RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sad day in my reloading room.

Boolit Master

You guys are making me feel like I wasted my money on Dillon polishers. The original small polisher had the little open frame motor. When it died they made me an offer I couldn't refuse to upgrade it to the same motor they use on the CV-750. The power is astounding compared to the original motor. It will probably last as long as I do. I also have a CV-2000 that I bought used. The motor is a little noisy on it but it is so old the bowl and lid are not the same material that they've been using for a long time. The lid appears to be vacuum formed ABS plastic. No idea how old it is but I can put a LOT of brass in it and it doesn't bog down.

The smaller Dillon has always been whisper quiet unless it has too much brass and not enough media.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I picked up a Lyman 2200 several years ago. It still looks and works like new. I keep it covered when not in use. It has been a solid tool and I would buy another if it craps out.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grasslander View Post
    I have a Vibra Kleen that I bought back in the '80s when I first started reloading. Still chuggin along. ( can't believe the sticker is still on it)
    Made in Denton, TX..
    I remember those, even met the folks that made them.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    the FA one works, but IMO, it's weak. You get what you pay for obviously.

Boolit Bub
    I first used the Lymans I bought from Midway back in the 80's or early 90's. About ten years ago I bought the Frankford Arsenal with the tumbler and bucket. It has quit twice over the years, both times a broken wire to the motor that I finally re-routed. I'd say I've gotten more than I paid for having done over 100,000 cases. I'm always wondering when the bottom will wear through. I also used it to clean up lead shot salvaged from our trap field.

Boolit Grand Master

I feel like I got much more than my money's worth out of my old FA cleaner, just not sure they are the same quality today so I went with the Lyman. The Lyman seems to be a bit smaller and that's consistent with my habits these days. I don't load big batches of ammo anymore, seldom more than 50 rounds of rifle brass or maybe 100 rds of 45 Colt ammo.
    And yes, I'm going to use that same old walnut media. I'm beginning to wonder if it will outlast ME.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    My old FA gave up the fight after about 13 years, not bad for only a 90 day warrenty bought a new Berry's mfg unit , now to see how long it will last

Boolit Master
    I bought a Midway cleaner back in the early '90's .......... a model 2094 I believe. It's probably 2 1/2 times more capacity of the 1200 series.

The motor shook lose on it's mount and I sent it back to Midway and they repaired it and sent it back ..... been shakin' just fine ever since.

Three 44s

Those 'sealed' bearings really aren't. I use elec motor oil on them for the AC fan - just drown the bearing in oil and some seeps in. Lots cheaper than a new $400 motor. Most of the castings don't even have plugged oil holes anymore. Got to get around to lubing the garage door rollers with Gear's AC oil - really neat stuff - Kroil still gets gummy. That AC oil I started using on sprue plate - apply thick with Qtip, wait for it to flow a tad, wipe with paper towel and cast away. No brown gunk like 2 stroke oil.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    if you can get past the price the big Dillon tumbler I bought it so many years ago, is what's right for me as it does a lot of brass. It does a better job faster than either of my Midway or Lyman tumblers and holds about three times as much. A friend of mine has used his so much he actually wore out the tub. He sent it back to Dillon for repair and they said, 'sorry we can't repair it", so they sent him a new one free of charge! Now that's Dillon service.

Boolit Grand Master

Something odd is going on with my new Lyman case cleaner, can't seem to get my media clean so the brass comes out shiny but covered in dust. Ran it with paper towels and that helped for awhile but now its dirty again. Been running the same walnut shell media for well over ten (fifteen?) years, may be time for a change. I'll try to get it clean, if not there's been a bag of new media sitting on the shelf for quite a few years now.

Not sure how old my FA is, but it has cleaned a lot of brass and still running.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Something odd is going on with my new Lyman case cleaner, can't seem to get my media clean so the brass comes out shiny but covered in dust. Ran it with paper towels and that helped for awhile but now its dirty again. Been running the same walnut shell media for well over ten (fifteen?) years, may be time for a change. I'll try to get it clean, if not there's been a bag of new media sitting on the shelf for quite a few years now.
    I don't put a lid on my tumbler and put it outside so the fine dust generated just blows away. I also put a few cap fulls of Nu Finish Car Polish in the tumbler when its running. This will clean and polish the brass much better and a lot faster. in a pinch the walnut media can be cleaned by soaking it in some hot water with a little dish soap then pouring it through a strainer then letting it dry out. Maybe some of this may help?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm pretty sure that was a joke about the media itself being pounded to dust......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    To keep my media clean I add about a tablespoon of mineral spirits with a paper towel torn into about six pieces. The towels come out black and keeps the media clean. I have the large Dillon.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

I started with an FA, which is still going strong. I then bought a used Dillon 2000 for the larger capacity. It is big. The Dillon is quieter than the FA. Never had a problems with either one. I also bought a drum from a RCBS wet tumbler that I got real cheap because a guy replaced his because there was a crack is the end plate of the one I bought. Fixed the crack with epoxy and built a drive for it out of some old conveyor rolls and a motor out of a clothes dryer. I use that one with SS pins and really like the results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I started with an FA, which is still going strong. I then bought a used Dillon 2000 for the larger capacity. It is big. The Dillon is quieter than the FA. Never had a problems with either one. I also bought a drum from a RCBS wet tumbler that I got real cheap because a guy replaced his because there was a crack is the end plate of the one I bought. Fixed the crack with epoxy and built a drive for it out of some old conveyor rolls and a motor out of a clothes dryer. I use that one with SS pins and really like the results.
    What is the RPM on the tumbler? Is the motor a low RPM or did you slow it down with pulleys or a jack shaft? I am thinking about putting a tumbler together and appreciate any advice from someone that had already done one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was a joke about the media itself being pounded to dust......
    Actually, there is a lot of dust that comes off my big Dillon Tumbler. So if you use the lid it all stays in and at some point you end up with dust on the cases not to mention dust in the air and all over my garage when I separate and have to shake. That is the reason my tumbling is now an outside job with the lid off.

As needed I take the walnut media outside and drop pour it from about 3 feet into another catch pan. I do this 4 or 5 times and the breeze takes the dust away and catches the heavier media in the pan. Then back in the tumbler and add new stuff to the level I want.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, all. I think I need to do my tumbling and separating outside. I generally do but have been lazy lately. I don't like to use mineral spirits inside but the paper towels alone are doing a pretty good job. All kidding aside I think the more aggressive action of this machine may be why the media seems to get dirty faster.