Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C&R FFL question

Boolit Master

C&R FFL question

I am applying for a C&R, in reading the application they ask to send to the CLEO or Sherrif in your county. I called the Washoe County Sheriff office and they said they keep a license on file but do not have anything to do with the application, am I missing something here? They basically said it was between me and the Feds.

Boolit Bub
    That is all they do with it. When you renew your license they get a copy of the renewal application as well.

I dropped off a copy to the police chief when I applied and renewed. It's pretty much just a notification and not asking approval.

well actually, I walked down the hall from my office and tossed it on his desk

Boolit Master
    Ok I will mail mine in. Thanks.

In Remembrance

The CLEO gets the copy WITHOUT the payment info. Just a formallity unless you are a criminal there. LOL
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    Exactly as the guys said above. It is just a formality of letting them know, but they aren't involved in any way with the approval or anything else. When I got mine, I took it to the Sheriffs Office instead of the Police Chief, just cause I have a few friends who work down there and it was an excuse to visit.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Mold
    I sent mine 1st class certified so I had a recent that I mailed it. Call me paranoid, but at least I have it if there was ever a question.

I also included a brief letter outlining the federal requirement of notification and that the Chief didn't need to take any action.

Boolit Master
    Yes, thanks guys, I did mail them in, the Fed copy and the CLEO copy, the CLEO copy has the payment info blanked out.

Boolit Master

As an 03 FFL holder, I'm kind of a rarity in our small county. The first time I gave the Sheriff a copy of my application, he asked why?. Since then he hasn't mentioned it when I send him a copy of the renewal. Since I'm a county commissioner, I have more than a little contact with him and his deputies.

To give an idea how things are in small counties, his dad(previous sheriff) issued my first carry permit.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

This is my letter and it works for me
    You at
    Your address

Your town & zip
    date

Sheriff name
    Klamath County Sheriff
    3300 Vandenberg Rd.
    Klamath Falls, Oregon 97603

Dear Sheriff name:

I have enclosed a copy of my Federal Firearms License renewal form as required by federal regulation. This is for notification purposes only. You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above.

Sincerely,

signature

Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    This is my letter and it works for me
    You at
    Your address

Your town & zip
    date

Sheriff name
    Klamath County Sheriff
    3300 Vandenberg Rd.
    Klamath Falls, Oregon 97603

Dear Sheriff name:

I have enclosed a copy of my Federal Firearms License renewal form as required by federal regulation. This is for notification purposes only. You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above.

Sincerely,

signature

Regards, Woody
    I've saved this sample letter for possible use later(Hope you don't mind). I don't expect a change in the sheriff's office during my shooting lifetime but anything's possible. For now his office is less than a quarter mile from my home so I will just hand deliver.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

I've always hand delivered mine.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Master

http://www.cruffler.com/

I'm pretty sure I got my letter from some place on this website. Anyone thinking about a C&R should peruse this site.

http://www.cruffler.com/

Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just renewed mine. Time from sending in to receipt, three weeks.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I just renewed mine. Time from sending in to receipt, three weeks.
    That's not surprising with the current administration. My last renewal was pretty fast as well. They probably figured out that it's better and easier than getting us to register our guns so they don't hold it up.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    No confirmation on the FFL approval but I did notice the Feds charged my debit card.

Boolit Master
    That's good news, but I hope you didn't think they'd pass up a chance to take your money when you offered it.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Haha I know handing the Feds your card number I knew they would use it regardless!

Boolit Master
    Another question for you guys, I have a rifle I purchased here from a member, it is a C&R, but I agreed to buy it before I applied for my C&R, it is being shipped to my dealer. Now in between the time the rifle arrives and I receive my C&R, does this change the transaction in anyway with the FFL dealer?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    Another question for you guys, I have a rifle I purchased here from a member, it is a C&R, but I agreed to buy it before I applied for my C&R, it is being shipped to my dealer. Now in between the time the rifle arrives and I receive my C&R, does this change the transaction in anyway with the FFL dealer?
    If you have your 03 in hand, take a copy with you, it will speed things up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!