Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 mag loads, H110 powder, 200 gr XPT

Boolit Mold
    so what about reloading 44 special cases with H110 & my 200 gr xtps, i know it may not be the best thing out there, but thats all i have right now & dont have much money to go buy a bunch of brand new stuff, what is a powder load that would work safely? iv been reading up and around 17gr seems to be popular

Moderator Emeritus

If it was me, which it's not, I'd load the absolute top load I could find of H110 with that 200 gr. bullet. Hodgdon's Annual Manual for 2015 lists 28.5 gr. of H110 with the 200 gr. Nosler. Again, if it was me, I wouldn't load less than 28 gr. I had some experience with 296 and 125 gr. bullets. I loaded the max listed load from one manual, and it wasn't enough. The muzzle blast seemed to wrap around the gun and whack me right in the face with each shot. NOT a pleasant experience. The load combo I was using just didn't produce enough pressure for the powder to burn in the barrel, and when it hit the air, it seemed to ignite, with about the same effect as holding a cherry bomb at arm's length and letting it go off. I was told to use more powder and try again, but I just switched powders instead.

If it's all you've got, this is how I'd go about trying it. There's a reason that H110/296 are said to work "best" with heavier bullets and maximum charges, and why we're advised NOT to try reducing loads with it. Some have reported good results, though, so .... ya' never know 'till ya' try. I'd only load up 6 or so at first, though. No point in pushing the envelope, and winding up with loads you can't or don't want to shoot. Good luck.

Boolit Mold
    i think ill do just that, 28.5 gr. load a few & see how it goes, then ill buy some heavy bullets & finish off the powder & then go to something like unique. i have a 7.5" barrel, its a new super blackhawk. I'm not yet very experienced with all this stuff obviously, why is it that a lighter load acts like that with this powder?

Boolit Mold
    & did you mean 28.5 gr. for .44 mag or special? cause I'm loading specials & 28.5 looks like it docent leave room for the bullet to seat all the way

Moderator Emeritus

That was for the .44 mag.

Boolit Mold
    what would you load in a special? 19 gr.?

Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea. I've no data for the Special, and suspect you can't really get enough of that slow burner into a Special case to get decent results. H110/296 really need more "back pressure" from heavy loads and heavy bullets to be at its peak, and it really doesn't like to work at much less than max pressures, so I'd wait and get some other powder, like Unique, 231, Red Dot, Green Dot, or any number of more appropriate and faster burners for the Special. I love my Ruger Flat Top .44 Spec., but I'll NEVER try H110 in it. It's just not prudent, and with powders, you need to realize that each one is DESIGNED to perform within certain perameters, and to use them outside those limits is asking for either trouble, or even worse, bad performance. Keep your powder use within its natural confines, and you'll be a happy camper. Go outside them, and you CAN get into trouble, or at least get very unwanted performance. That's my advice, anyway.

Boolit Mold
    yea, I'm starting to get the idea here, ill take your advice on getting another powder, maybe get some heavier bullets for this powder as not to completely waste it, ill use it in mag reloads as defensive rounds, make as many as i can with that box & just have them around, I'm liking what i hear about titegroup, seems like a fairly versatile powder with many weights of bullets. whats your opinion on titegroup? i like what i hear about unique also

Boolit Buddy
    I like unique for several cartridges. You may have luck finding it at bass pro. For the 200 gr xtp you have there is load data for the 44 special. Starting load of 6.8 and max load of 7.9 should be around 900fps so real easy on the wrist and you can at least use some of what you have with safe published load data. That is the main thing people are getting at here.

Boolit Master

Good luck! I couldn't get a 200 grain bullet to group well out of my Redhawk or Scout.

Like others said, get a good load manual or at least go online to the site of the powder maker. All have good and tested info.

For a milder load, I have had success with 700x and Unique. WW231 is iffy, usually likes a near max load in my weapons to get good groups.

I followed some advice and used 44/40 loading when I was trying to find a 200 grain loading. Got better results than using 44 special loads.

The XTP is a good bullet. I was using casted and Xtreme plated.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Ill just throw in the comment that proper h110 loads in your 7.5" SBH should be pretty managable to shoot. Yeah, they will kick serious azzz on the muzzle end, but not too bad on the shooter's side. That powder is awesome, dont think for a second that you are in a bad spot for your friend giving it to you. It is still a bit like hen's teeth around here, and ive considered paying $30 a pound for it.

Sure, it is best with heavy bullets loaded to the hilt. But lighter bullets like your 200 grain will also do well, when loaded to book levels. No need to scrap that great powder.

Hey: you should get a casting furnace and some moulds! Then you can make any size you want, and become one of us!

Boolit Mold
    i do want to get a casting furnace & molds for my .44 & 7.65 argentine mauser, plus i have numerous muzzleloaders, .50, .45, & .44. iv always wanted too start casting, just never really did it