Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Lyman noob here, need handles

Boolit Man

Lyman noob here, need handles

Just scored a Lyman 225450, and on the old cardboard box it came in it says it needs small handles. Lyman handles are $40 or so. Lee molds with handles are $20... This is the first non-Lee mold I've got. Are there any other handle options? I read something about Kroiling it, so I'll try that. I know I have to get it mad hot before it'll drop something other than raisins, and that's about all I know. My last attempt at 22 casting was with the Lee Bator mold, got some pretty wrinkly boolits flying through paper sideways. Hoping this one goes better. Any other pointers would be awesome.

Wash your mold with soap and hot water to get rid of the manufacturing oils, scrub it good with an old toothbrush. I sometimes just wipe it down good with 90%+ alcohol. Dry it off and heat it up on a hot plate to 450*F or so and start casting. If you do get raisin boolits keep it going until it stops. It sometimes takes 200 boolits to further rid the mold of the oils. While casting keep the rhythm going to keep the mold hot. Oils in the mold and cold molds are the cause wrinkly boolits. It's frustrating at times but, after 3 casting cycles sometimes they just start casting beautiful boolits.

You're on your own with the handles. Sometimes they come with used molds and are cheaper to get that way. They're interchangeable between molds so, one set can be used for multiple molds. They're durable and a used set is as good as new ones most times.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Keep track on flea bay - they seem to go for anywhere from $20 - $25 on there depending on who is looking and bidding. Sometimes you can snag a pair cheaper but they seem to be "in demand" most of the time.

As Yodogsandman says, you can sometimes snag a pair with a mold on them at less than just the handles - if the mod blocks are not what you need, you can always list on this site in the WTS section and recover some of you cost. Basically - 2 sizes - small for single cavities and large for double or large single cavities - example - I have a 517-213 Minie Ball mold that is single cavity but takes large handles.

Another option is to go to the WTS section and at the top of the forum is a WTB (want to buy) section. Post a WTB post for a set - someone on here may by well have a set of small handles they'd be willing to part with.

Good luck and enjoy. I have used Ideal/Lyman blocks (as well as others) for 50+ years and they work well. I did a little "organization . . . or I should say RE-organization of my molds yesterday - I think I counted up about 38 Ideal/Lyman mold blocks that I've accumulated.

Boolit Man
    It's a used mold, think they quit making it some time ago, and there was a little bit of rust in the cavity, but the rest of it was clean. I covered the whole thing in Kroil and put it back in the little paper wrapper it came in to keep it safe.

As for the handles, I thought I had read around the web that some company's handles could work on other company's molds, but as a boolit bub it's all a little new to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDoubleJ View Post
    As for the handles, I thought I had read around the web that some company's handles could work on other company's molds,....

And you'd be right!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hange-Use-list
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I use Lee handles on my Lyman 2cav molds. They look a little with the tiny block on big handles but they work fine.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS handles work on Lyman moulds, the new Lyman handles are way better than the older ones, I have broken all my Lyman handles they are made of cheap cast metal, the new handles look a lot like the SAECO handles if they are as well made they will last a long time, I've had my SAECO over 20 years
    still as good as new, Robert.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Lee 6 bangers work on all the other ones I have tried. For $12, you cannot go wrong, even if you have to grind a bit down.

Is it a double or single cavity? I have a single cavity, and I have to keep it HOT to cast right. Those are itty bitty bullets. Run it how and run it fast.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Man
    Thanks all, Lee handles it is.

It's a single cavity, it's like a six sided die with a sprue plate in size.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 6 cavity handles fit Lyman 1 and 2 cavity mould blocks. No modifications required. I would buy two sets of Lee's handles every time I ordered from Midway($12.99), now almost every Lyman mould I own has it's own , attached , handle. Single and double cavity Lee moulds spoiled me , I really enjoyed them having their own handles and when I read here the $12.99 Lee handles would fit, that made me Happy-Happy!
    Gary