WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee 452 200 SWC load data/ COL....posting after reading 30 pages

Lee 452 200 SWC load data/ COL....posting after reading 30 pages

I've searched 30 pages...looking for load information and for the life of me the search is not my friend....been casting and pcing for a couple of years, thanks to you folks.
    got a new Lee 452 200 gr SWC mold and a bad recipe. I'm Hoping not to have to pull 165 rounds. WST 5.1 original COL 1.275
    plunked at 1.2. See my dilemma?
    go easy on me please......thanks Rick
    Am I over pressure?
    Last edited by Rickshaw; 05-06-2015 at 01:44 PM.

1.275? That's over max length. My experience with the lee(long gone now) was loaded short for best feeding, I believe 1.19-1.20. It is not the same as a H&G68. Cant comment on powder charge.

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgon has a recipe for WST using a 200gr LSWC with a charge rate of 4.4gr - 5.1gr and COL of 1.225.
    The generic max is indeed 1.275" but Hornady suggests 1.200" for their 200gr SWC
    Benny

Boolit Master

Lee indicates a max of 5.1 at 1.225 hitting just over 23,000psi. You are well into +p territory. Tread with caution.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Everything I have(about 6 different manuals) indicate that 5.1 at your working COL is in +P territory. Your gun may take it and it may not. I can't safely make any recommendation except pull them all and start over.

Win. loads on Handloads.com is showing around 900 +/- fps with 5.1-5.2. I would keep them for occasional use, if a solid gun.

Vendor Sponsor

You could choot them up in a Ruger but keep in mind the New Model (medium frame, three digit prefix) made from 2005 to present is only good to +P pressures of 23,000 so an older large frame Blackhawk or Vaquero (with a TWO DIGIT prefix in the serial number) might safely dispose of said questionable rounds..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Thanks for confirming my gut feeling... I'm going to pull them and start over.
    I appreciate all your advice....Rick

Vendor Sponsor

If you are having trouble plunking them, I -do- throat and crown barrels, it takes care of the COA issues, decreases pressure, increases velocity, decreases leading and shrinks groups!

Seating deeper to get rounds to plunk is really only creating a second problem as a workaround to the first problem. If the rounds won't plunk get the barrel throated and load to your heart's content.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Wait, you started at the top load? You a test pilot too?

Boolit Master
    I find 4.0 to 4.2 gr of WST with that bullet is a great load.

Moonie..... I'll explain.....
    the load recipe I obtained (from a reputable source) called for no reduction in charge, no work up or max.....just that charge.....his SWC and mine evidently were not the same length.....
    I would normally just call and ask him to avoid my debacle but he passed just before this past Christmas. So, I have been taught another lesson.
    the moral of the story is.....
    NOT ALL 200 grain SWC are created equal.
    Oh, answering your question....I'm not a test pilot..... But I've been places we should not have been.