Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubricity of Powder Coat

Lubricity of Powder Coat

Did a quick search and nothing appreared. For those of you that ' ve been shooting this, does the PC actually provided any lubricity to the barrel or just keep the lead contained so as not to allow cutting by gases? Seems to me something flying down a barrel would harm the metal UNLESS the PC is "softer" than the barrel steel?

Boolit Master
    It's definitely softer than the barrel steel.

Pressures are lower with PC than with naked lead, so isn't that indicative of technical "lubricity?"

Boolit Master

Try to hold on to the slippery little bombs, you'll understand their "lubricity" pretty quickly.

See I didn't know the pressures were lower and I've never held one of the buggers. Will be "lubing" my first ever cast bullet this weekend and decided to start with PC from the getgo. Thanks guys.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Try to hold on to the slippery little bombs, you'll understand their "lubricity" pretty quickly.
    Can be like trying to chase a little bar of soap around!

Very slick! They go thru the push thru sizer like butter.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

I did the same as you and just went straight to PC. It's so much cleaner and easier to deal with IMHO.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Banned

remember that P/C boolits still have to follow the same rules as cast boolits do.
    the P/C is not a cure-all Band-Aid.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone measured these pressures?
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    It's definitely softer than the barrel steel.

Pressures are lower with PC than with naked lead, so isn't that indicative of technical "lubricity?"

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    remember that P/C boolits still have to follow the same rules as cast boolits do.
    the P/C is not a cure-all Band-Aid.
    So it would seem then those that powder coat should still be applying normal lube after the PC, but I haven't found reference to that here. Have I missed it?

To me applying normal lube after defeats the purpose of using PC. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so I know I can't be the first to ask this question.

Quote Originally Posted by AggiePharmD View Post
    So it would seem then those that powder coat should still be applying normal lube after the PC, but I haven't found reference to that here. Have I missed it?

To me applying normal lube after defeats the purpose of using PC. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so I know I can't be the first to ask this question.
    I believe he's referring to bore fit(throat fit also). Even with PC, fit is king.

Well yes I'd agree with that. I interpreted the comment as a lubing requirement but after rereading by original post, I can see where this issue could come up as I spoke of gas cutting the boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    I believe he's referring to bore fit(throat fit also). Even with PC, fit is king.
    That's what I assumed he meant. I wonder about lead hardness, though. With the right fit, I don't think you can get leading with properly PC boolits regardless of hardness (can you?). Does hardness still factor into accuracy though?

This is all probably a way over-simplification, and I apologize in advance for muddying the discussion.

Boolit Master
    The way I have come to look at it is that PC can give you a lot more leeway.

You are less likely to get leading with imperfectly fit bullets. You are less likely to get leading with an inappropriate alloy for the velocity of your loads. It's still possible, but I think it's a bit more forgiving. Where it is less forgiving is in chambering; some bullet designs don't chamber easily when coated in the throats of some firearms.

Hardness does still factor into accuracy.

Banned

I think Dilly pretty much covered it.
    in the alternate coatings section there is some good information on what will help accuracy and the methods used to coat your boolits which will help.
    [it pretty much involves a spray gun and sizing dies]

Boolit Master
    " Where it is less forgiving is in chambering; some bullet designs don't chamber easily when coated in the throats of some firearms."

If any of you have loaded PC for a desert eagle you find this out in a hurry. The bullets have to be seated deeper than the normal OAL to chamber properly. A lesson that was quickly learned here.

Ebner

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You DO NOT need grease lube with PC. Some have used it but it is not needed from the tons of messign around I have done.

PC is extremely slick. It protects the barrel and prevents leading. The (guestimates from several sources) hardness is around 40 Bhn.

Just coat, load, and shoot for bore-cleaning-free fun! I generally need only 2 patches after several hundred rounds thru a gun.

Best advice I have for anyone interested in PC is.............quit reading about doing it........and just do it! All your questions will be answered right in your hands.

bangerjim

Found some stray 38 WCs around I plan to PC. May even wind up casting those.

I have been having excellent results using coated bullets. I was an unbeliever at first, but have been converted.
    It's bullet, not "boolit"
    SASS Regulator
    2016 SASS Eastern Division FCGF Champion
    '15 '16 PA St SASS GF Champion

I agree with bangerjim 100% Just Do IT [Best advice I have for anyone interested in PC is.............quit reading about doing it........and just do it! All your questions will be answered right in your hands. ]
    T.L.