Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubricant for presses?

Super Moderator

Lubricant for presses?

I'm in the process of completely tearing down and thoroughly cleaning and lubing my 30 year old RCBS Rockchucker press. Up until this point I have just been using Breakfree CLP from time to time on the ram and pivot points. It seems to work well. I'm wondering what some of you guys are using to lube your presses...grease on the ram or?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Mystik JT6.....the slickest "bestest" grease you can buy. I use it on everything that needs grease! From lathe ways to bearings to tools to.....everything. Get it at WalMart or auto stores.

Boolit Grand Master

STP because it was sitting right there.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Powder liquid wrench,doesn't attract dust comes in a spray can easy to get and use
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Any oil or thin grease would be good for presses,
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Mobile Synthetic. Also a good gun lube where grease or a 'durable lube' is not needed. I quit using CLP when my stash ran out, as it is too expensive.

Find a few bottles with different style dispensers/applicators so the right amount can be place in the right place. I especially like the needle-nose/syringe style.

I also like Rig products.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

dry teflon and then some molycote on the ram. Ever worked for me. Dry teflon doesn't attract dust. Graphite and molykote works well too

Boolit Grand Master

On press rams I use a good gear (heavy wieght oil 80-90 wieght) oil lube a few drops when done cycle ram a few times and let set till next use to migrate. Piviot pins and linckages depends on play and such but a medium mpotor oil to gear lube works well. The exceptions to this are my summit since it has a grease zerk on the head / ram and my Coax. The Alighnment rods get a light coat of grease along with the linkage pins surfaces. The one draw back to grease is that you almost have to disassemble the press to get it where it needs to be, oil even the heavyier gear lubes will wick in to the working areas eventually. grease is better for staying put where you want it, oils wick in better. On the rams a tight fitted ram may be more fussy to lube as there needs to be room for it in the joints. On a brand new press with a tight ram and linkage greases and gear lubes may not work into the areas needed as good. One check on rams is to put a few drops of lube on joint and come back the next day see it it has worked thru to bottom of housing. One other thing to do is to occassionally wash the crud out of these joints bearing surfaces, primer residue, carbon, and such are very abrasive and the accumulation needs to be removed occasionally. A good spray solvent and working the press with a bucket under it does a fair job. Then relube. Otherwise the new lube holds the crud and becomes a mild lapping compound. When I rebuilt my coax I considered grease zerks on all the joints, makes lubing quick and easy, grease goes where it needs to be, and putting it in the bearing under pressure tends to push crud and old grease out. Have rebuilt rockchuckers, and some others for friends and ussually a good cleaning removing rust and years of built up crud then a relube goes along ways.

Super Moderator

Thanks Guys....It appears like a variety of stuff works. My Rockchucker has always worked fine, but it was just getting really grungy. I have it off the bench, and I will give it a bath after work. I will probably lightly grease the ram, and oil the pivot points. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    I use gun grease. The kind that is in the grease gun out in the shop I use on all my tractors. I keep a small container of it here on my reloading bench. And some 5-30W engine oil for the pivot pins. I keep a small can of that here on the reloading bench also.

I have a needle bottle filled with Mobile-One 5-30 that I have had for a lot of years (R/C racing back in the late 80's). Works great.

Boolit Buddy
    Rem-oil

Boolit Master

I use the same Lithium Grease that I use on my M1 Garand for the rams on both of my presses. It works
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

While you have it apart check it carefully for wear. RCBS will replace any worn parts. Also, there are several "C" clips on the Rockchucker, and they should be replaced with new clips when you reassemble the press. RCBS will provide new clips for the asking.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Breakfree CLP and the last time it was cleaned I used Tri-Flo. It seems to work just as well.

But presses got no loob grooves

Banned

About any good grease or oil but I use STP since it is handy and is used on revolver cylinder pins. I put it in a squeeze bottle. Works great on the case trimmer shaft too.

Boolit Master
    Case resizing lube works pretty well, if nothing else is around.

I tryed the lee case lube that came with my press. Worked well even after it dryed but was a bit messy. Now i just give it a squirt of rem oil as its cheap and always on hand on my reloading/ cleaning bench. Plus if u use the stuff in the can the straw will easly get in thoes hard to reach places.
    I cast therefor I shoot. Or is it the outher way around?

Boolit Grand Master

I picked up several 24-100 CC syringes and fine 2" needles, at the vets. I use them to put lube just where its needed.
    It's easy to apply just a tiny bit or in a deep place like the linkage on a press.
    Be sure to keep the needle protectors in place.
    Information not shared. is wasted.