deer with a 20 ga as long as they did, so for 6 years at least 2 of us were hunting with a 20 ga, 2 3/4" #3 buckshot. We killed over 20 deer in those 6 years and never lost one. Of course limited effective range is about 25 yds. Grandson, age 12 now has taken 4 deer with 4 shots including this one, his first...turkeys too!

Attachment 153140Attachment 153141
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I think one reason 20s are not so popular is the lack of 'tactical' ammo. 12ga buckshot is everywhere, 20ga, not so much. Yes I do know its out there, but you go to the local gunshop and their likely to not have any, or just a box or 2, and its generally not cheap. The ammo selection for a 12ga is anything you want, 20 ga is usually about a 1/3. Wal mart will only have bird shot, or some turkey stuff if the right time of year.

I went and got a 20ga as I know not many women are fond of a 12ga. But without 'tactical' ammo, its use for home defense is a bit limited. Place near me sells boxes of 1 buck in 20ga, 25 count. Not a terrible price at $15. But I went and bought a couple molds and just make it. Won't bother with making target or skeet shells. I was making 4 buck for a while, or buck and ball w a 54 cal RB and some 4 buck. And lee has their .575 minie ball mold, tho not very good as is, to much weight, I made a new base piece that shifts the weight forward, brings the weight down to an ounce. 4 buck takes a while to make alot of it, so bought a 1 buck mold from sharpshooter molds.

But a 20 does need to be a full sized gun. I have a 20ga barrel with a Rossi single shot, its worse than a 12ga due to the weight.

Boolit Master

im no fan of the 20, but if you want one thats the only reason you need. however, if your wife is going to use it occasionally, make dang sure the gun fits her so that it doesnt beat her.

Dangers of owning 20 ga and 12 ga
    - if you accidently put a 20 ga in your 12 it will slide down into the barrel far enough that you can chamber a 12 shell behind the barrel obstruction. KaBOOM - bad day.

It will kick like a mule with 3" slugs.

Advantage the guns when build on a 20 ga frame are light and handy.

I have a 20 ga on a 12 ga frame an it's heavier than when the 12 ga barrel is on it.

Ammo is smaller and lighter so you can carry more in the same space/weight.

When shot the shot column is longer than a 12 ga of the same weight load in flight.

Components can be more expensive for 20 than 12 when reloading.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    I have 12s 16s 20s and 410s now that I am older and wiser I carry the 20 my rotator cuff has been put back together twice and that moss 20 gauge pump does everything I need it to from hogs to deer and alligators too.

My 20's kicks as hard as the 12 cost more to shoot if your not loading for it too. Probably would have sold the 20's if they hadn't been my fathers. They do kill just as well as a 12. Shot turkey, deer, pheasant, quail, & Prarie chickens with both, they all died.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My Dad started us out with a .410 - that was 50 some years ago. It did pretty well on tree rats, cottontails and pheasants. Then he stepped us up to a 20 gauge - a Stevens pump. That pump took a lot of game including ducks. From there, I moved on to an old N.R.Davis double 16 gauge. I haven't shot a shotgun in years - don't even own one other than my 20 gauge flintlock Fusil de Chasse. If I was to get another one, I'd probably opt for a 20 gauge as well.

Not to steal the thread . . . but my neighbor has a 28 gauge over/under that looks like a pretty nice shotgun. Are the 28 gauges becoming more popular?

To be honest, since I don't own a shotgun anymore, I don't pay attention to what the availability of shells is but it seem like when ammo was short, there was always shotgun shells on the shelf? Some gauges more scarce as far as shell than others?

20 gauge is great to carry and shoot, very light and quick to the shoulder compared to a 12. Only thing I dont like about it is lack of ammo selection. No buckshot, not heavier shot normally. Just birds, and slugs.

Boolit Grand Master

Short of geese, I use my 20 for everything. I have an 11-87 and it is very soft shooting. Looking for a Citori in 20 gauge to go along with my 12 gauge.

Mossberg Maveric, 12 & 20 but I prefer the 20 as it is lighter. 1/2 the $ of the 870, eats anything, estate or rio - cheap stuff. Takes '500' barrels, comes with modified choke. Got an 1187 & A400 but the 20 maveric seems to find it's way to clays practice most times.
    Whatever!

The 20 will do all you need for it to do. Look at the Mossberg 500 pump.

The only reason. Not to buy a 20 gauge us if you don't have the money

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    Only if you are a duck and goose hunter. I used a 20ga. for everything until the steel shot for waterfowl laws. I switched to a 12ga. for steel shot.
    I hated the steel shot requirement as well but the the 20 ga with #2 steels has worked fine even for the big bull sprigs out to 50 yards. What I have really come to enjoy in recent years is the 20 ga with #4 buckshot on coyotes out to 60 yards in out local tree farms. The lighter 20 ga. makes it nice for those quick shots at disappearing coyotes.

Boolit Master

20ga. is a good buy. I got my wife a Remington 870 Express 3in. 20ga. years ago used for a good deal and she has never even shot it, I have though and I plan to get my kids on it real soon instead of their single shot H&R .410. More payload and longer range.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.