MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Share something odd you overheard or was told, at a LGS, Shooting range or Gun show.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    AR platforms are the best rifle out their.

My response. Its an OK gun for the cheapest bidder to sell to the military.

They were not happy with me.

Anybody who went to basic knows their a pia to keep clean.
    Yep and they are the premere elephant killer. And they were designed so that the bullet left the mussel flipping end over end so that theys like a buzz saw when they hits ya. I don't even try to explane. Just walk away.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by aarolar View Post
    This is the exact reasons I try to stay out of gun shops...
    Maybe I am just lucky. We have 2 gun shops close by - the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME, (one of the largest gun shops in the North East) and Rennaisance Arms in Gonic NH (a small but well stocked gun shop).
    Both of the places have knowledgeable staff and the customers are as well. I have never heard a stupid remark in either place over all these years.
    I actually worked at the Kittery Trading Post gun department in '74-'78. Other than the guy that brought in a .25 auto to sell or trade, racked the slide to check it, and it went off shooting a hole through the wooden counter top, nothing sticks in my mind as being really stupid.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Best gun show statement I ever heard was all the Argentine Ballester Molina .45 autos were made from the armor plate from the Graf Spee, which was sunk by the British in shallow water off the Uruguay coast.

Boolit Master
    I had an idiot tell me while babbling on about the virtues of glocks, that other semi-autos didn't have a trigger reset. He also said that a glock wouldn't fire if the slide were pushed back out of battery but all the other manufacturers guns would.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Maybe I am just lucky. We have 2 gun shops close by - the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery ME, (one of the largest gun shops in the North East) and Rennaisance Arms in Gonic NH (a small but well stocked gun shop).
    Both of the places have knowledgeable staff and the customers are as well. I have never heard a stupid remark in either place over all these years.
    I actually worked at the Kittery Trading Post gun department in '74-'78. Other than the guy that brought in a .25 auto to sell or trade, racked the slide to check it, and it went off shooting a hole through the wooden counter top, nothing sticks in my mind as being really stupid.
    My wife held her first SW 500 at Kittery several years ago and is still after me to buy her one
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    My neighbor recently told me that , being a "reloader", he keeps no less than 20,000 rds. of 9mm, loaded to 3000fps on hand at all times.

Boolit Grand Master

3000fps 9mm is pretty hot stuff. Sounds like a compressed load

Boolit Grand Master

I had a table at a gun show with a fellow NRA High Power Long Range/ Palma shooter. We were talking about a Palma match (800, 900 and 1,000 yards) we both places well in when this "gentlemen" inserted himself into the conversation. His first question was what power scopes we used? We explained this was an iron sight match. He stated you can't see the target at that far without a scope. He than stated we must be using Nosler Ballistic tips. Next was what caliber? We stated we were using our Palma rifles in 308. He stated BS! a 308 will hit the dirt at 800 yards". I asked him to leave. He stated he knew what he was talking about since he trained with the Navy Seals. He was 28 to 30 years old maybe 5" 10" and close to 400 pounds. I asked him (since he worked with the Seals) how long it took him to learn how to balance the ball on his nose. He said some unkind things about me. I gave him the option of leaving under his own power or to be carried out. He waddled away and complained to the show promoter.

Boolit Buddy
    3000fps 9mm is pretty hot stuff. Sounds like a compressed load
    Probably. He says he uses Winchester 123 powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Had a clerk tell me you're an idiot if you buy a new firearm. I had a new one in my hand at the time as he handed it to me to look over. Owner heard his remark and fired him on the spot. Not necessarily odd and I do somewhat share his sentiment. But that's a stupid thing to say to a customer.

Boolit Master
    Pawn shop favorite, related to me by the friend (victim) that owned it...
    After a long time being displayed prominently, and eventually being marked down several times, my buddy suggested that I NEEDED his light-weight Kevlar T-shirt thingy... I didn't agree.
    He broke down and admitted having something similar in a different shop a few years earlier (his family had several) a couple hours away from here... He had the same problem selling it, in that nobody seemed interested.
    Sooo... One day a new customer eventually showed some curiousity. My buddy immediately jumped in to explain how cool the "bullet-proof" T-shirt was... The customer seemed unsure, even after repeated assurances from my buddy. So my friend (I'll call him "Genius") donned the thing, looked for the smallest thing in his display case (said it was a 25ACP), loaded the gun, handed it to the customer and said, "Shoot me!".
    The customer hesitated... so Genius adamantly insisted to be shot... the T-shirt was, after all, "bullet-proof".
    The customer eventually succumbed to the pressure, and "busted a cap" on my friend.
    Genius said that as he went to the floor, he was screaming for someone to call 911.

The customer dropped the firearm and ran out of the shop, never to be seen again.
    Genius suffered bruised ribs, and spent a little time on his couch "recuperating". The T-shirt had indeed stopped the little bullet from perforating his torso, but my buddy's concept on how things work was drastically changed.

Needless to say, Genius had no interest in repeating the demonstration for my amusement... I miss the guy. He was unique, in a funny sort of way.

Moderator Emeritus

Stopped at the local WalMart, asked if they had any 22lr(they sometimes keep it behind the counter and only sell to those who ask). This 19 year old kid reaches under the counter and pulls out a box of 223... I tell her no, 22lr... she told me that they are both 22 and will work in either rifle... yeah I just turned and walked away before I told her what I thought...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    [QUOTE=M-Tecs;3362360]I had a table at a gun show with a fellow NRA High Power Long Range/ Palma shooter. We were talking about a Palma match (800, 900 and 1,000 yards) we both places well in when this "gentlemen" inserted himself into the conversation. His first question was what power scopes we used? We explained this was an iron sight match. He stated you can't see the target at that far without a scope. He than stated we must be using Nosler Ballistic tips. Next was what caliber? We stated we were using our Palma rifles in 308. He stated BS! a 308 will hit the dirt at 800 yards". I asked him to leave. He stated he knew what he was talking about since he trained with the Navy Seals. He was 28 to 30 years old maybe 5" 10" and close to 400 pounds. I asked him (since he worked with the Seals) how long it took him to learn how to balance the ball on his nose. He said some unkind things about me. I gave him the option of leaving under his own power or to be carried out. He waddled away and complained to the show promoter.[/QUOTE

That reminds me of one at the spring show. He was one of those who go table to table, preaching the Second Amendment and the Constitution. Real in the face about it
    After a few minutes, I told him to get the hell away, and if he wanted to preach, to buy his own table for a pulpit, and to get the hell out if the way of my paying customers. I had paid for that space, not him.
    Last edited by waksupi; 09-01-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fowler View Post
    Best gun show statement I ever heard was all the Argentine Ballester Molina .45 autos were made from the armor plate from the Graf Spee, which was sunk by the British in shallow water off the Uruguay coast.
    I thought I remembered an article in the American Rifleman a year or two ago about that: http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...lester-molina/

They actually did metallurgical tests on a Ballester Molina to investigate that legend.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I thought I remembered an article in the American Rifleman a year or two ago about that: http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...lester-molina/

They actually did metallurgical tests on a Ballester Molina to investigate that legend.
    That one sounds familiar to me too for some reason

I was at my local Academy, and was browsing the gun counter. A customer comes up and asks the guy if he could fire 12 gauge slugs out of a modified choke. Guy tells him yes, but a cylinder bore would better. And if he REALLY wanted accuracy, to shoot sabot slugs, since the ribs on a regular slug wouldn't spin the slug enough! I mosied toward the front of the store, and explained to the customer why the accutips he had in his hand would not work in anything less than a fully rifled barrel. Back to the gun counter. I'm browsing over some of the compact 9mm's, looking for something small for when I really can't pack my full size. Guy starts harping at me over the inadequacies of the 9mm (which I sort of agree, though not to him), and declares to me that I'm an idiot if I would consider carrying anything other than a 45. Reason being that a 45 will knock a man DOWN! I stopped myself from explaining the realities of life to that man, and walked off. Some people....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    And my favorite: if something goes wrong, I'm coming to YOUR HOUSE!
    Your OPSEC was poor.

Boolit Master
    In my younger days I was a furnace and AC installer and repairman. As such, I was in lots of different homes and saw guns of all sorts. It made an interesting conversation starter.

The one that really stuck in my mind was a fellow with a 50/70 trapdoor, model 1868 AIRC. He stated that his great grandpa or some such had carried it in the Civil War. I told him that it could not be the Civil War as it ended in 1865 and the rifle was introduced in 1868, and that it was based on recycled parts from Springfield muskets. This explained the 1864 date on the lockplate.

Even in the face of those facts, he still insisted on the truth of his original statement. He finally surmised that pappy's rifle must have been sent to Springfield for upgrade and returned to him.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Probably. He says he uses Winchester 123 powder.

That would require 24.39grs of Win 123 powder to get 3000fps!!!

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    That would require 24.39grs of Win 123 powder to get 3000fps!!!
    Long drop tube?????? Like Really Long.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!