Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw this beauty today

Saw this beauty today, bought it !

Pretty sure it has been restored , but very nice job. 25 Ideal caliber. Poor cellphone photos, sorry. The case coloring much better in person .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by mm1ut1; 09-04-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    OH Wow, beautiful! If I had that in my hands and it was for sale, I would be in SO much trouble with SWMBO !!!!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Wonderful.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, they don't even have stuff like that on Gun Broker. Where do you find such a fine item.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know where to find one, but I would rather have one rifle like that than a truckload of plastic and aluminum bolt together bullet launchers.

Robert

Boolit Master
    try looking at www.cparifles.com sometime...

That's a beautiful rifle to be sure. There is something just right about the old single shot rifles. Mk42gunner, I concur with your sentiment. Walnut and steel is a combination that sort of speaks to the heart, doesn't it?

I feel the same way about my 1958 BSA motorcycle. It is perhaps a different concept of "quality."
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    Ok, I admit it, that is a beautiful rifle. What is it? Make? Or is it a full custom piece.

Boolit Master
    Rick, the rifle was made by Stevens on what they called the 44 action which is comparable to the Ballard in strength. They redesigned the action in 1904 to handle smokeless powder and called it the 44-1/2. They were made in several grades and I have no idea which model that rifle is. I think they were all dropped about the time of WWI.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

CPA makes a very nice reproduction of the 44 1/2 in several diffrent models. I have a shillouette model in 40-65 that is a lovely rifle and also a great shooter. Look at their website to see the rifles. Give them a call and talk to them they are very informative and helpfull. Its a small shop and custom built to order rifles so expect 8 weeks or so lead time. I opted for fancy walnut stock forend and loop filler. Look at what they offer and see some very nice rifles if nothing else.

Perm-Banned
    i have a cpa 44 and 1/2, 45/70. they are a good action.

Boolit Master
    Pretty rifle indeed. I'm looking at a modern Ballard #7 right now in 45-110. Love the classics.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Rick, the rifle was made by Stevens on what they called the 44 action which is comparable to the Ballard in strength. They redesigned the action in 1904 to handle smokeless powder and called it the 44-1/2. They were made in several grades and I have no idea which model that rifle is. I think they were all dropped about the time of WWI.
    The 44 is not a very strong action. There were some made in 32-40 and 38-55 with a lug on the hammer to help hold the breach closed ( some on the 28-30). These were designed for target loads and did not hold up with hunting loads so they were discontinued. The 44-1/2 is a true falling block and is much stronger. The Stevens 44 is probably as strong as the cast Ballard which was for black powder pistol cartridges. The forged steel Ballard is much stronger and designed for rifle cartridges.
    Had a 44 come into the shop a while back that had two broken breach blocks with it. It was originally chambered in 25-20 but someone chambered it to 25-35. That's going from a 16,000 psi to a 42,000 psi cartridge. One of my customers bought it that way, probably from some guys estate sale.

Boolit Master
    That is a beautiful rifle...it is probably heresy here, but the rolling block just looks awkward to me...the lines of the rifle ungainly? That Stevens is a thing of beauty. Well.....except for the shuetzen style butplate with hooks. LOL...

Going to take a second look today. Believe it or not my WIFE wants to buy it !

Boolit Man
    Smart Woman, you are a Blessed man!

Boolit Buddy
    Hell My wife would have.

Picked it up today. A few more photos. Rounds are a 45/100 next to the 25.21 .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

One beautiful weapon for sure, congrats.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    The 44 is not a very strong action. There were some made in 32-40 and 38-55 with a lug on the hammer to help hold the breach closed ( some on the 28-30). These were designed for target loads and did not hold up with hunting loads so they were discontinued. The 44-1/2 is a true falling block and is much stronger. The Stevens 44 is probably as strong as the cast Ballard which was for black powder pistol cartridges. The forged steel Ballard is much stronger and designed for rifle cartridges.
    Had a 44 come into the shop a while back that had two broken breach blocks with it. It was originally chambered in 25-20 but someone chambered it to 25-35. That's going from a 16,000 psi to a 42,000 psi cartridge. One of my customers bought it that way, probably from some guys estate sale.
    This is exactly right. There are big differences between early and late Ballards, and between the Stevens 44 and 44½, so big that it is a pity Stevens didn't give the last a model number that didn't foster delusions.

I suppose they wanted to cash in on the reputation of the 44, which was an excellent rifle for low powered cartridges. It was popular in the early days of smallbore target shooting in the UK, for it had the ability squeeze the rimfire round into the beginning of the rifle, which improved barrel accuracy, and it permitted cleaning from the rear. The reason the Francotte-design small Martini won out was trigger pull, since the rules didn't permit a set trigger. The 44½ not only was made of steel rather than malleable cast iron, but traded off that forward tilt of the block for upward slide and therefore strength of lockup.