RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Stevens 87A rifle what scope mount or base

Boolit Master

Stevens 87A rifle what scope mount or base

A friend brought over a very nice Stevens 87A rifle.
    It has what are apparently DT'ed holes for a propriatary scope mount or base unlike any I've seen.
    I would have thought the holes were DT'ed by a previous owner but on looking for examples on the net those that looked exactly like this one all had the holes in exactly the same unusual configuration, two sets of two holes each in a line at 45 degrees from top dead center of the tublar receiver. There are no milled in grooves like you'd see on almost all moder .22 rimfire rifles.
    The holes are obviously not intended for a rail mounting.

Has anyone got one of these rifles with the scope base mounted so I can try to find out what I need to look for?
    Any chance that this sort of base is still available?

The rifle is an old one without serial number or any marking that identifies the manufacturer or the retailer. These were sold under various trade names by Sears, Western Auto, etc.
    It does have two roll marked lines of patent numbers on the barrel but thats all.

Its the version with slots to allow gas to ventilate from the receiver to reduce build up of fouling, and the bolt knob can be pushed in to lock to allow single shot use with .22 shorts or CB caps.

Boolit Master

Sounds like it may have been D&T for and older Weaver side mount. You can see examples on eBay http://m.ebay.com/itm/231550983858?nav=SEARCH
    I have an old Remington 512 with one of these mounts installed.

wcp

Boolit Master
    I'm considering trying to horse trade for this rifle.
    My friend has said he intends to give the rifle to his young nephews, but on looking into the mechanism of this very old design which dates to 1904 I think this rifle may be unsuited for a younger shooter with no previous experiance with firearms.
    Its more of a grown up's rifle, it certainly has a man sized stock and the feel of a serious hunting rifle rather than a boy's plinker.

Whether he wants to trade or not I hope to talk him out of giving the rifle to the boys, I don't think either of them is ready for a complicated and unusual rifle like this.

If I do trade for it I probably won't scope it, but would obtain the side mount just in case I ever decided to do so.

In Remembrance
    I have what sounds like the same rifle, but mine is marked savage model 6A and no holes anywhere for a scope mount. It is for a man sized 22 rifle, but it will go to my grandson eventually. Along with a few more ooooold savages, 22 hornet, 222, 30/30 and a couple of old savage shotguns. He is not old enough to pull his first trigger, but is already savage poor. lol