WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .5 grains over maximum is it safe?

It is hard to believe that you have reloaded for years and own neither a scale nor a powder dispenser. Before doing any more reloading, drop what you are doing and go get one of each.

Not even gonna answer your question. Not being rude, just trying to set you up for success through knowing what you are actually putting into your rounds. The dipper volumes presented in the Lee manual mean DIDDLY to actual charge weights, in my experience. They weight out both higher and lower than indicated.

Boolit Buddy
    No!
    Horace

Boolit Bub
    Sorry to pile on... But, I hope this helps to keep you safely enjoying reloading.
    Never start at a max published load.
    Be careful when close to max load... Rework up if any components are changed.
    Never ever start above max published loads.
    Always use a scale to (at a minimum) verify thrown charges.
    At max loads consider weighing each charge.

Also, dippers can be modified or made with modified spent shells...
    My experience with dippers is that they get me in the ball park so I can trickle to my desired charge... And that the published weights for a dipper are at best "kinda close"... Not good enough for near max loads...

Now for black powder... A different discussion entirely...

Can we just start calling you lefty now?

Boolit Master

While it is true that some of our loading information has been tempered by a lawyer somewhere, I would not knowingly go over maximum charge listed in a trusted source of information. The powder manufacturers have spent untold thousands of dollars in time and on measurement equipment prior to publishing their loading information. I don't think my meager equipment or my gut feel is worth contesting their laboratory results or their ballistic statisticians. Especially if my equipment is a set of Lee dippers. BTW I use my dippers a lot but I almost always verify each charge scooped with my digital scale. In short No it is not safe and don't do it. Start at the low end of the scale and be easy on yourself and your gun. I'll wager the load will do what you need it to do.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

I have known at least 4 people who have hurt themselves, lost fingers or have been blinded with this loading practices.
    Don't do it.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I don't think a dipper of the correct size is intrinsically any more dangerous than a rotary measure. It is unlikely to be quite as accurate, and certainly won't actually cut individual grains as some measures will. But dangerous overloads, such as can be produced by an extra movement or part-movement of the measure handle, can't happen.

Moderator Emeritus

Dangerous overloads can happen by picking up the wrong dipper. Start with a good scale.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    its been many times stated that NO firearm ever shoots to its best potential by loading to the max or exceeding max.

too dangerous ...not worth it....costly...not accurate ....what good is missing your target at 2 times the speed of sound?

Max loads are not safe unless tested and proven so in an individual handgun. That is why we work up to max loads. If max loads are not safe, then .5 grains over max certainly would not be.

Don't do it! Certainly not for the sake of a cheap plastic dipper.

If you don't have a powder scale, stop reloading until you do.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but have you weighed what your dipper is dipping? I started loading .40 S&W with the Lee Dippers and then switched to a Lee a Perfect Powder Measure. The dipper was higher than what the CC to GN conversion should have been, not by much.

Boolit Buddy
    It is difficult with some cartridges to know for sure what "Maximum" should be. If you go by the standard manuals for .44 Special for example you find one set of SAAMI approved values for the recommended loads. We find however that the long-used "Skeeter" load is considerably above the SAAMI maximum, yet it has a reputation for being a safe load. Should we stick with the lower loads in this case? I cannot answer.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why even ask? Max loads are there for a reason!!!!!!

"Shim" your dipper, or get a good powder measure and throw those stupid plastic spoons away.

When I got into uber-light loads I made several custom dippers out of 22LR cases cut to different lengths with brass welding rod silver soldered on the side. Works GREAT! Have several for every powder I use.

You can do the same thing for odd "MAX" loads with the appropriate brass case.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    "It is hard to believe that you have reloaded for years and own neither a scale nor a powder dispenser. Before doing any more reloading, drop what you are doing and go get one of each." DrCaveman

With Titegroup you want to go over max--16.6%! And without weighing! Your original question posted in jest? ----Yes, load it, and use the insurance money paid for lost fingers, etc to purchase a powder scale. (And that last sentence is a joke. Not meant to be nasty.)

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    +1 to what longbow said.

Instead of sanding your dipper and ruining it . . . put the cardboard spacers in the bottom until it dips the correct charge. As you already know . . . "being consistent" with the dipper . . . doing it the same way each time . . is everything. I sometimes use the dippers but I have found that what the Lee chart says and what I actually come up with can vary. (I check often with a scale).

Another alternative is if you are going to be loading you .380 and can finalize your charge once you work it up, make a dipper out of a .22 rimfire casing. I keep a supply of brass on hand just for making dippers. 22 LR, .25 ACP, .32 ACP, etc. make excellent dippers. Either solder a handle on to them or on the ACP casings, wrap a wire tightly around the ejector groove for a handle. If you don't want to file the casing . . . glue in cardboard cut out with a casing until it throws the correct charge.

I push the dipper into the powder (pour a quantity into a tupperware container) and then raise up and stick off on a piece of brass rod that I place in two holes that i've drilled in the sides of the tupperware for the rod to slide in to so that it is easy to strike off the charge. I practice each time . . . measure and strike then weigh. Even being consistent, I find that I can be off a tenth of a grain or so . . . but I never load near max so I'm still within the range between Minimum and Maximum.

Boolit Grand Master

Unanimity is so rare. I'm glad to see it here.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    What is it about MAXIMUM, that you DON'T understand or grasp the concept of?
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Banned

TITEGROUP COMPRESSED IN A SMALL CASE==== BOMB.
    period.

I blew up a 9mm handgun [on purpose] with 4 grs of the stuff, that's a slightly larger case than your using.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    hummmmmmm........no word back from the OP......post and run?

Mabe he blew himself up!?!?!?!?!?!?

After all the sage advise here, we would hope not!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    hummmmmmm........no word back from the OP......post and run?

Mabe he blew himself up!?!?!?!?!?!?

After all the sage advise here, we would hope not!

banger
    I would hope not. There is knowledge to be gained. I think that we are just concerned and we (as a whole) are often very hard on inadvisable practices.