Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: NRA poll

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    there were 70 to 80 million gun owners in the US, I doubt that most of them are anti gun. They dwarf the NRA's 5 million members.
    Owning a firearm makes you a firearm owner. Nothing more nothing less. Owning a firearm and voting for anti-gun candidates makes you anti-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    And if every gun owner was an NRA member there would be no worry about restrictive gun laws, even in CA or NY.
    It is their choice, but almost every person that buys a gun or accessory donates to the NRA, companies like Ruger donate a dollar to NRA for every weapon sold. Taurus donates for a membership every weapon sold, the purchaser only has to fill out the card. Not included in that is the advertising to the tune of over 20 million dollars that is supported by gun manufacturers, and accessory manufacturers. Without the votes of those(probably over 80 million) gun owners the NRA would be up a creek without a paddle. It is about time that some of the members show some respect for those voters. At least try not to turn them off, and push them to the other side, or have them just sit at home.

BTW the NRA brings in over 200 million dollars a year, and in 2010 only 10 million went to lobby, or legal action. So far I have not seen one constitutional carry case that the NRA has tried to get to SCOTUS. If the 2A was held up to strict scrutiny, and a case was won, there would be no more gun control. Can't imagine why they are not going for it, especially when Scalia made remarks that he would at least be in favor of constitutional open carry in Heller. Yet years later NRA has not taken him up on it, how much longer do you think he will be on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Owning a firearm makes you a firearm owner. Nothing more nothing less. Owning a firearm and voting for anti-gun candidates makes you anti-gun.
    You think that 5 million voters are electing pro gun conservatives? Do you know how many votes are cast in an election? You really think that NRA members alone are winning without the support of other voters?

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Do you even know the history of NFA, and GCA? Who do you think helped with those laws, and supported them?

Every single gun law has gun control in the law. I have not seen the NRA lobby for nationwide constitutional carry, that is what the second amendment is. Having some, is better than nothing, but let's not fall into the trap that the 2A was written for gun control, in any form.

Without gun owners, there would be no resistance to taking gun rights away. And there are a hell of a lot more gun owners than NRA members. In 2010 there were 70 to 80 million gun owners in the US, I doubt that most of them are anti gun. They dwarf the NRA's 5 million members.
    Have you ever taken the time to meet any of those folks and shook their hand as I have or attended ONE of their meetings?

If you would like to receive MY Second Amendment Freedom Rally Host hat (where my late friend Otis McDonald spoke shortly after he won the right to own a handgun in Chiraq with the SCOTUS) please send me your real name and address.

Some day look up illinoiscarry.com to see a very active group I am also a member of.

Then there is the Illinois State Rifle Assn and a couple more I help out at.

Again please share with us just how you are actively working to achieve many of the goals YOU mentioned?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Grand Master

It is their choice, but almost every person that buys a gun or accessory donates to the NRA, companies like Ruger donate a dollar to NRA for every weapon sold. Taurus donates for a membership every weapon sold, the purchaser only has to fill out the card. Not included in that is the advertising to the tune of over 20 million dollars that is supported by gun manufacturers, and accessory manufacturers. Without the votes of those(probably over 80 million) gun owners the NRA would be up a creek without a paddle. It is about time that some of the members show some respect for those voters. At least try not to turn them off, and push them to the other side, or have them just sit at home.

BTW the NRA brings in over 200 million dollars a year, and in 2010 only 10 million went to lobby, or legal action. So far I have not seen one constitutional carry case that the NRA has tried to get to SCOTUS. If the 2A was held up to strict scrutiny, and a case was won, there would be no more gun control. Can't imagine why they are not going for it, especially when Scalia made remarks that he would at least be in favor of constitutional open carry in Heller. Yet years later NRA has not taken him up on it, how much longer do you think he will be on the bench.
    I don't suppose you can see the circularity of your reasoning can you?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Instead of beating up on gun owners that are not part of the NRA why not instead let them know what they get with NRA membership? The insurances alone are worth the $25 a month for a lifetime membership using the Easy Pay Life (EPL) plan. I do not recommend the yearly plan, it does not count toward your $1000 lifetime membership. You can give more once you pay for your lifetime membership, and with the NRA roundup program at some LGS'.

I hope a plug for the NRA is not out of place, but here is what you get:

An official NRA Membership ID card - showing your Membership ID number and expiration date or Life Member status. You should carry this card with you at all times.
    Yea, I know whoopty-do a card, but this card gets you many NRA discounts such as car rentals and such.

With all regular memberships, you will get a choice of subscription to American Rifleman, American Hunter, or America's 1st Freedom. (Premium Digital Editions now available)
    A lot of ads and political columns but some good articles as well, I get the digital edition to reduce costs for the NRA.

Junior members receive a subscription to Insights.

Annual members receive $5,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of renewal. (Does not include Junior membership.)
    This is roughly $5 to $10 a month through an insurance company.

Life members receive $10,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at NO COST to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of upgrade to Life member status
    This is roughly $5 to $10 a month through an insurance company.

Law Enforcement Officers, that are NRA members, killed in the line of duty will have $25,000 in coverage.

$2,500 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage.
    Yea, its only $2,500 and most of us have more guns than that but its another $5 or $10 if you paid an insurance company on your own. And it will cover you if your weapon is stolen from your vehicle if you need to leave it in there for any reason.

Then of course is the NRA-ILA, what I take it is that your membership dues can't be used by them so those that say they are supporting our 2A rights by being a member only are not entirely correct. Here is what I understand:

NRA membership dues go to the main organization and are not used for political purposes and are not tax deductible.

NRA ILA http://www.nraila.org/ is the lobbying branch of the NRA and this is funding used for NRA people in DC and the state capitals who interact with various legislative bodies.

The NRA PVF http://www.nrapvf.org/ is the fund used for making contributions to political candidates and for political advertising.

The NRA Foundation http://www.nrafoundation.org/ is tax deductible and it does things like safety and marksmanship training and range programs. This is a Section 501(c)(3) organization making donations tax deductible.

The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund http://www.nradefensefund.org/ is the branch that helps with things like law suites and other gun rights court cases. This one is also tax deductible as a Section 501(c)(3) org.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy

The NRA does a whole lot more than legislative work. Maybe you do not see the value in shooting ranges, youth programs, safety programs etc...
    If that was your beef with the NRA, you can easily send money directly to the ILA. That money goes solely for legislative work.

Good for you if you send letters and make calls, that is good and everyone should do it. The whole point here is that membership numbers give the NRA (gun owners) clout. Without that we would be nowhere. You can open carry all day long, that does not change any politician's desire to ban guns, it DOES give them something to point at to give their liberal voters someone to hate. I am not saying that people should not exercise their right to carry, I am saying that carrying openly does nothing to help defeat or prevent anti gun legislation or even attitudes.

I am a patron or benefactor life member, I do not recall which. But, I still send a couple hundred dollars a year to the ILA. I also attend NRA Foundation dinners. The foundation has nothing to do with legislation, but the money raised goes to shooting range grants, youth shooting programs, Boy Scouts shooting programs, and other things that will help keep our gun heritage alive.

Go save your $35 per year, and when you buy a gun for $500 you can think to yourself how much you contributed involuntarily by the manufacturer donating for you. At a rate of 0.2% of your purchase.

NRA membership has no downside that I can see. There are some benefits, none that I have used, but other than the $35 NO DOWNSIDE. I do like American Rifleman, and read First Freedom when one of my gift memberships is done with it.

I am a machine gun owner with a fair amount of NFA stull. The NRA sold us out. But I am still a member. Reluctantly, but I am still a member.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

the nra may not be perfect but there the best dog in the fight right now.

Boolit Grand Master

I support the NRA and have for the last 40 years or more, but I do get a little tired of the constant begging. The wasted money on sending support us letters to the same folks who have BEEN supporting them. As for the polls what good does it do to have a poll that asks gun owners what they think about gun laws, that's like asking a vegan what he thinks meat!

Bottom line is I don't like all they do but they are the best we have so I put up with the stuff I don't like and keep sending the dollars.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had contacted the NRA years ago, and told them to knock off the constant solicitation. Now I get maybe two mail notices a year, a phone call maybe once a year. Now if I could only get AARP, non-profits, and politicians to do the same, or less.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I like that some suppliers have round-up programs to give money to the NRA. Every-time I buy from Midway I add a little. Since the NRA does not know its me they don't sent me extra advertising. I still always try to get everyone to join the NRA as its the only game in town. Plus my range requires it as the NRA also is the biggest help to get ranges operating, trained and insured. Yes, they have the best safety training programs.

Boolit Master
    Waksupi I did the same when I upgraded to life membership. They've been very good about limiting calls and solicitations. Fortunately I've never gotten an aarp call and EVERY single piece of mail gets a return call demanding that they remove my name from their mailing list. Not much you can do about politicians. They specifically exempted themselves from the "Do not Call" laws.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Do all of you get this upset about the HWI, or ACE Hardware, or whatever you have in your area, flyers you get in the mail. Non of you get any other local ads or sales info. Is that also maddening?

How bout those freebe so called papers you likely get every week.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I have a question for all of you NRA supporters, how many of you red NRA banner members are working on a blue banner? Not trying to diminish your contributions, I honestly want to know.

Also, I see a few seeming to be members but no banner, what's up with that?
    I don't know red banners from blue banners because I don't do banners, but I joined the NRA in '65, when I bought my first guns.

Except for 1972, I have been an annual member ever since.
    I fantasized about having a Lifetime membership back around '69/'70. but could not come close to the $300 price.
    During various membership drives, I managed to convince something like thirty people to join up. Many only stayed for that one year, but some became permanent.
    So, my 'contribution' has been around $1300 and a dozen solid additions to the membership ranks ... the part that impresses politicians.

As for the banner question ...

I don't wear a shooting cap with a dozen pins on it, and I don't own a vest covered with membership patches.
    I do what I do without much fanfare, and I've never been much for joining groups just to keep from feeling lonesome.

I think I qualify to have a number of banners on display, but I don't see any importance in that ... for me or anyone else.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

While I have a banner under my name. I cannot view it or others. They don't display on Tapatalk. Same for the other forum readers. I don't care one way or the other if you have a banner. It's your membership that counts.

In Remembrance
    I do not do banners myself. same with bumper stickers. I once went to Gilleys (ONCE) when I came out I had a Gilleys bumper sticker on my pickup. I went back in inquiring about who was going to get it off. I know I could easily, but I didn't put it on, they were going to remove it. I was told that if I didn't want it, I was suppose to put my left sunvisor down, and I apparently didn't is why they put it on there. GROAN
    They kindly removed it after a little explaining what I thought of their practices. lol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Do all of you get this upset about the HWI, or ACE Hardware, or whatever you have in your area, flyers you get in the mail. Non of you get any other local ads or sales info. Is that also maddening?

How bout those freebe so called papers you likely get every week.

Of course they dont. Those pieces of junk mail don't offend what little conscience they have left.
    I don't know what to say. I'm sick and tired of hearing convincing arguments made by gun owners as to why they refuse to support the only organization that has any effectiveness.
    I could understand it if a man would argue as effectively against liberal gun grabbers, but that's usually not the case. They either mutter under their breath about the efforts of the people fighting for their freedom, or they say nothing.
    Seems the conservative method is now to wait out the opposition because fighting for what you believe is too hard? What gives? I always do what I think is right. I stake my life on it every day. I feel that if I do not have moral high ground, then I have nothing. Why is that wrong? Why would a man voluntarily choose to live another way?
    I do not understand.
    However, I see a lot of other people trying to sweet talk conservative gun owners into making a few good choices to save their own way of life, and for Gods sake, don't offend anyone in the process! I don't see it that way. Davy Crockett said "be sure you're right, then go ahead". Well the only way you can claim the NRA is bad for gun owners and not worth supporting at this time is to dig up anything you can to slander the organization so that you can sleep at night. I say that's wrong. Wrong wrong wrong!!!! I believe someone who does such a thing needs to be put in their place and made to wear the shame they try so despirately to cast off. I believe that is the right thing to do. I call wrong, wrong, and I call right, right.
    I base these ideals on the blatantly obvious facts that are there for anyone to see. You'd have to have a mind the size of a pinhead in order to not see the impending peril or the danger we are in, and not recognize the best chance we have to protect ourselves.
    Do you see the news? Do you see where they are steering the ship? Look back at the history of gun control in this country, and tell me what you think is about to happen.
    It's vital I tell you! VITAL that we quit squabbling amongst ourselves and pull together as one voice. Stop making excuses for why you will not help. Stop minimizing the power of your opinion! Start using your first amendment rights to protect your second amendment rights. If you don't, you will have neither.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 09-02-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Living near Chiraq ANY gun related stickers is an invitation to break into your home or car to get FREE firearms.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Living near Chiraq ANY gun related stickers is an invitation to break into your home or car to get FREE firearms.
    I feel the same way, and go further by not really putting much on my truck that can be used against me in a negative way. We have been asked not to put our unit decals due to force protection issues, I have a US Flag which has "Freedom is not Free" on it, a Denver Broncos logo and a Geocaching Logo and that is it. Well I do have a military license plate which I may change if the threat gets worse. But as MC (CM) stated, I do not advertise much as far as hats and apparel, but do not see putting a banner or two on a gun related site as the same thing. Just like my gun safe is full of weapon related stickers, my toolbox has a few tool company logos etc, I feel having a few banners is just par for the course. I don't feel someone should HAVE to announce their associations, but its not a bad idea either.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~