Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .327 for deer

In Remembrance

LEE C309-113-F as-cast shoots fine from my .303 Brits........cheap mold for you to try when you get a Round Tuit.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Getting a little off topic but... sounds like the 327 Federal is, more or less, a rimmed version of the 30 Carbine. How many deer have been killed with a 30 Carbine? Probably plenty so can't see why the 327 would be any "less lethal".

Banned

.44 mag to start! I am afraid you will lose most deer shot with the .32

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting a 140 gr. cast HP from my 8 shot 327 Blackhawk & I would not pass on a shot for deer with it at handgun distance. Mine is from a Miha mould with a very long shank & I'm quite sure it would give me a complete pass through on broadside shots. My load with H110 shoots very flat for a 32 caliber eight gun! Bullet placement will get you there.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I'm shooting a 140 gr. cast HP from my 8 shot 327 Blackhawk & I would not pass on a shot for deer with it at handgun distance. Mine is from a Miha mould with a very long shank & I'm quite sure it would give me a complete pass through on broadside shots. My load with H110 shoots very flat for a 32 caliber eight gun! Bullet placement will get you there.

Dick
    If any boolit load would do it on deer, that one would. A .32 boolit in that weight at good velocity should get-er-done.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post

Dick
    Wait... your name is sixshot, but you're posting about your eight shot revolver, in a thread about the OP's seven shot revolver.

What has the world come to!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Wait... your name is sixshot, but you're posting about your eight shot revolver, in a thread about the OP's seven shot revolver.

What has the world come to!
    GOOD ONE, need more shots!
    Don't believe the hoopla of shot "placement" or penetration only. The revolver is sure not a rifle.
    So many sad results from .357's on deer but of course you will get opinions but I stay away from them in revolvers for my hunting.
    The point is never if you can kill a deer, it is if you recover it and kill it fast. Plant the little boolit on the spine and see if it goes through.
    It is getting like hearing about a "wondernine." Yellow brick road. A false wizard at the end.

Boolit Master
    Well I'm looking forward to hearing your range results after you get back today.

From all the data I've read (don't have a chronograph myself) it seems like bullet weight costs very little in terms of velocity for this caliber in particular for some reason. I think it's because the limiting factor is so often just the amount of powder present rather than the pressure itself.

Boolit Mold
    44man,
    I do appreciate your input but again like I said originally, no need for opinions on whether or not I should use this cartridge. I am. I just thought some folks would like to hear about it and see some of my findings. Looks like a great day to hit the range! High of 75 and low wind. Can't wait to see some numbers!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 327ballistician View Post
    44man,
    I do appreciate your input but again like I said originally, no need for opinions on whether or not I should use this cartridge. I am. I just thought some folks would like to hear about it and see some of my findings. Looks like a great day to hit the range! High of 75 and low wind. Can't wait to see some numbers!
    Only your results on deer matter. THAT is what I want to see.
    Being a dedicated and confirmed revolver hunter I know what they do. It is up to you now. Do you REALLY want to shoot a deer with it? Is it a stunt?

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Getting a little off topic but... sounds like the 327 Federal is, more or less, a rimmed version of the 30 Carbine.
    Only if the 327 is fired from a rifle would it get close to the 30 Carbine soft point (1900 FPS with a 110 grain bullet). Its a handgun with the performance of the standard 32-20 fired from a rifle that in its day was advertised as a deer round. Anyway, it would not be a beginners handgun round for deer but with careful shot placement, should work. I wouldn't use it because the few times I did bag a deer with a handgun, they were not ideal situations and I was using a 44 magnum.

I'm interested in the results too

Boolit Master
    Your 327 is very similar to my 32-20 Contender in its ballistics. I did terminal ballistics tests on my 32/20 some years back with the Lee 113 gr RF-GC at an MV of 1400 FPS (9.4 gr of 2400). The media was soaked compressed phone books. At 30 yards I got 15+" of penetration with good expansion with my alloy. This is certainly good enough to do the job on a deer under 120 pounds but I would want to be very accurate with the shot. Since I muzzle load for deer I can't give you info on that but that load is superbly accurate and deadly in my T/C on coyotes out to 150 yards (more if you use a scope).

Boolit Master
    I keep checking back looking for a range report.

Patient guy, aren't I?

I think I'm going to run by the indoor range after work today and try some light loads in my 327.

Boolit Mold
    Well the range time went really well yesterday with some very surprising results to say the least. Sorry I didn't get any numbers posted yesterday as I was up til 0100, looking for my GF's dog, that decided to run away while we were at the range. I will crunch numbers and get them posted after work today.

44man,
    no stunt here. I (and this is my personal opinion) feel that my cartridge choice is fully sufficient for my intended purpose. I'm not looking to impress anyone, or prove anything. I will not go out deer hunting with a .25ACP just to say I can, or because it's legal. I hope I don't in any way come across as being offended or being anything but pleasant towards you. So much is lost in text without tone of voice and facial expressions. Again, I do really appreciate ALL of the input and responses from everyone.

Boolit Mold
    A teaser for you guys...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	142428Click image for larger version. 

Views:	53 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	142429Click image for larger version. 

Views:	53 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	142430

Boolit Master

it will definately do the job. if it were me, my criteria for deer with a 327fed would be a maximum 25yd shot with very good placement! choose your shot carefully, and have fun.

Moderator Emeritus

See about the legality of firing into roadkill where you live. Look for through and through penetration, don't bother to autopsy. Failing that see about picking up some pork or beef bones from the butcher and see what happens after shooting through a shoulder of thigh bone. I think a heavy bullet will do fine something at least 115 gr heavy if you pick your shot.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I had an unfortunate incident where I had to dispatch my horse. American eagle 85 grain, factory. About four feet away, penetrated the skull (forehead), proceeded through the skull and exited the neck about ten inches short of the chest. I didn't bother to do an autopsy, just noticed bleeding from two sights. Based on my experience, I think up to fifty yards you certainly ought to be able to wreck a deer especially if you go with a heavier bullet. Don't try anything fancy. Go for the lungs and wear some good shoes for walking. You'll be just fine
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

I have loaded the NOE 115 gr gas checked on top of 10 gr of H110 in the .32 H&R case. Plenty accurate at 25 yds and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one of our small Texas deer through the ribs at that range. My son dispatched a wounded 250 lb boar with a headshot from his .32 mag last year. He was shooting a 90 gr Seirra hp over a max load of lilgun his Grandpa made for him. Just a quiver and the boar was done.

I think you are on the right track for success with the .327.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"