MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: High Vel#2

Boolit Master

High Vel#2

Anyone have familiarity with this powder, I was gifted some by a member and I want to give it a try. I have one new pound and one opened. Loads for 30-30 lever and maybe my M44 Mosins.

Just curious what the board knows, I do have some data form Castpics and the old Ideal manual they have there for download. This was the only HiVel#2 data I have ever seen.

Thanks!

PS: Thanks BruceB, please Pm me I dont have your number and I work a block away from you!

Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    Anyone have familiarity with this powder, I was gifted some by a member and I want to give it a try. I have one new pound and one opened. Loads for 30-30 lever and maybe my M44 Mosins.

Just curious what the board knows, I do have some data form Castpics and the old Ideal manual they have there for download. This was the only HiVel#2 data I have ever seen.

Thanks!

PS: Thanks BruceB, please Pm me I dont have your number and I work a block away from you!
    That powder was discontinued in 1964. Better give it the smell test.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I did, it has been stored very well, and the open container smells and looks great.

I have not opened the sealed tin yet.

I shot a couple of cans of it back in the early 60's. It had a burning rate similar to 3031 and 4895. I fired most of it in a Krag rifle. I followed the load data in the Lyman book.

Although it gave decent accuracy, it was not as good in the accuracy department as 3031 and 4895. I preferred 4895 as it worked better in the Hollywood measure. Finding no benefit to Hi-Vel No. 2 over other powders, I did not buy any more.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I used lots of HV2 back in the day, mostly in .30-'06 and 7.62x54R.

For cast loads in the '06 23 grains with #311299 is a good 200 yard target load, which in the '03 Springfield can be increased up to 30 grains maximum, with suitable lube and strong alloy.

With 174-grain Ball M1 or M72 Match bullets in the '06 a charge of 44 grains approximates the old Ball M1 or M72 Match ammo.

In the 7.62x54R with 200-grain Lapua D44 rebated boattail match bullet 37 grains was a popular load for 300 metre shooting.

Lacking specific data for HiVel #2 with current components I would CAUTIOUSLY use STARTING loads for IMR3031 as a guide.

This is a double-base powder and while chemically stable with good shelf life, it has a higher flame temperature and can be hard on barrels when used extensively in maximum loads.

I was using old stocks of HV2 well into the 1990s. If it smells normal with no interior rusting of the can and only a normal solvent odor, it should be OK.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Thank you Outpost, I'll try and post pictures when I get off of work, and thank you for the 7.62x54r data. I will start with starting loads for 3031, as the Ideal book has two loads for 30-30: one is 30.0gr and the other is 30.9gr. That is all.

I think it would be very neat to shoot this powder.

Boolit Master
    I did read about the high temps and some folks seemed to think this was a corrosive powder. Also I do not need full-house loads.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    Thank you Outpost, I'll try and post pictures when I get off of work, and thank you for the 7.62x54r data. I will start with starting loads for 3031, as the Ideal book has two loads for 30-30: one is 30.0gr and the other is 30.9gr. That is all.

I think it would be very neat to shoot this powder.
    In the .30-30 I would be inclined to stay on the low side, 24-26 grains as this has a much higher specific energy than single-base, and gets "peaky" as you approach bulk density. It actually likes about 10-15% of free airspace and you will go over-pressure really quickly if you try to fill the case!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Hi-Vel #2 is in many of the older manuals,
    It is very similar to 3031
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    hm I have a few Hornady, Speer and Nosler manuals, not sure how old they are old maybe not pre 1964 , but I do have a bunch. Maybe I should look.

Boolit Master
    I've used Hi-Vel #2 mostly in the .25-35, with full house jacketed loads. Always found it a good, accurate powder and have bought it up at gun shows whenever I found it cheap. It's in the same burn range as 3031. There's tons of data in the old loading books and manuals.

IIRC, Hercules tried a series of Hi-Vels, from #1 to #3. The first one disappeared off the market very quickly, and the third never materialized. They phased #2 out under considerable protest, and began the Reloder series of powders.

Boolit Grand Master

Speer #6 has HV2 data for 30-30 with 150 gr speer flat point, 29-33 grs, 2223-2411 fps, cci200, win m 94 20" bbl
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I've got the Ideal Handbook #40, 1955. Has data. Let me know calibers & email, I'll send you pix of pages.

Boolit Master
    Pm sent
    and Speer 6 downloaded

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I have two older Lyman manuals ('55 & '57) both containing data for Hi-Vel. For your 30-30 max load is 29 grains using the 311291 and 311413.
    This was a very respectable choice back when I was young and handsome and a 30-40 Krag was considered a great elk/moose gun.
    Last edited by helice; 05-16-2015 at 07:49 PM.