MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castor Oil?

Boolit Buddy

Castor Oil?

A pal was telling me about Castor Oil being used in two stroke Remote Control engines. He said it is commonly used in these high rpm fire breathing engines.
    Apparently at high temperatures Castor Oil palmerises and leaves a sticky wax that has short term lube properties in the event of oil stavation.

Being new to casting boolits, it occurred to me that Castor Oil might be used in boolit lubing.
    Have any of you tried it?

Thanks, Brian
    Last edited by WBG; 11-05-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling

My old Yamaha KT100cc gokart engine uses a castor blend to spin 14,500 to 16,000 rpm.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks bangerjim, Good info.in your links, I should have done a leeetle research before I got excited and posted it. Brian

Boolit Buddy
    100cc engine at 16,000 rpm. It's impressive that they hold together. Same with the RC engines that don't have bearings, just bushings, I'm told.
    Castor Oil must be a good thing. Brian

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Can you say laxative??????????? My grandmother always had a bottle in the medicine cabinet for those times you "needed a little help"!

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-27...l-oral/details

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WBG View Post
    100cc engine at 16,000 rpm. It's impressive that they hold together. Same with the RC engines that don't have bearings, just bushings, I'm told.
    Castor Oil must be a good thing. Brian
    Most of the R/C engines these days are all ball bearing, some even ceramic bearing. The bushing moters are for the most part, a thing of the past. There are still some cheaper engines that are bushed. One of my favorite engines for .40 size planes is the little OS .40FP which unfortunatly is no longer made. What a great little bushed engine! The main benefit of a bushed engine is they are pretty trouble free as far as needing any work internally. The main component of R/C nitro fuel is methanol which is hygroscopic and somewhat corrosive and it will attack the ball bearings and the caster oil gums them up if the engine sits for a while. Thats why little r/c engines you find in antique stores and stuff are usually "seized". Anyway the bearings need changed at times. If they corrode and the engine gets run it sends debris through the engine and usually trashes it.

If you think F1 or Kart engines rev high, there are nitro R/C engines that turn well over 50,000rpm! No thats not a typo either, lol!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Over 50,000rpm. That's fast!. Thanks for the info.

Boolit Buddy
    That's where I first heard of it! Grandma's laxative. ( Is this still a bullet lube thread? ) Brian

Banned

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by WBG View Post
    That's where I first heard of it! Grandma's laxative. ( Is this still a bullet lube thread? ) Brian

......well........at least it IS a lube!!!!!!!!!!! Just a different kind of tube!

Boolit Buddy

I once spoke to a guy who was an aviation mechanic during WW2. He said you don't have to drink the stuff to get the "full effect". He said dipping your arm in a bucket of castor bean oil would do the job (I took him at his word and never tried it). And, for those who have never experienced it, there is nothing to compare with the sound and smell of a racing two stroke running castor oil (and yes, I DID try that).

Boolit Buddy
    Gear, Thanks - good thread. Brian

Boolit Buddy
    Gunauthor. I'm gonna make a note. I know that all of your above info will serve me well! (chuckle) Brian

Boolit Buddy
    bangerjim, This is why I belong to this site! We get to the bottom of things. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    ......well........at least it IS a lube!!!!!!!!!!! Just a different kind of tube!
    And some of the boolits are crappier then others.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sure you've heard of Castrol brand motor oil, used by a lot of racers....
    Castor oil is , or was, one of the additives . I guess it still has castor oil in it...who knows.
    Everythings all synthetic now....nothing real anymore.

My Grandmother's medicine of choice was Cod Liver Oil......talk about nasty tasting !!!! You didn't ever say " I don't feel good " around that woman...you would get a dose no matter what ailed you.

Gary

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    I once spoke to a guy who was an aviation mechanic during WW2. He said you don't have to drink the stuff to get the "full effect". He said dipping your arm in a bucket of castor bean oil would do the job (I took him at his word and never tried it). And, for those who have never experienced it, there is nothing to compare with the sound and smell of a racing two stroke running castor oil (and yes, I DID try that).
    It was the standard oil for First World War rotary engines, which differed from the more-or-less modern radial in that the crankshaft was bolted to the aircraft and the rest of the engine whizzed round with the propeller fixed to it. It was a lighter engine than liquid cooled ones, and provided excellent cooling for the valves on the outer ends of the cylinders, in the days before alloy valve steels. Unfortunately throttling the engine made very little difference to its speed, and taxiing or a slow approach had to be done by blipping the ignition on and off, as much as you could do without killing it. In "The Dawn Patrol" you can hear the correct blipping noise while Errol Flynn's radial engine turns willingly at any speed the pilot wanted.

The reason for using castor oil was that its viscosity varied little with extremes of temperature, and although a modern RC engine may run very hot - very very hot in some cases, it sounds like - it is unlikely to be used at heights where it gets far colder than ground level. I think there are probably better mineral alternatives.

The full-sized rotary had a total loss lubrication system, but a quite different one in which most of the oil stayed separate from the fuel, and was sprayed from the unenclosed valves by centrifugal force. This did indeed produce one of the less publicized horrors of First World War aviation.

The Italian fascists used massive non-voluntary doses as an instrument of political reeducation, and they probably got the idea from Gabriele D'Annunzio the poet, who after flying in the war set himself up as tyrant of Fiume, disputed city on the Adriatic coast. During the war he led a squadron of Ansaldo SVAs (a much-underrated aircraft, and surely the fastest of the war) to drop leaflets on Vienna. Although the SVA was water-cooled, it may have been his experience as a pilot that brought castor oil into politics.

Boolit Buddy
    Great history from Scotland. I consider myself to be a history buff, but I can see that I am in the presence of greatness! Thanks for adding this fun stuff. Brian

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, Ok, I get it. Brian