RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black eyed peas with ham hocks!!!

Boolit Bub
    Hey there LL, That sounds great, Tastes even better. My wife cooks blackeyed peas frequently. We enjoy them, she uses her mom and grandmother's recipe and it tastes great. Thanks for getting my tongue all ready for BEP's. Take care, John.
    NRA life member.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Sure nothin wrong with that , do you crumble the cornbread in the peas of have it on the side ?
    Cornbread is for sopping up the gravy. If you got buttermilk, you can put the remaining cornbread in there with a little salt, pepper and hot sauce. Long handle spoon and you wont need any dessert. Well maybe a smaller helping.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Cornbread is for sopping up the gravy. If you got buttermilk, you can put the remaining cornbread in there with a little salt, pepper and hot sauce. Long handle spoon and you wont need any dessert. Well maybe a smaller helping.
    OK Guys I don't want to shift this thread but the buttermilk thing has got me really remembering !!!!

Every two weeks or so on Fridays ( Now I realize my family was poor) My Dad would bring home a jug of Fresh buttermilk ( from a farmer he helped out) My Mom would have made plenty of boiled potatoes on his arrival. He would fill our bowls full of fresh buttermilk and my Mom put out the boiled potatoes and we would feast on the potatoes immersed in the buttermilk! It was a very satisfying meal !
    So simple...... such a great memory! Thank you for triggering it!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Perm-Banned
    i love blackeyed peas but since i had my gallbladder out i blow up like a beach ball if i eat them. if anyone can tell me how to take the gas out of them i would love to eat them again. those and red kidney beans i really miss.

Boolit Master

mmmm, that sounds delish. Now I have to swing by one of the two smoke houses in the area for some ham hocks.

About the only bean I couldn't enjoy was black beans and black bean soups. Always had a sour off taste to me.

The rest of them, dish them up!! white beans, navy, red, black eyed, and the cheap green or yellow peas for soups. I can remember being a poor college student when I didn't have the money for a ham hocks and I could still make a killer pea soup with a bag of dry peas, a shriveled carrot or two, and a big onion. Not having much spices in my apartment I did have some herbed garlic salt I got on the supermarket blow out shelf. I accidentally dumped more than I intended into the pea soup and it was the best I'd ever made.

Not much collards, turnip greens etc for sale up in yankee land. I've done Kale but its not the same.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    i love blackeyed peas but since i had my gallbladder out i blow up like a beach ball if i eat them. if anyone can tell me how to take the gas out of them i would love to eat them again. those and red kidney beans i really miss.
    I don't think there is any way to Completely DeGas them but a full 24 hour soak and changing the water several times makes them much more bearable...they don't bother me much...my wife is another matter.

In Remembrance

People in our area eat black eyed peas only in the green state, just mature enough to shell. We leave some immature "snaps" in also. Most do not care for the dried form.

Moderator Emeritus

Being a good southern country boy, ain't nothin' better'n a big ol' plate'a black eyed peas! I like to add onions in them, but my wife doesn't, so she usually cooks them her way. Big surprise, huh? Then, I just dice up some onion pretty fine and mix it in mine on the plate. Ain't nothin' better, unless maybe it's those great pink eyed peas.

One tip I picked up for this type of cooking from my neighbor who used to own a very popular seafood restaurant near the coast that was widely touted, is that any time you're cooking beans, there's that danger of getting gas from them, especially if you add in onions and many spices to jazz the dish up. Sometimes, that's really good, especially in cold weather, and the secret to not getting gas is to cook the gas out of them. Just let 'em simmer at least 2 hrs., keeping them well covered with water, and believe it or not, it really works. And man alive are they GOOD! The cornbread, bacon, sausage or whatever else you have is awfully good. When my wife's in a hurry (usually), she'll often add in a pork bullion cube, and that gets us by in a hurry, but there's really nothing like the full meal deal when you're cooking beans and peas. That no-gas thing works for lima beans, too. I don't know what the chemistry is or why it works, but it sure does. So, now you can eat yer beans an' not offend anyone with more delicate sensibilities.