RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Paper patch in 7.62X54

Boolit Master

Paper patch in 7.62X54

I have been working the Lee 312-180 and the TL-160 in a 91/30. The boolits are sized to .308, wraped with tracing paper to .314 and lubed with LLA. I have been using 44-45-46 gr of Win 760 with a half grain of dacron. The boolit is seated to the base of the neck. I believe the 180 does best but the 160 is not far behind. Groups are running 2 1/4- 2 1/2 in at 100 yds with 5 shots. I do get an ocasional flyer but with the trigger pull and open sights I am lucky not to have more. Velocity is about 2400 fps with the 180 and 45 grs of 760. I have shot a few smaller groups with J-words in this rifle but not by much.

All the best groups were using gas checks. I tried some loads without them but got patterns instead of groups. Has anyone tried putting a cardboard disk on the base of the boolit and rolling the paper patch over it. If I have the right size punch I might give it a try.

beemer

Banned

you are using both a g/c and pp?
    if i had to use a g/c with pp i would forget the extra step here.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I only ever substituted a card disc for a GC on a non patched lead bullet, sitting on a caseful of powder, and the grouping went away and leading showed up. BvT.
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT