WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do on to others?

Boolit Master
    Runfiverun and I must be long lost brothers. I have been accused of being antisocial, grumpy, loner, etc all my life. I just want to do things for myself and not rely on others.

Here is an interesting observation about boats that I just made this last week. I used to work as a seaplane flight instructor in Michigan but hadn't done that in about 8 years. This past week my old employer needed some help as they were short handed and I agreed to do a seaplane rating for him. The boat traffic was horrendous, especially for mid week. I hadn't seen that many boats except for past holiday weekends. Finding a spot to land on the lakes was difficult with all the water skiers and jet skis flitting all around. It got so bad that my student was obviously flustered and we had to take a break and fly later in the evenings and early morning. When I talked to the pilot examiner about it he said that he has noticed a huge increase in boat traffic over the last two years. I wonder what could have caused such a large increase. My thought is that so many people are not working right now that they have plenty of time to be out on the water. Anyway, you would not believe how many jet skiers try to race seaplanes and get in your way when you are trying to take off.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Took boating safety several years ago. The only reason was to get 15% reduction on boat insurance. Training seemed to be geared more for the PWC for the young folk which is probably a good thing. Years ago, on Clinton lake, I was fishing in plane sight of the DNR office and two jet skiers came flying past me within casting distance. 5 minutes later DNR had them cornered and both received tickets. I spend 99% of my time fishing out of state these days and really enjoy the seclusion and peace and quiet.

Possible future:

Attachment 144354
    Last edited by Powder Burn; 07-12-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Many years ago my brother carried a gas can with his name on it and one day he helped someone and said "pass it on".

Fast forward 10 years and now he is living in another state and runs out of gas.

Believe it or not the guy that stopped to help gave him HIS old gas can back and both had a good laugh about the pass thing.

Years ago while boating down the Illinois river I heard a barge frantically blowing his horn.

Close ahead was a boat dead in the water.

I quickly grabbed a line and scooted over to throw the line and get him out of harms way.

The only thing I ever heard from the idiot was crying about the rope burns he got while I was saving his families lives.

I still wonder if his family could have held their breath while 15 barges and a large tud boat passed over head.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

I interact with boaters all the time in my job and have towed many back to the ramp. In my area at least 90% of boaters would have stopped and offered a hand. I will also say that sometimes it isn't obvious when a boater is in distress. Some troll great distances or float around in the middle of the lake for no good reason.

A very small percentage are real jerks, and I think that percentage is lower than drivers on the road. A certain percentage are just clueless and that happens everywhere.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I have never passed a stranded boater, and I have never been passed when stranded. We are friendly people here in south Louisiana. I can't imagine someone not stopping to assist a stranded boater.

Boolit Grand Master

I swear most people have tunnel vision! They do not see what goes on around them.
    I have towed many boats in for people and do usually get a thank you. Have even repaired their boats if possible.
    I usually turn down help unless there is no way I can do without. Recently I installed new rollers on my boat trailer and when we launched it in a high wind the boat got a little sideways on it. Before I could get it pulled up so I could straighten it 2 young guys ran in to "help". They got it pushed off but the bracket for one roller punched a small hole in the bottom of the aluminum hull that is .090" thick. I used silicone and a screw to fix it and modified the bracket.

Boolit Master
    Darn shame but don't lose faith. In my experience here as a very poor boater (crumby boats) most people knock themselves out to lend a hand. Maybe you just hit the jerk boater pride parade day that day.

Let's see - long run up Texhoma with FIL, ran out of gas. Guy in a ChrisCraft cruiser stopped to tow us in. At the dock, he found his son had pulled the bilge drainplug. Had a blind gal out for a ride on Texhoma, bad storm came up and shear pin broke when I hit an underwater stump - yea, they just cut off the tree tops - Another tow. On Lavon while skiing, an Olds hot rod pad boat had lost power or something, 4 kids on board and she was sinking. My little 60hp barely got it to shore, then the idiot hooked his to his truck and dragged it to the parking lot. Lost an Astro van in Hubbard at the ramp, I was standing on the roof, chest deep waving off a guy who wanted to use the ramp. He was ticked and finally went someplace else. Lots of idiots and self centered people on the water. Funniest one I've heard was FIL's bro. that fired flares near in a lake near Ojia,Ca and expected someone to tow him. He was told that was only valid when at sea. He lost another boat at sea from a fire onboard - he shouldn't have been allowed in boats. We made him toss back a 291/2" Northern at Lake Stockton, keepers had to be 30". FIL had a good laugh about that one.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    If he had wacked it one in the back it suddenly would have been legal.

Works that way on muskies as well and they are good eating broken back or not.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I have just read all the posts. Boating miscreants are just a symptom of an underlying cultural malaise. Translation, jerks are everywhere in most any situation. Read my signature line and hope that it is true.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana shooter View Post
    Well my 71 hour work week just ended and it's time for some R&R. I took my boat out to a local lake for a few hours of bass fishing, launch the boat and make a run to my favorite fishing hole. About 15 min into my run down the lake my overheat buzzer started going off. I turned to see if any water was coming out of my outboard, there wasn't so I shut off the motor. Well, as luck would have it my damn impeller to my water pump sheered the key 10 miles from the ramp, great!!!

I used my trolling motor to start heading back and was flagging down anyone I saw along the way. Funny thing was no one was stopping. 5 hours later my battery died leaving me to paddle the remaining 4 miles or so. Finally, a guy stopped and asked what had happened. When I told him his response was "well that sucks, at least your almost there". He then ran back to the ramp that was now about 1/2-3/4 of a mile away.

The whole 12ish hours that it took me to get back I was thinking about the numerous occasions that I have towed someone back to the ramp. Now I'm only 30 years old and I guess I'm one of a few left that follows the golden rule. Though the last couple hours of my journey my thoughts turned to vengeance (see if I'll ever help anyone again) I know that if given the chance I'll give aid to those in need.
    I in general hate peole and do not put myself in this position without some serious pre planning. People suck..... lesson learned.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

I am sorry that this happened, but I can think of several people (not friends) who I think would do the same thing. Maybe even attempt to make it worse on the stranded person. In time they will be on the other end and realize that it isn't very enjoyable.

Moderator Emeritus

Lake I fished for 30 years most everyone would stop and pull you in. I don't remember how many people I towed back in with my little Alumacraft T-14 with a 10HP Johnson.

I was also a Minnesota River rat and the code on the river was stop no matter what and help. That was a dangerous river to run for newbies and many took out lower units on trees and rocks because they did not go with someone experienced who could read the water. My best tow was an airboat that threw the propeller. Guy insisted I take $100 for getting his $50k toy back to the ramp safely. Tried to turn him down and he finally stuck it in my boat when I wasn't looking. Found it when I lifted my seat back up to head back upriver to where we were camping. I burned an extra 12 gallons of gas that day, it was a good thing I was the gas boat that trip. Everyone else had made it to the island we based off of and I was running behind because of the heavy load. We ended up 6 gallons short coming back but that was an easy tow, friends little 12 foot Craftsman aluminum boat. We usually took 3-4 boats up to camp so we could fish 2 people to a boat once there.