Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age and experience = Wisdom NOT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    And as lightman said, "Most accidents are cause by being complacent, getting in a hurry or taking short cuts. If an accident does happen, being prepared usually lessens the severity." This is absolutely true, and for you newbies to casting and loading, keep this post in mind. I know we're all hard pressed for time today, but seeking "shortcuts" and being in too big a hurrry WILL get you one day, FOR SURE, so when you're loading, DO try to slow down and use caution. Being in a hurry is just ONE of the many reasons I don't shoot ammo loaded by others, unless I've known them a long time and very well, and even then, I STILL got "burned" once shooting some loads I'd gotten from a friend who later died young. He was a great guy, but his .308 loads he gave me were hot enough to open primer pockets far enough the primers fell out. This was in my old '03 Spfld, and the action took it in stride and wasn't damaged in the least, but it sure shook me up. I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder in the garden and salvaged the brass. One was aplenty for me! Still miss my friend, though.
    Most accidents are caused by two or more factors, neither of which would have done it on its own. But you might have hit on an exception there. The rifle would probably be undamaged, and if it blew up you would probably be hurt very little or not at all. That isn't just double probably but probably². The worst could happen, and if it didn't there would still be nothing wrong with a normal .30-06 load. There are only a few people in the world whose reloads I would take on trust.

I do cast bare-handed, though. I feel sureness of grip is worth more to me than heavy gloves. Kevlar might be better than leather if I did want some. I cast on a low table though, with practically all of me on a higher level.

Boolit Master

My Grandfather taught me a secret that relates to life in general. "Never cook bacon naked" It works.

I'm a pretty young guy and have only been doing this for a little over a year but I spent a few months reading this site and others before starting considering the dangers involved. I have had other jobs and hobbies though that have been similarly dangerous and can definitely attest to confidence sometimes being a bad thing. A close call or small injury can give you some of that much needed humility and caution.
    I love ugly guns and ugly bullets.

Boolit Master
    Glad I read this.

I got away with casting in short sleeves my last session.

Hey it's summer in Texas.

Boolit Master
    Last casting session I took off my left welding glove to pick up a pencil to poke a small piece of lead out of the sprue hole. When done I pushed the sprue closed with my thumb. Hot metal doesn't look hot. Lesson learned.

Moderator Emeritus

JWT, I could only laugh a rather cynical laugh at your post. That's how I learned to NEVER touch a mold unless it's with a stick or something. I think some of are particularly vulnerable (I know I am) to certain types of mistakes. My vulnerability is stuff like you mention where my mind is on gitting-r-done, and I'll do something like that. Foucs is a good thing, but CAN be carried just a step TOO far! We live and learn ..... at least IF we pay attention.

Boolit Master
    The lessons that hurt are the ones that stick.

I've been lucky (being careful helps) and will now use proper protective gear, including a face mask (before my luck runs out). Thanks for the warning!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Just a follow up. Things have scabbed over nicely. I'll likely have some scars to remind me not to do that again. The two burns on my left leg have pretty much turned into one, about 1 1/2 inches long, the one on my right calf is smaller, maybe 3/4 inch. Oh well, I was always good looking, now I'm rugged too

I had what looked like a surfers wave on my forehead from dipping a wet scoop back into 100 lbs of really hot lead. Now it's, thankfully, maybe 95% better and not too noticeable, at least with a slight tan.

My hand has healed completely, only little scars left. It was maybe luckiest day of my life.

Many years ago I dropped a ingot in the pot with my bare hands. Did not have face mask or anything. Not even classes. Just jeans and cotton shirt. Didn't notice the ingot was wet. Maybe a pound of lead flew out of the pot. That burn in my hand was the only one I got and when I was shaking the lead off I just stood there looking around amazed. I should have been covered with hot lead because there was lead everywhere.. f.e. the nearby wall in my right was covered with lead splashes up to 10 feets..