Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a favorite brass in 9mm?

Do you have a favorite brass in 9mm?

I admit that I am a bit of a brassAholic when it comes to my rifles, but for most of my pistols I have been using Winchester brass. I recently obtained a 9mm and have access to quite a bit of once fired brass. Does anyone have a favorite? I am just looking for suggestions and trying to decide if I want to start sorting or not.

Thanks,

Jerry

Moderators - if this is in the wrong section feel free to mover or delete it.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't shoot competition so I don't bother sorting the brass. They get loaded as I pull them out of one of the buckets. Only cases I segregate are ones for SD rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    For me, I've noticed that Blazer brass by far sizes, primes, and seats bullets easier than any other headstamp. FC would come next but it's not anywhere near 100% smooth as butter like Blazer is. IME it's pretty much downhill from there. That being said, I'll load anything. I just make it a point to look at a headstamp when I notice someting different, either good or bad.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I don't shoot competition so I don't bother sorting the brass. They get loaded as I pull them out of one of the buckets. Only cases I segregate are ones for SD rounds.
    Maybe I'm not a serious competitor, but I don't see the point behind sorting brass for competition. They all go through the same sizing die. They all feed/extract/eject reliably so what's the point? I'm talking about 9mm shot quickly at 3-15 yards, not precision rifle.

Boolit Master

I do sort brass by brand ! for the 9mm I keep Winchester , Federal & R&P for my uses and put up a specific load in each brand of brass.
    Most other brands of 9mm are either given to friends or are scrapped.

Boolit Master
    I tend to use FC and WIN since I have the most of those. But I will use anything.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't shoot competition so I'm like some of the others here. I buy "range brass" and don't worry about head stamps. It al works out of my 9mm. I do notice some differences between the head stamps - agree that Blazer sizes and loads like butter but hey, they all load just fine. I buy it as cheap as I can as even though I try to recover my brass, I always loose some. At .02 or .03 cents a casing, it doesn't hurt so much!

Boolit Buddy

I use what ever I am able to scrounge up. I do check head stamps and some load easier than others like Blazer. FC is good too.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Grand Master

I find free is best. Non competitive shooting has less demand than SD, but still doesn't matter to me.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I load and shoot anything, but I do sort by head stamp to separate WCC military and S&B. The WCC has a crimped primer and the S&B has such tight pockets that I swage them also.

Boolit Grand Master

For my revolvers, I sort by headstamp. For my Tokerev and striker fired 9mms I sort by caliber only (oh, and I toss aluminum and strange headstamps. I inspect, but don't sort 9mm). And like mold maker, Free is best...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I have been picking up 9mm brass for the better part of 15 years and just recently moved from reloading only 50 rounds a year for a conversion barrel on my CZ-52 on the single stage press to setting up my Loadmaster progressive since I got a mihec mold now and a 9mm EAA witness. I don't sort but it does seem like I wasn't watching for .380 when I did the caliber sort initially.
    My firearms project blog

I have used all brands of brass, and lately have settled on Star-lines (*_*) brass where ever I could. The price is right, good customer service when ordering, so far no problems.

HGS

Boolit Buddy
    Best is Federal. Blazer is good.
    worst: easy, Herter's.
    BUT I'll shoot anything. I guess free is best!
    bill boy

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If it is not split or damaged............I SHOOT 'EM ALL!

Makes absolutely no difference to me in those little silly things. I shoot anything I find on the ground at the range.

Accurate larger cases and rifles is where I sort brass by head stamp. Not in little 9's.
    banger

Boolit Buddy
    i only shot FREE 9mm brass

Boolit Master
    I have not found one manufacture's brass that stands out from the rest in accuracy, but I have found the OAL of the case to make a difference in accuracy, especially on the straight wall cases like 9 mm & 45 ACP that headspace off the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    I just started loading cast,but I am trying to stuff a fat little .358 9mm in my guns.so I am using rem brass it seems a little thinner.I think win last longer .

Boolit Master
    Imi/tzz

Thanks for the replies. I will go through them and see what I have. Next step is to wash 8 gallons of brass.

Jerry