Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Preferred crimp location for Lyman 257420 bullet (.25 cal. )

Boolit Mold

Preferred crimp location for Lyman 257420 bullet (.25 cal. )

The Lyman 257420 does not have a crimping groove. What would be the preferred crimp location ? To be used in a Marlin 1894CL,25-20.
    Last edited by Fauquier; 11-06-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

The 257420 is, at least to me, a real finger pincher as I load for my 870,xxx Winchester .25-20 Model 1892 takedown! My brass seems quite thin and brittle near/at mouth, and I've annealed it, which helps. Mine weigh in at about 62 to 63 grains, and I use Lyman Orange Magic lub, sizing in a Lyman 450. I use the .25ACP Lyman "M" die to afford a quite snug bullet seat without further splitting/squnching , and just at edge of upper grease groove is where I "crimp". I use the Lee Factory Crimp die, which works marvelously for me. (http://leeprecision.com/factory-crimp-die-25-20.html) I try and uniform my maximum over all cartridge length to 1.589" -- which --due to squnching I mentioned can be a challenge and is why I purchased ( ) the Lyman M die. Using the Lee Factory Crimp -- this die kind of determines "where it is"; all I can say is, albeit I load/shoot light squib loads due to frailty of both MY brass and firearm -- this works dandily for ME. Mine surely is a fun firearm to shoot!
    Hope I sort of answered your query. (I also have a Redding crimp die I haven't taken out of its box since I purchased the Lee factory crimp die).
    BEST!
    georgerkahn

Banned

I flair my case mouths with a 30 carbine die I just bump the mouth against it to open it enough to seat the boolit.

in your situation I would make a dummy round [not crimp to start with] and do the plunk test in the chamber.
    then make sure the round will feed through the rifle.
    then find the nearest place to crimp and use that at the shorter oal.

you may find you don't need to crimp as the little round has a lot of neck tension and super light recoil, if the round has the proper oal and feeds slick enough you won't push the boolit back into the case and a crimp isn't needed.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks folks for your suggestions,much appreciated . John

Boolit Mold
    I'm looking at the Lyman mold and the RCBS 85 grain mold. Neither have a crimp groove so where do I crimp