RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Did some casting today

Boolit Master

Did some casting today

Woke up to a beautiful morning - sun shining and about 60 deg. Decided to take advantage of it and do some casting. Everything did NOT go smoothly. Had 3 moulds that I haven't had a chance to use yet. Lee 6 cavity 312-155, Lee 6 cavity 358-150 RN and Lee 2 cavity 314-90 SWC. Cleaned all 3 with hot water and dawn, then mineral spirits. Checked all 3 for burrs or other issues and started casting with the 312-155. Ran into problems right off the bat - boolits weren't dropping cleanly. Checked for burrs again and tried again - no dice. In desperation I smoked it lightly (which I normally avoid) with a butane lighter. It started cooperating and dropping good boolits at .313-.3135 - all good. Next - the wood part would not stay on the handles, so I pinned them on with some roll pins. The 358-150 RN was a joy to use. No problems at all, ditto with the 2 cavity. Wound up with this;

Attachment 148880
    Attachment 148881
    Attachment 148882

Gonna let 'em sit a while and size and lube 'em some time during the week. All in all it worked out ok, enjoyed every minute of it.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

Nice! Yep, the drop in temperature sure helps us casting folks. Not so low here yet but it was a lot cooler than the last few months of +100's.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    I knocked out a half a bajillion 9's today.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Boolit Master

Buddy, I walked out the door and felt that cool air - all I could do was smile!
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

That is a lot of boolits. How many cavity molds do you have? All my molds are just 2 cavity and that would take me all day. I would need to even get a early start. I cast about 500 today and PC close to 1,000. It is getting that time of year where I am drawn back to my garage and casting equipment.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master
    I went shooting.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin