Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Taming the Nineteen-Seventeen Bolt (American Rifleman Mar 1918)

Post Taming the Nineteen-Seventeen Bolt (American Rifleman Mar 1918)

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_...1917_Bolt.html

Supposedly, a patent was applied for. Not found it yet.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

I been taking 1917 bolts apart since my first one in the 50's by using a nickel. Never had anything fly apart yet and it's a piece of cake...I see where someone has made a commercial piece like a coin with a notch cut out of it that does the same thing as the old nickel trick...It's all about using the "cock on closing" feature...open the bolt...engage the safety..push the bolt forward and force it into the safety...that pushes the cocking piece back...slip a nickel in the space...release the bolt and unscrew the cocking piece...bingo...all apart...reverse to re assemble...I'm sure You tube has a video somewhere about this simple procedure.

Boolit Master
    Same with the P14 Enfield. I was inexperienced when I started out with one, and it didn't do a thing to me.

Boolit Buddy
    While I have never broken mine, the safety is a fairly thin part was not designed to take the forces applied when using it to hold the bolt in this fashion. I prefer to remove the bolt and using the back of my vice as a 90 degree surface, pull the bolt against the cocking piece to separate them and then insert the nickle.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WineMan View Post
    While I have never broken mine, the safety is a fairly thin part was not designed to take the forces applied when using it to hold the bolt in this fashion. I prefer to remove the bolt and using the back of my vice as a 90 degree surface, pull the bolt against the cocking piece to separate them and then insert the nickle.

Dave
    or a heavy shoe/boot lace around the cocking piece...

Boolit Master
    Indeed. That is what I did, in the special notch which the designers provided for the purpose.

I recall using a nickel on my (much missed) Remington Model 30S, which was a cock-on-opening sporter version of the M1917.