Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: copper heads are out!

Got to try out my Heritage Rough Riders 22mag cylinder last week. Big 'copperhead' sunning itself on the dirt road just down from my place. Thought it was already hit but when I ran over it with car it twisted around and curled up.
    Pulled off the road, grabbed the pistol, and went to take a look. Keep first two cylinders w/ snake shot.
    Drew bead on its head and....snap....nothing. Dang manual safeties on a SA.
    So as its slithering off I unload and it winds up dead. (Now carrying 3 cylinder w/ shot.)
    Next day checked on it and hold up to examine. Oops...pointed tail, not blunt, still looked like a copperhead otherwise. Father-in-law driving by said it looked close enough for him. T
    old later it may have been a cow snake. I said that it was the snake's fault then for looking so much like a copperhead.
    I don't mind snakes if I know they are there but after killing a copperhead within about 10ft of where my daughter was playing a few years ago I am inclined to shoot first if it looks like another. Got that one with a hoe I was using at the time.

Be safe out there fellas.

Dave

Boolit Master
    I'm up set with you people, I"V been to Springfield, Illinois AND Chicago, Illinois and I never seen any thing crawling that was a snake.... people told me they were there...HMmmnnnnnnn...?

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    The Illinois D N R has decided to repopulate the Massasauga rattle snake in many undisclosed locations.

For more info go here.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/OI/Docum...Massasauga.pdf
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    You can be thrilled all you want. People will do what they want with vermin, and not have a second thought.
    luvtn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    The Illinois D N R has decided to repopulate the Massasauga rattle snake in many undisclosed locations.

For more info go here.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/OI/Docum...Massasauga.pdf
    I though all of the rattlers were in Springfield? Oh well, maybe they would be best served if they let them go all over Chicago.

Boolit Master

around here all the rattlers that rattled got shot so its been bred into them NOT to rattle, you can walk right up on one and they won't make a sound.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sorry, the only benefit to a poisonous snake is the hat bands and belts that can be made with them. It's kinda like Poison Ivy. You can leave it alone, or get rid of it, but you can't coexist with it .

I love statistics. The Uni. Of Florida claims "The chances of dying from a venomous snakebite in the United States is nearly zero." Meanwhile, about 10,000 people a year are killed by drunk drivers (MADD). As Swede Nelson is fond of saying, more people die from WORRYING about getting ate by a bear than from actually getting ate by a bear. Two-legged snakes are more dangerous than the one's that slither.

Moderator Emeritus

I've only killed 3 copperheads so far this spring, but I haven't been up to our family ranch very often, yet. I usually kill copperheads and water moccasins, because they are so common. But I will just relocate coral snakes and the very occasional rattler. All other snakes are safe around me... Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master

I understand and appreciate the benefits of snakes.

I also kill 4 or 5 Copperheads around the house every year.

This is because I understand and appreciate the benefits of grand kids.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Bub
    we are lucky as we have no dangerous snakes in nova scotia. I have lots of snakes around my home, green, black and brown garder snakes. they eat up all the bugs in my yard and garden and make life a bit easier for me.

Boolit Master
    You don't have copperheads in Western Oregon but you do have rattlesnakes. Here we don't have rattlesnakes, at least since I have lived here, but copperheads galore. About a week ago my wife killed one 10 feet from our back door on the parking pad. I have had two dogs bitten, one a Pyrenees was bitten on the face a died. Last week Missouri recorded its first recorded human fatality by copperhead. Usually it is just loss of finger, toes or damage to body limbs.

Boolit Master
    The snakes in Illinois all live in the Mayors' offices and City Councils.

Boolit Master
    Copperheads and pine snakes bear a close resemblance. Differences are that copperheads have prominent triangular head with conspicuously narrow neck Pine snakes have slender oval head. Copperheads, rattlers, cottonmouths have vertical pupils lie a cat. The diamond shaped patch along center of copperheads back only extends about half way to belly. On pine snake it goes all the way down to belly plates and ground.

I ignore ones in pastures and woodlots but not one in immediate vicinity of the house for protection of little tykes. Realistically flies, mosquitoes, ticks. bees & wasps each individually kill far more people that snakes. I could live in a world with occasional venomous snakes by why oh why did God create mosquitoes.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    The snakes in Illinois all live in the Mayors' offices and City Councils.
    There is a BIG den of them sitting in chairs in the Capitol building and most of them are from Crook Co itself.

Sure wish we could have open season on those vermin.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Say what you want, but snakes are a lot like cats. There are good ones and live ones!

In their great wisdom, there has been a law passed here in Ideeeho to protect rattle snakes.

Shoot, shovel and shut up. Same goes for wolves!

To hear that some states "great Wisdom" has brought venomous snakes back to repopulate an area with venomous snakes shows their mental capacity to be equal to those bring back wolves.

They are a few bricks short of a load!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master

With all the rain and resulting tall grass a lot more than copperheads are out here in TX. I don't like copperheads or water moccasins and can't hear rattlesnakes or remember what they smell like. Thank goodness I have only non-venomous snakes (so far!) around here but I may just bring a shotgun along if I ever get to mow again.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine called me on the phone last night.Had fun mowing his lawn yesterday morning.Turned the front 3 feet of a Burmese python into snake burger.The intact part was appx 10 feet long.Neighbor lady about browned out.Hehehe.NYC transplant.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Cotton-mouths (Water Moccasin), Copperheads, Rattlers (Eastern, Timber [Canebreak], and Pygmy), and Coral snakes pretty much fill out the venomous list here in SW Louisiana. That list is in the order of my encounters from most frequent to rarely.
    Of those species, the only one that has aggressively approached me is the Cottonmouth... I kill every one that gives me the opportunity.

If I recognize a non-venomous species he is safe from harm... If there is any doubt in a fast encounter, it had better be quicker than me or I will dispatch it first and identify it later.
    I've had many close calls. I have dogs that are occasionally bitten... A poisonous snake is my enemy if he can't avoid my home vicinity.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    A friend of mine called me on the phone last night.Had fun mowing his lawn yesterday morning.Turned the front 3 feet of a Burmese python into snake burger.The intact part was appx 10 feet long.Neighbor lady about browned out.Hehehe.NYC transplant.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Leo, that didn't happen in La Follette, did it?