RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Press Colors

Boolit Buddy

Reloading Press Colors

Most of the press manufacturers seem to stick with the following colors.

Red - Lee
    Orange - Lyman
    Blue - Dillon
    Green - RCBS
    Black - most of the vintage stuff; Hollywood, Texan, etc.
    Gold - Spolar

I'm thinking of sprucing up one of my Hollywood Universals with either lime green or purple. It would definitely add some pizzaz to an otherwise dull press. How much would it increase in value?
    Last edited by beeser; 08-03-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Banned

I have an old Herters Super Model 9 press, only one I've ever seen and darn few pictures of them on the web. It's a copy of the old Dunbar press. After I got all the crud and rust off it, it turns out the big cast iron base was brown. I'd like it to look original, so I'll probably do that when I get around to it.

Honestly, if the press you're using is current production, I think its value is determined by how good a tool it is, therefore, paint it whatever you like.

Boolit Master

Paint it rainbow and highlight it with mascara.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Paint it rainbow and highlight it with mascara.

You're reading my mind. What color to highlight the letters if the base is lime green?
    Last edited by beeser; 08-03-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    The Forster Co-ax is red, but a dif. color from Lee, very different.

Boolit Buddy

My Pacific 07 (Hornady) is red as well.
    INFIDEL

Paint it whatever color you like. Just remember to post a picture when you get it done.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Feather View Post
    Paint it whatever color you like. Just remember to post a picture when you get it done.
    ..........and be prepared for the comments that follow. You can always defend your choice of color schemes by explaining that, after all, it IS a "Hollywood" press.

EDIT: Someone please tell me he's kidding, right? Right?

Boolit Grand Master

Older Lyman equipment is gray. Seems they all used a crinkle finish back then as well. I hate those finishes because they don't hold up.

Paint it whatever color you want. But expect it's value to drop some. Unless it has it's original patina the collectors won't want it. Now someone who wants to use it will.

Two of my lubesizers have had the original finish removed. I painted the one on the left, I prefer this color. While the one on the right was refinished by a member before I bought it. It's coming off in a lot of places and needs to be redone. But I do like two different colors because I know exactly which lube is in them

You want colorful - can you handle colorful - Flame job! Yeah

maybe something a little more daring
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I'm thinking of sprucing up one of my Hollywood Universals with either lime green or purple. It would definitely add some pizzaz to an otherwise dull press. How much would it increase in value?
    The same amount a rifles value would go up with the same paint job.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The same amount a rifles value would go up with the same paint job.
    I think you're missing the point. All of the current press manufacturers, even some of those of late have an identifying color. My thought is too bring pizzas to an otherwise dull looking machine that had no identifying color other than crinkly black paint. Besides, the crinkly black paint on the cast aluminum Hollywood presses wasn't very good and flaked even with moderate use. I think this would be ideal for my makeover.

bhn22
    It can be whatever you want it to be. I wouldn't expect such an alteration to appeal to a collector, and that would likely be your primary market to sell such an item to. Few people would buy an obsolete thirty year old press because of the new color. It's your press, paint it however you want.

Boolit Grand Master
    Over the last century plus, Lyman took over Ideal, with its black color scheme and went through a couple of shades of orange, they also had grey before going back to orange and even made a couple of presses (the All American and Comet) in a sort of sickly shade of red I guess you could paint any press about any color you want, if you want, but why paint it when you can be using it to load a bunch of neat ammo?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beeser View Post
    I think you're missing the point. All of the current press manufacturers, even some of those of late have an identifying color. My thought is too bring pizzas to an otherwise dull looking machine that had no identifying color other than crinkly black paint. Besides, the crinkly black paint on the cast aluminum Hollywood presses wasn't very good and flaked even with moderate use. I think this would be ideal for my makeover.
    Are you looking for Peperoni, Sausage, or plain cheese Pizzas?

Personally, I would forgo trying for the Pizazz of updated coloring, and restore it to original finish.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Heres the one issue that hasnt been mentioned yet but while each manufacturer has an "identifying color shade" these shades also change slightly over the years as new batches of paint are purchased. SOme of these colors are thought out as to reducing eye strain and fatigue others are just what they are. Greys and greens reduce eye strain alot. Also they are crinkle finished or flat to reduce glare. Think some before jumping in with a bright shiny finish about the hours spent using it. Ran an ID grinder that painters had painted a very bright red and silver after its overhaul. 2 hours into the day on it and I had a headache the flat colors and crinkles in grey or green tones never caused the headaches, ( only the bosses did then) but that machine was rough. I would primer and light sand several coats then a nice flat color or crinkle in basically the original shade.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beeser View Post
    Most of the press manufacturers seem to stick with the following colors.

Red - Lee
    Orange - Lyman
    Blue - Dillon
    Green - RCBS
    Black - most of the vintage stuff; Hollywood, Texan, etc.
    Gold - Spolar

It would DECREASE in value and look hideous.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    It would DECREASE in value and look hideous.
    This...

In Remembrance

I added to the color scheme of all my presses and lubers with solid colored pool table balls on their op handles. Of course green for RCBS, red for Hornady and orange for the Lyman lubers.Robert

Boolit Master
    The value of used reloading equipment seems to be quite low. I'd paint it any color I liked. You didn't buy it for the next owner. You bought it for yourself. So enjoy.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!