Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: What's up Doc? Or, do you have any rabbit recipes?

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.

What's up Doc? Or, do you have any rabbit recipes?

Two bunnies met their fate last evening.
    Thanks to youtube I learned how to skin and clean them. (Never done it before)

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.
    I'm thinking about maybe a curry stew, but there are so many recipes out there.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by BBQJOE; 08-18-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Man , your sure not getting much feedback from so many hunters . I prefer to just slow cook em on the grill over charcoal , barbecue sauce sauce is an option .

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Man , your sure not getting much feedback from so many hunters . I prefer to just slow cook em on the grill over charcoal , barbecue sauce sauce is an option .
    I just decided to go with a Potjie. Lots of veggies, spices and seasonings.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Made rabbit stew a thousand time as a kid running the creek . Rabbit seems a little bland to me , seasonings are what makes it . Lots of onion and black pepper , garlic works wonders also . Good luck , give a range report !

Moderator Emeritus

S&P, flour, fry like chicken...

Boolit Grand Master

Treat it just like chicken. You have to try making a potpie with rabbit meat instead of chicken. You'll wonder why you've been messing around with yard birds all this time!
    Fried is also good, but I'll tell you my favorite style of all (like slap yo grandma good!!!) is to boil the rabbit down and shred the meat. Season it with salt pepper and garlic. Wrap it up in flour tortillas and fry it in cast iron skillet to make the best doggon chimichangas you've ever had.

Personally, I think it was some sort of political coup that explains why chicken became the #1 meat staple in this country rather than rabbit. I really don't understand how the scrubby yard bird was able to beat out the rabbit. Makes no sense whatsoever.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I ain't responded because it's August. Ya don't kill and eat rabbit OR squirrel in a month without an R in it in the south.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    S&P, flour, fry like chicken...
    ^^^This^^^

A couple weeks ago we wrapped one in bacon and thru it in the smoker. That came out really good.

Banned

we used to bone off all the meat and cut it into chunks and dip it in egg then fry magic and deap fry it. Kids called it rabbit mcnuggets. Wife and I would take some of the deap fried nuggets and put them in cream of mush soup and serve it on potatoes or noodles and it was great like that too.

Boolit Buddy

I agree kind of early to be shooyin rabbits round here too. Anyhow Like Mary or Loyd said it's pretty good if fried especially if young rabbit. I have also deboned young rabbit and used it in stirfry. Bunny potpie sounds good too.
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Hasenpfeffer, Fried Rabbit, Small or Big game Pasties (even room temp they're great,especially for a in the field lunch at the car).

Back in HS in the '70s I shot a couple of bunnies. I asked the teach if I could bring them in for the Friday cook time in foods class. There were four to a group kitchen. We made Italian Roasted Rabbit. Two rabbits rubbed with sage, pepper, salt, and a touch of garlic and basil. Wrapped with bacon and toothpicks. With cut up onions, carrots, and potatoes around them in a 13 - 9 baking pan with good coating of olive oil in the bottom of the pan. Aluminum foil over the whole works and baked then remove foil to give the bacon a little crisp. Ooooow, Ooooow, Eeewww, yuck the girls were doing until we got one to try it and then the "hey that's pretty good" with a few more of the girls trying it with appeal.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Mold
    Hey ,this is suspiciously like my Mum's recipe . She always preferred to cook a three-quarter grown rabbit ,and would do one each for my father and I for dinner ( Mum grew up in the bush during the Great Depression , and the rabbits often appeared on the dinner table, thanks to my Mothers' brothers and their dogs , ferrets , and .22 rifles : so much so , in fact , that mum swore that by the time she was 18y.o. , she couldn't look at another bunny ) . Probably the major difference in the recipes is that Mum cooked with the fat (drippings) saved from previously cooked roasts-beef,lamb,chicken - with sufficient butter added to the pan . Always served with the full compliment of roasted vegetables aqnd a gravy , unless the rabbit was eaten cold when it was then usually unaccompanied and eaten in the hand .,picnic style . The other major difference is that Mum mixed the seasonings with fresh breadcrumbs and placed the mixture in the stomach cavity of the rabbit/s . Damned delicious .

Perma-Banned
    salt & pepper to taste, roll in flour or House Autry chicken breader, fry about 1/2 done in a sizzlin' hot skillet, reduce heat, thin slice an onion over it, in a tall glass mix 1/2 & 1/2 water & milk and stir a big spoonful of flour into that, pour over rabbit, cover tightly & simmer til the meat falls off the bones. keep plenty of napkins on hand to wipe yer chin with.

Moderator Emeritus

Where are the biscuits to soak up the gravy! I grew up with fresh biscuits most meals, or fresh baked bread. Even though mom worked full time she made sure we were well fed. As we got older us kids(5 of us!) took over a lot of the cooking duties after school.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    salt & pepper to taste, roll in flour or House Autry chicken breader, fry about 1/2 done in a sizzlin' hot skillet, reduce heat, thin slice an onion over it, in a tall glass mix 1/2 & 1/2 water & milk and stir a big spoonful of flour into that, pour over rabbit, cover tightly & simmer til the meat falls off the bones. keep plenty of napkins on hand to wipe yer chin with.

Perma-Banned
    the biscuits were always a given in my granny's kitchen(along with her awesome home-made butter) so, I didn't think they even needed mentionin'.

Boolit Grand Master

Cooked in your favorite spaghetti sauce.. Rabbit Cacciatori.
    Rabbit Creole
    Rabbit Sauce Piquant
    Fricasseed Rabbit
    Pot Roasted Rabbit
    Stewed Rabbit
    If you need a recipe, let me know and I'll post it.

Gary

Thanks for all the attention folks!
    Lots of ideas.
    I took those two wascally wabbits (got both with one shot) and put them in a potjie and cooked the up with a bunch of veggies and a beer.
    If you didn't know any better, you'd say it was chicken. Now that we're getting into the R months, I may have to find some more.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    I ain't responded because it's August. Ya don't kill and eat rabbit OR squirrel in a month without an R in it in the south.

GoodOlBoy
    May I ask why you say not to eat them without the R in the month. I was told that you do not do up horseradish also with out the R in the month why is that also if any one know.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA