Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: I have more Time than Money, but sometimes I have more Money than Brains..AR question

I have more Time than Money, but sometimes I have more Money than Brains..AR question

Looking through the latest Brownel's AR catalog at all the cool toys.
    They have been pushing 16" barrels with mid-length gas systems. Adjustable gas blocks, Extra or enhanced buffer springs, reduced buffer springs.
    A multitude of different weight buffers. And for competition extra lite bolt-carriers. I under stand how the AR platform works.
    In Patrick Sweeney's books he states if you gun "works" there'e no need to do anything. Than again he get's 1000's a rounds of factory ammo.
    donated to him each year.

When is too much when playing around with all of the above options?

I bought a 16" 300blk barrel with a carbine length gas tube. long before the craze. I liked the idea of only having to change the barrel. Plus casting .30 cal boolits is a lot easier than little .22's. However during that time, it seems they have found it better to have a pistol length gas system with an adjustable gas block. If you want to shoot both super and sub-sonic. Hornady and Remington have both been able to get their ammo. To reliably shoot both lite and heavy weights bullets. In a S&W MP15 300. with a carbine gas tube.

I would like to shoot both heavy-subs and supersonic I bought a N.E.M.O. .300 Blackout carbine buffer spring.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod56149.aspx

I just hope it won't have problems shooting supersonic. At least it is an easy change. I also bought it because I did need a new buffer spring and it was comparable in price.

I also have an 18" .556 1/8 barrel with a mid length gas tube. I am going to put an adjustable gas block on it. So that I can play around with different loads lite and heavy, fast and slow.

any input would be great!!!
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Bub
    If it won't cycle Subs and you have an adjustable gas block you can always open up the gas port.

I use 300 blackout exclusively for subsonic. I don't see a super sonic application for me at this point. If I'm gonna shoot supers I'll grab a 223 instead.

You would be surprised what you can do at higher velocities with a 16 inch barrel. I'm using 110 grain V-max bullets over 296 and getting 2350 feet per second. I will try the 125s on deer this year.

Boolit Master
    My brain made me build one of each, one for this and one for that. That's how my brain beats up my wallet. And IMHO the adjustable gas block is a worthy expense.

the seekins adjustable block is top quality for around $55-$65.

That's the block I bought I got it for Around $45 at primary arms.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Bub
    I also use seekins gas blocks. For the price they are great.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 300 BO has a carbine length gas port and an adj. block. I use a standard buffer. No problems with any loads so far.

I have an older 300-221 Fireball barrel (Off brand 300 Whisper from before the 300 Blackout came out.) It has a standard buffer and carbine length gas with a regular gas block. I run supersonic just fine out of it and with some load tweaking I have found subsonic loads using 220gr HPBT, 150gr FMJ and the Lee 230 gr Blackout bullet. I have had the Lee mold for about a year and really like it. I've loaded them with LLA and powder coated. Using range scrap lead and about 10.5 grains of 1680 it makes for a very inexpensive load.

I have been thinking of switching to a 300 BO barrel so that I can use factory ammo if I want. If I did I would consider a shorter gas system and adjustable gas block.

Boolit Master