Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: If you could have only one revolver.....

Boolit Mold
    My Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag with 7-1/2" barrel would be my Number One. My Number Two would be my Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag with 4-5/8" barrel. Both wear Pachmayr Presentation Grips. I love them both.

DRSLYR

My choice for a single action would be what I have- a new model Blackhawk in 44 special, 4.5 inch barrel. Double action would be my Smith model 60, 3 inch .357, mostly used with 38 special ammo. Both guns pretty much exclusive cast boolit shooters of course.

Boolit Man
    Only one revolver?

I am glad it was not "just one handgun period".

For revolvers this one is fairly easy,

I had a 29-2 customized to my specs with a 5" barrel, interchangeable front sights (DX style), trigger narrowed and polished, complete with action job. It is carried in a Milt Sparks rig and it is a pure joy to shoot.

Boolit Master

Welcome Mackay!
    Nice pics.

Boolit Master

Nice pics indeed. Ed McGivern book is a nice touch too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome, Mackay! Nice pics. Good looking Euro mount boar, too.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Well after going by this thread for almost 2 years I decided it was time I dippedvmy toe in.

I have exactly 1 revolver, Heritage .22lr with the second cylinder for .22 mag, 6 " barrel, single action.
    I like it, it shoots straight, no function problems, hits pretty much what you aim at. Now my wife she loves this gun. She just kind of lines it up and blasts away 6 times but her groups will be half the size of mine at 25 yards. If you really want to shoot something dead it will do it, just aim for the eyeball and don't miss.

There is no bears for the most part in this part of North Dakota, and the streets are quiet. It does the job I need it to do.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I bet I know who can fix THAT!
    Original Ruger cylinder has .433 throats, the .44-40 is .4305 and the barrel is .4295, so unless you have invented the "puttin' on" tool, which will make you a rich man, I'll have to be content with the .44 Magnum cylinder the way it is. Truth be told I do most of my single-action shooting these days with the .45 Colt / .45 ACP convertible for which you reamed both cylinders for me, and I am very happy with that combination. I don't load the .45 Colt "hot" so usually go for the .44 Magnum or .44-40 when I want something with more ooomph than .45 ACP.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Sounds like a new/properly sized cylinder is in order.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Sounds like a new/properly sized cylinder is in order.
    That's the funny thing, Markbo.......per SAAMI, a throat spec of .433" is the high side of normal for both 44 Special and 44 Magnum. MANY S&W 44 Mags from the 1980s and 1990s came with .433"-.434" throats. Gopher Slayer and I a few years back took a set of pin gauges to 5 different Model 29-series examples that were part of an estate sale. These units were from that era. Of the 30 cylinder throats samples, I recall one being .432"......3 or 4 at .434"......and the rest all at .433". Having a Redhawk already in 44 Magnum with nice OEM throats at .430", I declined to purchase any of these--not wishing to dance with custom mould one-off tools and likely Taylor-esque forcing cone work to make the fatcastings mesh with the usual .4285"-.4295" grooves found in S&W barrels. I was a little burned out on poetic internal revolver dimensions after having recently finished the building of The Backwards Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt. No mas.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Man that's a tough one! It would have to suffice for mice to moose, but given that catagory I don't think I could beat the Ruger Toklat

I would send it off for a trigger job and get the cylinder machined to take moon clips for 45 ACP.

But since I haven't had to make that decision, I find a 357 paired with a 480 fits my needs better.

I would love to have an BFR in 45/70 with a Muzzle Brake of course... But until I can afford to rap my hands around one My 44mag Super Black Hawk Hunter will have to do....lol....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super Hunters2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	151682
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Just a plane old 4" 629 with a Hillary hole in it does the trick for me. Mine has a green Hi-Viz front sight and it shoots a 250gr Keith into about 2" @ 25yds(when I do my part) with 16.5 grs of 2400. I have 17 hand guns but this is the one I reach for almost all the time. No action job or mods other than the front sight...just load up and shoot the thing.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    I used to have a Colt Python .357 Mag. I sold it for a pittance compared to what its worth now. It was an awesome shooter I wish I had never sold it. A charter arms bulldog in .44 special is in my near future God willing and Wife willing. But I don't know if it can be considered If I could only have one.

Well ... if I could just have one revolver ... then I'd just keep my three S&W Model 624's in .44 Special! (They're all the same gun, right?) I bought the first one brand new in 6 1/2" and I liked it so much that I bought a used 4" a year or so later, and then "fell" into another 6 1/2" at a price that I just couldn't refuse! They all shoot great with pretty much any powder and bullet combinations I've tried and with medium power level .44 Special loads they should last far longer than I will!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I recently acquired a Smith & Wesson 586 L-Comp. I'm not totally sold on it yet. It does shoot quite well. Double action is pretty nice, but the single action is not all it should be. It has a 3" ported barrel, which seems about the ideal length in my hands. Perhaps with an action job I will learn to like it better.

Otherwise it is my 22-4 which has been extensively modified internally. I really like that revolver. Reloads with moon clips have to be nearly as fast as a magazine change on a semi auto.

I tend to lean towards the L-Comp mostly because it shares ammo with my lever rifle. As a friend told me once, the L-Comp is the "Goldilocks gun." Not too big, not too small, "just right." I tend to agree.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd move out of that place and go to Free America where I can own as many
    as I want.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    If concealment is considered...my 3" Ruger SP101 in .327 federal magnum. If not worried about concealment...my 4" Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum.