MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: How do you cast shot?

Boolit Buddy

How do you cast shot?

I have been looking at the Lee #4 shot mold but it don't seem to have very good reviews. Then I read on here somewhere about dropping shot. I can't find that thread now but I was wondering if anyone has done this before? If so how does one do this? What about chilled shot? What makes it so special? Is it important? I've reloaded for shotgun for several years, but got away from it about 15 years ago, a few days ago I traded for another press and to my surprise those little 50 pound bags of lead shot are now full of gold apparently. That stuff has gone way up since I last bought any. So naturally I'm trying to save some cash. Thanks for looking
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

The Lee mold you refer to is #4 Buckshot. I have that mold and it is indeed hard to cast with. Buckshot is typically cast or swaged whereas birdshot is dropped. I'll explain.

You can make serviceable birdshot by pouring lead through a sieve into water. The greater the distance from the sieve to the water the rounder it will be, due to lead's high surface tension. Arsenic will also help shot drop rounder. The big boys drop their shot several stories.

Chilled versus magnum shot refer to different alloys. There may also be different processes involved as well, but there may not.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master
    best to buy it from BPI you will save yourself $1000s

Boolit Master
    God yes it's like gold . I started loading shotgun shells again a few years ago . But when I went to replenish my shot the pice had went from 19.99. To 49.00 per sack .l always got mag shot but now use the soft cheap shot. What a shocker,I don't know about investing in gold and silver but wish I had in lead . But get some and go shooting ,take a little more time between shots and enjoy.

Boolit Master
    The lee buck molds are a royal pain to use, I have the 00 and #4, 4 is harder to use. Very temperamental as to when it will cast decent. And no amount of smoking will get the shot to fall free after a few casts.

I have had really good luck with the sharpshooter USA mold I bought for 0 buck to use in my 16ga. Been meaning to get a #1 for use in 20ga, and an easier to use #4.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    If they are still in business, Littleton used to make one of the best shot makers on the market! It's tedious until you get the hang of it,but once mastered it is ablast to make your own shot! I have had a shot maker since the eighties and probably have made close to a ton of shot since then! Satisfying and very easy to get your investment back by selling a few bags to friends. Google it, you will find all kinds ofvideos there on you tube. Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    the shot makers will not make good shot bigger than 5. Its not a melt and drop thing anyway. the set up will be a pain
    If you cant find the old lead CO wheel you cant make any shot. lead will not work

Well there's a couple of ways, molds like you said but some people drip lead into water to make pellets. The latter can be dangerous/uneven if you aren't experienced with it but I would check out these guys: http://buckshotmold.com/
    I've only heard good things from them, they're only slightly more than a lee mold and have a lot of cavities to make a lot of shot at once.
    I love ugly guns and ugly bullets.

Boolit Master

AND those 50 pound bags you mentioned are only 25 pounds of shot !!!!!
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    AND those 50 pound bags you mentioned are only 25 pounds of shot !!!!!
    Mike

Oh you are exactly correct, my mistake, I don't know what I was thinking. That makes me feel even worse.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Master

I was looking into a Littleton shot maker at one time and then I found a source of reclaimed shot for $25/25lbs 7-9 size I couldn't make it for that.
    If you have lots of time, lots of lead,and like to tinker buy a Littleton shot maker...

BTW my average did not change using reclaimed shot Vs new shot.

Boolit Buddy
    I sell new 7.5, screened tumbled and graphited for $110 for 65 pounds shipped to your door.Pm for more details.

Fox

Boolit Buddy

I made a contraption that I use in conjunction with my LEE 20 lb pot to make a modest amount of usable shot ...see post #33 in this thread . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eed-back/page2

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by crashguy View Post
    I made a contraption that I use in conjunction with my LEE 20 lb pot to make a modest amount of usable shot ...see post #33 in this thread . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eed-back/page2
    What size welding tips are those? I have an ample supply of those but only up to .35

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 3jimbo3 View Post
    What size welding tips are those? I have an ample supply of those but only up to .35
    I got them at Harbor Freight ... they are .025 wire contact tips...

Banned

that's a steal!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    I sell new 7.5, screened tumbled and graphited for $110 for 65 pounds shipped to your door.Pm for more details.

Fox

Boolit Buddy
    to : OP
    casting shot or round balls?? How big do you need??
    We cast .31 or .32 cal balls with a set of molds. I also have a RCE swagger that I want to get dies for to make perfect round, match quality balls. but the process is slow and so far don;t see the need for the "extra' effort unless we begin to shoot Black Powder / cap and ball 30 cal pistols....maybe then it would be worth it.
    DID this in the start for sling shot ammo-