Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Humidity Proof DT

Humidity Proof DT

Humidity has been in the 70 to 80% range a lot lately. I have DT'd about 400 casts lately with no coverage issues. Here is a video of my process in hopes that it will help others with their swirling issues.

https://youtu.be/pOo5F5AWPt8

My theory is that swirling this way creates a greater static charge and doesn't allow the PC to settle at the bottom of the bowl.

Every PC bowl that I have, has a lot of extra powder in it. I can swirl bullets without adding powder to my bowls and get good coverage. Here is the result from the video:

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master

Good informative video, thanks.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

That is what I do now, after having problem holding it against my vibrator tumbler. Thanks for the video.

Regis

1911KY, going to try that. Thanks.

Thanks!

Just make sure you press in firmly on the lid...it ain't pretty when it breaks lose! If the first shake doesn't coat well, do it a second time and it should cover them really well.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master

I use some screw on lidded #5 containers I found at the store--so far no pixie dust in the air
    I've tumbled them while is was pouring down rain. I was under a shelter in front of the garage and had no problems.
    For me humidity hasn't been an issue
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Humidity has been NO problem since I have been doing mine in a vibratory brass tumbler that I was no longer using. Lyman's Turbo with their smallest bowl. Sometimes the powder gets too think on them and does the little puddle around the bases, but reducing the powder paint content in the bowl helped that. Good video, thanks!

prs

Boolit Master

I did the swirl swirl both sideways and flat and of course the shack a few times. Humidity was 70% so you tell good or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blueboolitswhitebackground.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	142852

EDIT that didn't work worth a hoot.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    Good video! I noticed the color was just almost black looking. Anybody else have good luck using a tumbling method using this color?

Ebner

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Gloss blacks will tumble very well, even for me on a good day. (I just don't have "the touch" usually)
    I believe that matte black resists all tumbling efforts though.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Vendor Sponsor

Beagle333 I have tried several different Matte Black MFG and so far have not found one that will tumble coat.. Gloss (jet) black tumbles just fine
    I think most of the reported hi humity tumble problems stem either from not shaking hard enough, wrong containers, wrong BB's or old bullets that have developed a surface oxidation/contamination (may not be visable with the naked eye) clean those in acetone and that problem seems to go away
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Beagle333 I have tried several different Matte Black MFG and so far have not found one that will tumble coat.. Gloss (jet) black tumbles just fine
    I think most of the reported hi humity tumble problems stem either from not shaking hard enough, wrong containers, wrong BB's or old bullets that have developed a surface oxidation/contamination (may not be visable with the naked eye) clean those in acetone and that problem seems to go away
    Shacking hard enough was my problem. Humidity was in the 70 yesterday and I got perfict coating by shacking the dickens out of the container. 200 of those boolits had been cast last year but keep in a sealed container. So happy now I could sing, probably a good thing you can't hear over the internet.
    Lead bullets Matter

Vendor Sponsor

Great to hear 62chevy .. you are on your way now ...

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The matting agent in the flat powders kills the minute amount of static we generate in the bowls. Just like graphite or moly kills static!

If you want black boolits you will either have to use some of Smoke's great gloss black or get an ESPC gun for matte finish powders. They go on great with ESPC!

banger

Boolit Bub
    I did pretty much the same thing as the original poster, last night... my first powder coating experience ever. I was powder coating 38/357 hollow points and 40S&W hollow points from Erik Ohlen's modified Lee 2 cavity molds, using Harbor Freight Red, black airsoft bb's, and the same kind of plastic container the OP used. Worked great!

Our humidity here has been pretty high, in fact we've been having flooding in this area, rain every danged day, and the driveway got partially washed out Thursday night. Friday night... tumble coating with no trouble.

So you guys in high humidity areas, don't be afraid to give it a try. I live 6 miles from the Mississippi river, 2 creeks join at the corner of the property about 60 yards from where I was powder coating last night, the skeeters are big enough to scare the birds, and we've got way too much humidity - But this method still worked for me, as a first timer newbie to doing Powder coating in the first place.

I also had more bb's and more bullets in the container, and did bigger batches than the original poster did in his demo. Maybe 100 40S&W or 150 38/357 at a time. Worked fine.

I did notice my bullets on top were coated better than those still in the bottom of the container for some reason, but that's easily corrected with a really quick re-swirl and shake after picking out all those on top that were very well covered with powder.
    There is no reason I can see to be bashful about giving this a try, gentlemen.

Vendor Sponsor

I did notice my bullets on top were coated better than those still in the bottom of the container for some reason, but that's easily corrected with a really quick re-swirl and shake after picking out all those on top that were very well covered with powder.
    There is no reason I can see to be bashful about giving this a try, gentlemen.

yes You hit the nail on the head if not coated well close the top and shake some more .. It will get there

Boolit Master

I have two kinds of black from Prismatic Powders, Satin and Ink Black. Both tumble quite well and give great coverage. Lately, I have been mixing the two 50/50 and it is still glossy just doesn't look as wet. I measure the number of boolits and the amount of powder I put in the bowl to get a repeatable thickness. Great results
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    I think you will find if you stay with high gloss solid colors you and get a good one coat coverage. I personally use my modified tumbler to coat three to four hundred pistol bullets at a time. Then cook three batches at the same time.
    Attachment 144054Attachment 144057Attachment 144058

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    yes the gloss black and blue you sent me to replace the flat black works great. Still not sure why that flat black will not work !!! also 100% on the cleaning. I drop my from mold to water to quench, then shake and bake. If I let them set for a little while I will use automotive paint pre cleaner, as some of them will not take the powder. I think it may be from oil on my fingers, but I just let all mine soak in pre cleaner now then air dry or towel dry if I am in a hurry. I have not had any issue with them since no matter what the weather.