RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: My iteration of a Marlin 1893 "Lightweight" rifle chambered 30-30

Super Moderator

My iteration of a Marlin 1893 "Lightweight" rifle chambered 30-30

..........I'd read someplace that Marlin had offered such a rifle at one time. Naturally I did a search and turned up some info, and some of the info was also contradictory. Howsomever I decided to continue rather such a factual beast ever really DID in fact exist. Also, my intent was NEVER to defraud anyone but merely to produce a 'Repro' using some parts I had on hand.

I started out with a standard model 1893 in 30-30 (26" tapered octagon bbl, crescent butt, f/l magazine). The bbl's bore was toast and I should have had it rebored but instead gave it away. Over time I picked up a NOS Marlin bbl from Numrich stamped as being for a M36-CS. It was chambered 30-30, and tapered round 22" long with 4 groove rifling. The barrel came within an ace of clocking to the action.

I had to make a shim finally ending up with one .005" thick tightly snugged the action up against the bbl's shoulder. Having that done I assembled the action and on a range trip sometime later fired 10 factory Remington loads through it. All was okay. I finally decided (again after quite awhile) that I probably should finally finish it up.

Next up was to mill a dovetail for a front sight. A machinists square was laid against the flat sided action to make sure it was set up to match. The barrel was apparently set up for a ramp type sight as it had 2 holes D&T'd in the barrel. I realized that holding the tapered round bbl would be a trick to clamp in the milling vice, so I used this:

I parted off 2 pieces of hex brass, then with a 1/2" ball endmill cut a slot in both ends of each piece, with the 2 slots 90º to each other. Then I parted off a couple pieces of 1/2" OD rod and clamped it in the vise as shown above.

Then the dovetail was cut. Downward pressure was nil, as was the side load. It went off without a hitch.

And here it is. The button magazine holds 3 rounds. Both the buttstock and handguard were new replacement wood from a place in Texas IIRC. I sent the buttstock off to Waksupi (along with a Win M92 buttstock) to have the buttplate fitted, as I'm no woodworker. The serial number on the action dates it to 1901.

I liked the Marlin "S" type buttplate, which Marlin appears to have used as a special order and also quite a bit on carbines, but I'm not a student of Marlins by any means.

The only thing that 'doesn't really fit' is the handguard nosecap. It was intended for the original hexagonal barrel. However it doesn't look bad, and maybe one of these days (I doubt it) I might take it off and MiG weld on some steel and then fit it to the barrel.

..................Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 05-04-2015 at 12:20 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Have a 36 carbine here. Surprising how far back this flat bolt design dates. Its always pleasing to see another old timer brought back to functional life. Nicely done Buckshot.

Boolit Master
    Very nice!--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned

Nice looking rifle! You're very talented.

Boolit Master

Love your take on a classic "custom" brush gun! As per usual your machining/metal work skills are top notch it looks like she'll carry and swing nice. What loads have you worked up or thought about?

nice job buckshot. I have never seen an old Marlin 93 with a button mag but that sure looks dandy. how do she shoot with the new tube and short mag tube? accuracy?

thanks for the photo's and another excellent "buckshot" job.

Banned

Wow. That is how to do something right. Seems faithful to the inspiration gun.

Boolit Master

I love to see such nice work.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Super Moderator

..............bigted, I have another Marlin 1893 also with a short magazine:

This one is in 38-55. The serial number dates this rifle to 1906. I believe this magazine length is a "Half Magazine", so since the one on the 30-30 is shorter I simply called it a button magazine. It may be that a true button mag ends directly at the end of the handguard. Notice the 38-55 also has the "S" type buttplate. Don't know if this particular rifle was special ordered or came this way, but in addition to the 'S" buttplate, short magazine, it also has a half octagon half round 26" barrel (that length apparently being standard). I know that back then most manufacturers would honor quite a few variations over the standard rifle.

So far as accuracy is, I honetly cannot really say at this point. I've only put 30 rounds through it to date. Ten rounds were factory jacketed I fired after screwing the barrel on to check headspace (single loaded, no sights or forend). The other 20 rounds WERE cast. I'd had them loaded for this rifle since 2012. The boolits were Lyman 311410, a plain based design over four different powders (like 8grs Red Dot, 10 grs Unique, etc) 5 rounds each. At this point I cannot call it a tack driver. I fired each load at it's own bull and they all were less then 3". I don't believe I'd ever slugged the bore of this barrel, and if I did I don't have it written down in my book. The slugs were all sized .310" according to the data label on the box.

I honestly don't feel too worried about it. With 62 year old eyes, the original semi-buckhorn rear sight and a front blade sight I made too narrow I thought it wasn't bad for a first outing. I have 100 old Sierra 125gr PSP's I plan on banging away through it with various book loads before I begin any serious work with cast lead.

The front sight I used out of my 'trashstash' was for who knows what, but the dovetail was way too wide. Maybe for an octagon bbl? I had to modify it to fit what I thought would look right. Left: Doing the alteration. You can see where I'd milled away the bead Middle: As finished and cold blued, Right: Rear sight off the original barrel. Since I dislike beaded blades, I milled away the sides of the bead and was left with a post that might realistically be a shade too narrow. At this point I have no reason to doubt that it will be a nice shooting rifle. Might have to use my Merit disc on my glasses to make it work though!

And I do appreciate the compliments. Even if it isn't a somewhat close rendition to a so called "Light Rifle", I thick it makes an attractive and useful one.

....................Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 05-04-2015 at 01:07 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    thats a neat deal! Reminds me of a 336 glenfield I tried to get down to same weight as a win 94. I should have seen your project first because I got my cartridge tube a little short but weight was what I was trimming away.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Buckshot sure is nice to see some of your work again. That project is a winner and it sure put some new life in the old girl.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Looks good Rick. Good to see you post, I hadn't seen anything from you for awhile. I thought maybe you'd gone under!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Super Moderator

.............Nope Haven't 'Gone Under', but by the time I finish up in the shop I don't have a lot of time to spend on the board anymore. Suffice to say when you're PAID to work 12 hours at night and have no responsibilities, you can spend considerable time on the board!

................Buckshot

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Machinists are amazing people. It is such a talent to be able to create beauty from steel. I find that I could get in the way for hours watching a good machinist, maybe I could hold the light or something. On a good day I maybe could do both at the same time. Great job. Great report.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting the pics showing the setup for milling the dovetail!

You did a nice job of the rifle. But after seeing the care and thought you put into the jigging up on the setups I'd expect nothing less.

If anything as a fellow shop nut I'm even more impressed with your ingenuity and solutions to the jigging than the actual rifle work. The barrel jigging for cutting the dovetail is absolutely inspired. It'll self compensate for any taper which I really like. I'll pay you the compliment of borrowing that idea for my own shop. And I'll be happy to give you the credit if anyone asks.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master
    Great job nice rifle good to see you . I remember you from the Bufflo match days at Redlands hope you are doing well I miss those shoots!

Boolit Mold
    Nice job there Buckshot. I love the old Marlin lever guns,nice to see a remodel come out so well.
    Nevada duke.

Boolit Master

Looking good Rick. Now to find it's pet cast load, lol.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.