Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cast some zinc boolits today

Boolit Man

This is fascinating to me. I love to tinker, and I love to improvise and I love to keep my options open. This presents another option I had wondered about but didn't really know enough, so I thought .

I do have one question though, WRT recovering range scrap that may contain zinc bullets if this becomes more common...

Maybe some people are doing this already and we need to be aware that we may begin to encounter zinc in range scrap?

How would one separate the zinc from the lead? Just keep the pot temperature low enough that any zincs would float and could then be removed and thrown into a separate bucket for melting zinc at a later time?

Quote Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
    Did anyone answer this?

I've got a few pounds of big truck wheel weights in Zinc. I also have a spare Lee 4# pot.... Might be worthwhile to try this for plinkers.
    Well I ventured off on my own and did it anyway, I can tell you NOT to mix zinc with a wooden stick! It foams up real nice and won't mix into the melt anymore. I have no clue if it was the antimony, copper, or tin that caused it to foam but it sure did.
    Once I skimmed off the foam all was well again.

About the smaller lee pot.....I couldn't get that suckered to heat up enough to melt the zinc. I had to use my 20 lb pot.
    1,000,000 peso man

I wouldn't worry about it too much, only a small percentage of people cast bullets and a even smaller percentage would cast zinc.

When you aren't sure of zinc it's always best to melt at a lower temperature.
    1,000,000 peso man

I'm going to have to break this up into multiple posts because I can only post ten pictures at a time.

Today I tried zinc for the 9mm. Same mold the only thing that changed was the pot and alloy.

The smaller lee pot just didn't have enough heat output to keep the zinc molten and flowing. I had to do what I really didn't want to do..... I emptied my lee 20 lb pot and filled it with 5lbs of zinc ww and then added 1lb of pewter. The pewter was added in hopes of lowering melting temperature and decrease viscosity if the molten metal. I can't say for certain which of the two made more of a difference but I'm going to guess it was the heat.

Once the metal was in the slush stage I made a time consuming mistake! I used a wooden dowel to stir the melt.....boy was that a mistake. When the dowel was in the molten zinc it bubbled and foamed, making the zinc two layers. One layer was molten metal on the bottom and the other was a oatmeal like foam on the top. I could not for the life of me figure how to reduce this mess back into the melt. So, I don't know 100% if it was the bubbling or the impurities in the tin (pewter) that caused me issues all I know it it made some form of alloy with everything in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151109_014940.jpg   20151109_015022.jpg   20151109_015209.jpg   20151109_015225.jpg   20151109_015256.jpg  

20151109_131541.jpg   20151109_141035.jpg   20151109_141113.jpg   20151109_141129.jpg   20151109_141133.jpg  

1,000,000 peso man

Pictures kind of jumped the gun but I'll explain.

I heated the now mystery alloy of zinc and pewter until it flowed from the bottom pour nozzel and cast a few hundred water quenched bullets. (Makes it easier for me to handle them as soon as I'm done casting) No wrinkles no undersized bullets like last time and nice sharp edges! Very nice!
    Last time the bullets were nice and shiney, this time they are frosted like lead bullets, no problem.

Once I was done I dumped the water from the quench bucket and dried them off on a old towel, right after the towel they went into the sizer. I use a lee push through sizer with no problems, it was easier than I thought it would be to size .358 zinc bullets down to .356 no problem at all actually.

Once they were sized I let them completely dry off and loaded them just like I would with fmj ammo. All loading went off without a hitch.

When I was firing them I did have a problem, a minimum charge of Titegroup wouldn't cycle in my ruger sr9c with a 2.5" Barrel......hmm well that's a bummer! With no signs of pressure I continued forward and upped the charge .2gr at a time until I reached a point where it would cycle most of the time. The pictures above show the primers of the maximum charge I used. I'm unsure if I should keep going or if I should worry about pressure.
    The primer wipe isn't a big deal to me because this gun always did that with factory ammo before I would load my own. It's caused by the firing pin not retracting until the slide reaches all the way back and then once it moves forward it retracts.

If I could find somebody willing to test my ammo for pressure in the appropriate instruments, I'd be more than happy to load a few more.
    I need to be certain this is safe before I continue forward.
    1,000,000 peso man

Boolit Master

Wow Magana that is very interesting.

If you're concerned about pressure use ol' what's his names (I can't think of his name!) measurement method.

With a micrometer measure the case head of an un-fired factory round. Then measure it after firing. Then in your loading never exceed the amount the two differ. I'll do this with five or six cases and then reload them until I get the load I want/reach my pressure limit.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Dumb question time about this. Isn't Zinc much harder than lead and jacketed bullets. Would this not lead to premature barrel wear or failure.
    Outside of this question, this is a real good thread.

Moderator Emeritus

Most cast zinc items (including zinc WW's) made in USA are made with a zinc alloy called Zamak 3 and is about 82 BHN.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Great info, i may have to go back to the junk yard and see if i can get the two 5 gallon buckets of zinc WW back.

Ok, so you got oatmeal when you used wood to stir....

What results did you get with some other stirring device?

Do you feel you'd have got oatmeal without the wood stirrer?
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post

If you're concerned about pressure use ol' what's his names (I can't think of his name!) measurement method.

With a micrometer measure the case head of an un-fired factory round. Then measure it after firing. Then in your loading never exceed the amount the two differ. I'll do this with five or six cases and then reload them until I get the load I want/reach my pressure limit.

Cat
    Thank you, I'll have to look this method up and attempt to replicate it.
    My main concern is blowing this gun to pieces and injuring myself or my wife. Would definitely like to invest the resources to get a proper pressure graph. Peaks and curves tell more of a story than other methods. Maybe I can use a slower powder as Titegroup is a fast burning powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    Dumb question time about this. Isn't Zinc much harder than lead and jacketed bullets. Would this not lead to premature barrel wear or failure.
    Outside of this question, this is a real good thread.
    Not a dumb question at all! It's also a concern of mine but I don't have an issue with it just yet as I'm just getting started. A new barrel is very little cost to explore something new to me. I also believe the zinc self lubricates so it's probably not all that bad. Some people shoot steel jacketed pistol ammo, I wouldn't think this would be any worst.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Most cast zinc items (including zinc WW's) made in USA are made with a zinc alloy called Zamak 3 and is about 82 BHN.
    I had a member test a rather large batch of zinc ww I melted and the results were roughly 97% zinc and 3% lead. The lead I assume came from lost lead wheel weights in the mix.

Also being that barrel steel is roughly 250-300bhn I don't believe it would be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DW475 View Post
    Great info, i may have to go back to the junk yard and see if i can get the two 5 gallon buckets of zinc WW back.
    I wouldn't rush to buy them back, I'm doing this out of necessity and incase we see lead prices skyrocket or lead being scarce.
    It takes significantly more time and effort to cast zinc but it's 100% possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
    Ok, so you got oatmeal when you used wood to stir....

What results did you get with some other stirring device?

Do you feel you'd have got oatmeal without the wood stirrer?
    I believe it to aid in the foaming and possibly made it worst but I do not believe it to be the sol cause.
    Something didn't agree with the alloy and caused the foam. Might be dross or it might be oxides like we get with lead. In order to reduce this back in I'm guessing I might have to use a salt. I do not want to use any kind of salt in my casting pot. Worst comes to worst I'll just save it and reduce it on its own in a larger smelting pot.
    1,000,000 peso man

Quote Originally Posted by Magana559 View Post
    Thank you, I'll have to look this method up and attempt to replicate it.
    My main concern is blowing this gun to pieces and injuring myself or my wife. Would definitely like to invest the resources to get a proper pressure graph. Peaks and curves tell more of a story than other methods. Maybe I can use a slower powder as Titegroup is a fast burning powder.
    Not to sound like a smart *** this might be the time to invest in a nice Ruger .357 Convertible with the 9mm cylinder.

Also, If you have some Unique try using it. It has lower chamber pressures then Titegroup.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-10-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Echale3 View Post
    I remember years back, and I'm talking 20+ years ago while I was shooting IHMSA Big Bore exclusively with cast bullets, that there was a series of bullet molds made with a tail on the end and you would buy zinc "washers" that would press-fit on that tail. As I recall, the idea was to get higher velocities without any leading or lube needed, since the zinc acted as the lube.

I never tried it nor ever knew anybody that did, but it seemed like an interesting idea. I'm thinking that your experiment may prove that there was merit to the idea.
    Harvey ProtexBore Boolits

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/...hp?item_id=424

http://www.hawkbullets.com/swage-it.htm

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Prot-X-Bore.htm
    Last edited by dudel; 11-10-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    I have a cousin that works for the CIA. He told me several years ago that the CIA and FBI used Zink bullets for training. The reason was the female agents. Could cause birth defects from lead .
    I doubt women had anything to do with it. Frangible zinc bullets are sometimes used for range safety considerations.

Boolit Master
    If the bullets are the proper size should not make much difference. Zinc is softer than copper. Army proving grounds has traditionally used zinc slugs in testing large bore guns (artillery). Soft iron has been used in small arms. Much of this has been experimented with long ago.

www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/071619.pdf

I also believe the zinc self lubricates [/QUOTE]

did you lube the zinc boolits?

Quote Originally Posted by solderboy View Post
    I also believe the zinc self lubricates
    did you lube the zinc boolits?[/QUOTE]

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Prot-X-Bore.htm

Zinc and certain zinc alloys will produce a virtually self-lubricating bullet. Such bullets are capable of top hand gun velocities and are accurate and deep penetrating at close range. Unfortunately, zinc does not possess sufficient density to sustain velocities and it will not mushroom against flesh and bone.

If we could combine lead and zinc in an alloy and retain the desirable features of each, we might produce a superior bullet. Alas, these two metals are incompatible and will not alloy. Matter of fact, this antithesis is so marked that even lead base paint is prohibited in a Klaksite manufacturing plant. Jim Harvey, inventor of the Prot-X-Bore Bullet, decided that this very characteristic of lead and zinc might be put to advantage if the two metals could be put together "cold" and hence, his now famous zinc base bullet. In the way, each bullet leaves a minute layer of zinc in the barrel upon which the next bullet "rides." And so we have a super accurate pure lead bullet that can be shot at better than magnum hand gun velocities without leading the barrel, and with a gas check that cannot fall off.

Boolit Buddy
    In another thread, member Greenwart posted a link to EH Harrison's book on cast bullets. There is a section in there on zinc bullets. Here is the link to the pdf.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Cla...tBullets-s.pdf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post

Cat
    That method has been tested against strain gauge chamber pressure readings and it has been proven that measuring case heads with a micrometer is not an accurate or repeatable method of measuring pressures. Also typical handgun pressures will show no case head expansion so you can be running 20kpsi or 40 kpsi and you have no way of knowing where you are at.

Boolit Master

That's the first of heard of that Paulh. Can you direct me to more data please? Thanks.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)