RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Size Melt

Decent Size Melt

Finally got around to melting down the 80lbs of lead I picked up. I'll have to mix some of it with wheel weights for pistol rounds but now I've got more lead than I know what to do with.
    I love ugly guns and ugly bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    80lbs is just a good start. That's a really nice melt. Ingots look real good. What calibers do you mould for?

I cast mostly .358 but I also cast some .32 for a friend's Nagant revolver, I use a simple 50/50 mix of wheel weight/pure lead with a dash of tin thrown in for my pistol rounds. For the most part I do pretty small batches of casting, maybe 100-150 boolits a go so my 100ish pounds of lead is gonna last me at least the next year.

That's less than 2000, 285 gr 44 mag boolits. You don't have enough or more than you know what to do with, believe me! That's only 98 rounds a year for the next 20 years or one good day of casting.

Ha, I guess I can't argue with the math. I'm definitely not going to resist a good opportunity for lead when it arises, I'm just not pumping out as many rounds as some folks yet.

Boolit Grand Master

That was a good days work but don't quit now. You can shoot your way thru that quicker than you think.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I know what to do with it! Shoot it.

I can go thru 80# in a couple three good daze at the range. Shooting teeny 9mm's or 38's, it will last a little bit, but many of us shoot 300-450+ grain boolits and that stack will go down very fast.

Keep on collecting. You WILL use/need it.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Decent Size Melt

Awwww.....that's a cute little pile you have going. Add a zero the total weight and now we're talking

Moderator Emeritus

Um... There is never enough

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Um... There is never enough
    Amen to that. I cast 9mm to 45lc and .308-314, .440,450,458 and .54cal. 80lbs is just a teaser.

Don't listen to those negative Nelly's they don't seem to understand the math of 80# of ingots on the driveway is 160# of cast boolits. I'm sure it looks much nicer in those ingots than it did before you smelted it down. I had a tire store owner say well I only have half a bucket are you sure you want to bother buying it? I replied I don't mind eating an apple in small bites, it gets eaten and enjoyed all the same.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I'm sure once it cools down here in Texas I'll be able to reload and cast more so my lead use will go up, but for now I've got a good amount of raw material for how much I load and shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Don't listen to those negative Nelly's they don't seem to understand the math of 80# of ingots on the driveway is 160# of cast boolits.
    Someone must have been taught common core math for those figures to make sense.

After looking at the photos something is wrong with those ingots. The "n" is backwards. You should send those to me for evaluation. Nice looking pile of lead there!

Boolit Master

Feels great to turn scrap into pretty ingots, don't it ?? You did well to keep your softer lead separate. Always do that. Wheel weights, soft lead, lino - always keep it separate. You can mix it later, when needed. Great start..
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The math can be right if you do a 50/50 mix of WW bars and Linotype to come up with an alloy close to #2. 80+80=160lbs of #2 alloy or real close to it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    considering that he already stated that he mixed 50/50, perhaps it's reading comprehension rather than Math that is the problem! LOL!!!

KnifeMaker

Boolit Bub
    I only cast .257 right now. That would do just fine for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Aren't the Lyman molds with the reverse N collector items? I have a pair of them.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRangeAir View Post
    considering that he already stated that he mixed 50/50, perhaps it's reading comprehension rather than Math that is the problem! LOL!!!

KnifeMaker
    His 50/50 mix is 50%WW and 50%lead.