Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee quick trim

Boolit Master

Lee quick trim

Is there anyone using the Lee quick trim setup yet. I stopped at Titan yesterday and pick up a 357 and 30/30 trim set and was trying out the 357 die. I was using sized and untrimmed new WW brass and I'm not impressed about the "quick trim" aspect. Now I don't know if it was because it was new brass and required some material removal that it was slow rather than a slight trim of material on fired brass. I trimmed to 1.280 and the measured case before trimming were 1.285. When the brass did get to 1.280 it looked pretty nice. I did about 15 cases out of 50 with the Quick Trim and the rest with my Lyman Universal with a carbide cutting head. The Lyman was much faster. It was also hard to tell when the QT had reached the preset length because it still felt like it was cutting where as with the Lyman, there was a definite sound change when it stopped cutting. I will have to shoot up some loads and get some brass to lengthen and retry the QT.
    Last edited by ubetcha; 07-12-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

I want to follow this thread as I am considering the Quick Trim too.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    One of the problems I have had using the Lee trimmer with the preset pilot was that the cases would sometimes rotate out of the case holder. A bit aggravating at times.
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

ubetcha - do you have the Lyman e-zee trim?
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master

I recently bought them, but as yet haven't used them. Watching with interest. Ads always look good.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    ubetcha - do you have the Lyman e-zee trim?
    No I don't have a lyman e-zee trim,but I was just looking at the Lyman web site at it and it looks similar to the Lee set-up only nicer. The shell holder looks like it would work much better than the Lee. At lease from looking at the pictures a anyway. I was always happy with the Lyman Universal for any major trimming but was looking for something that could be used for a quick check after sizing without any setup to be done
    Life NRA member

Thomas Jefferson

My impressions of the Lyman E-ZEE trim were similar to yours. I've been using the Lee equivalent for years with good success and they are finally showing wear and some of the pilots no longer sit square to the cutter. I've read complaints about the pin wearing down but I never experienced that. It's time to replace them, that's why I'm looking at the Quick Trim and the E-ZEE Trim. The hard-stop concept is great and I like the idea the Lyman system is more robust. I have 5 rifles but only one pistol and I don't do things in a hurry at the reloading bench so efficiency is not a player for me.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the Lee trimmers for a few years now and just recently switched to the Lyman E-ZEE trim and like it much better. It's more concentric in its operation and the cases stay put in the shell holder. One thing that I found helps with the Lyman is to expand the case mouth first since some of the shell cases would fit too tight after sizing and the pilots wouldn't go in the case mouth, but after using the expander it's smooth as silk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    I've been using the Lee trimmers for a few years now and just recently switched to the Lyman E-ZEE trim and like it much better. It's more concentric in its operation and the cases stay put in the shell holder. One thing that I found helps with the Lyman is to expand the case mouth first since some of the shell cases would fit too tight after sizing and the pilots wouldn't go in the case mouth, but after using the expander it's smooth as silk.
    Did you also have a problem with the cases rotating out of the Lee shell holders?
    Life NRA member

Thomas Jefferson

I have the deluxe version. Don't use it anymore as it was basically worthless before I even could trim 500 .223 cases with. It chamfered the inside and the outside of the neck good for about 150 cases then it wouldn't do much for the outside of the neck after about 300 cases the inside of the neck showed burrs, so doesn't chamfer anymore after 300 cases. After the first 300 cases the trim length was not consistent and got worse the more it was used after that. It also started trimming longer so I had to remove some material off the plastic adjustment ring but cut length still varied greatly. After every 75 or so cases I pulled the cutter out of the die and cleaned it good. After every 150 the blades were taken out, cleaned and put back in.

So in my experience the deluxe quick trim is garbage. I wanted it to work very much and thought it was a good idea when I first saw it. Lee just didn't do it right. From what I see the problem was the spring loaded spring steel blades that the cutter uses to chamfer AND trim the cases to length, the actual cutter never touched the brass unless it was WAY long. The spring loaded blades were not consistant and got worse as it was used. The plastic adjustment collar was garbage. The trimmer was fairly cheap but you get what you pay for. Swing and a miss by Lee.

Get the attachment for the drill, makes things much quicker

ubetcha - thanks for starting this thread. I ordered the Lyman E-ZEE trim and several pilots today. I like the design and had good success with the Lee equivalent system doing thousands of cases over a decade or two but always wished the Lee system was more robust. Now that those need to be replaced I upgraded (I hope) to the Lyman. When Lee markets a die for 221 Fireball I will likely buy the Quick Trim (non Deluxe). I see Lee sells a 17 Remington Quick Trim Die but no mention if it will work for 221 Fireball.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have the Quick-Trim and all the adaptors LEE makes for it. I really like it. Faster than the lathe-style trimmer I made earlier this year. It is only used for special needs now.

You really do not need the power adaptor. Just a few cranks and you are done. And you get upper body exercise in the process!!!!!! Messing around with a drill on top of your die and press would be VERY awkward from what I can see. Power adaptors work well on horizontal lathe-style trimmer.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    It was a good idea but poorly executed. The plastic length adjuster broke on mine shortly after 50 38 special cases.

I have been using the Lee Quick Trim for about 2000 .223 and 1000 .308 cases and am very happy with it - attached a drill to it and got very consistent results. The brass was all cleaned up and free of case lube (when trying it with lube remainder on it, results were not good, it was messy and inaccurate). If you get it, get the electric hand drill attached, raise the shell all the way up and run the drill on low speed and little pressure until the lock ring does not turn any more.

Boolit Master

I have done 500+ 30-30 cases with great success Consistent lengths and look good.

Try turning the crank 30 times each for 2000 cases. I'm too old for that kind of exercise.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one that did not keep the casing from spinning. Lee changed the design from o-ring to a nylon type insert. I got mine replaced. Only 5 turns of the crank for perfect length every time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    Did you also have a problem with the cases rotating out of the Lee shell holders?
    Oh yeah, it was very annoying. It hasn't happened yet with the Lyman trimmer, I really like it much better. It's faster and easier to use, and I think it trims more squarely due to the fact it isn't wobbling all over the place. I have found on my .38 and my .357 brass it helps to run them through the expander first. Every once in a while if the brass is thicker and you have resized it the pilot fits too tight and won't go in. One last thing too, they don't trim as short as the Lee trimmer. They leave the cases a bit longer. Sorry I'm so slow in responding, I forgot I had made a comment here.

Boolit Master

How are people breaking their Quick Trim??? I've been using mine for about a year now and it still cuts just fine and nothing is worn out yet. I'm confused. I've been thinking of adding the drill bit adapter which says it's for a cordless screw driver.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs