Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Used silicon mats today.

Boolit Buddy

Used silicon mats today.

Powdercoated 45 acp and 40 s&w today and used silicon mats to cook on. My wife was kind enough to buy me one and since my cookie sheets are small I was able to cut it in two and use both sheets. Worked well, but I do have residue on the mats. Have any of you used them multiple times to see how they hold up over time or if the residue causes any problems? I really liked them, but it could get very expensive if they don't hold up. Much easier than either non stick aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lays much flatter.
    Did notice something though. I used Harbor Freight red on the 45 acp and Smoke's Carolina Blue on the 40's. The blue covered much better. Got some spots on the reds that didn't cover, but will use them anyway and see what happens. Has anyone noticed this, that Smoke's powder covers better or is it because the 45's are so big it is harder to cover them. If it is the powder, I will have to get some of Smoke's red as my wife wants her lipstick red 45's!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    bigarm, I think it would be fair to say that some bullet shapes do coat better than others, especially if your doing the dry tumble method. And yes the quality and grind of the powder makes a BIG difference. Think about all the stuff Harbor freight sells and you pretty much have your answer. I've heard nothing but good things about Smokes PC powders, it's just that I know a guy at a local powder coating shop and he almost gives me the powder (six bucks a quart for Cardinal powder) you might say I have a life time supply. lol I'm using the silicon mats now at dragonhearts suggestion, they work great for me so far. The experiment continues. GP

Boolit Master

I've found Smoke's powders to cover way better than the harbor freight powders when dry tumbling. I broke my ES gun before I got any powder from Smoke, so I can't compare there.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Smoke told me about using Ziploc ''Twist n Loc'' containers for DT instead of the Cool Whip container I was using when I called to order his clear PC powder. No more boolits exiting the shaken container.

I first tried it without any ASBB's and it covered much better than HF red and much more easily. The 2nd time I tried it I coated 55 Lee 200 gr. lead alloy TL SWC's at a time with a layer of black ASBB's in the Twist n Loc container. Still better. More uniform coating that resembled powdered sugar coated donuts.

I still have a HF powder coating system and new compressor I have never opened. Now that I've found Smoke's clear PC I may never fire up that system to PC boolits.

I cannot imagine the DT system becoming any more simple and reliable than using the clear PC and those 3 pack ZiplocTwist n Loc containers. So easy to swirl and shake in one hand or shake in both hands if you really want it to coat quick. Going to try to cast and coat some more today.

I love the colors he offers, but as was stated the experiment continues and for now I'll stick with a pigment free PC. That Green-yellow of Smoke's is hard to say no to though. grin.........Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Just watch how many and the weight of the boolits you put in the Zip containers! I have broken thru 3 bottoms so far! What a mess! I always hold my fingers around the bottoms for support now.

I still prefer coolwhip bowls. Haven't broke a coolwhip bottom yet!

Why are you afraid of pigmented PC???????????????????????? that is all I have used since we started doing this almost 2 years ago. No problems at all. I prefer NOT to see lead.

Boolit Master
    Some say that the pigments in some of the powder coat colors cause excess wear.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...h-PD-d-bullets

But then some say not to shoot cast in Glocks and many manufactures say Not to Shoot Reloads in thier guns
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 05-06-2015 at 10:40 PM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    There is most definitely a difference in the quality powders, especially if you tumble coat and I stay away from HF powder. Powder by the Pound works good, but I started using Prismatic Powder because it was recommended by several professional powder coating companies. It is the best powder I have found, the best prices, fast shipping and good customer service for questions. They don't have a problem selling to small quantity users. They have over 2000 colors, but I stay with the solid colors and get excellent one coat coverage using the tumbler method.

Boolit Buddy
    Jim, some of the powder coated boolits I have seen in the pics section are simply stunning to put it mildly. I just want to try the clear PC to judge ease of application using the DT method. I am assuming the clear is the carrier for the pigments although that may be erroneous on my part. There could be some pigments that add significantly to good coverage.

I still remember all the hoopla about moly-coated bullets not all that long ago. Then eventually some negative reports started to surface.

I am just proceeding patiently and somewhat cautiously. I agree 100% with you about seeing the lead. The clear PC just doesn't turn me on the way pigmented boolits do and feeling good about what you are shooting does affect shooting success. You need faith to consistently do well.

At 68 years of age maybe I am too patient and cautious some times. It's not likely I'll wear my XDS barrel out in my lifetime even if pigments do cause a little additional wear.

Chasing women is definitely causing some addition wear and tear on me, but I still seem to be full steam ahead on that front. Though pretty unsuccessful at it. It seems I make a great surrogate dad or grandfather to younger women needing advice. Well....maybe that is success enough.

But, I'm pretty sure I'd be better off devoting more time to powder coating anyway. grin

Mike
    Last edited by Spector; 05-07-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Boolit Master

Dragonheart, Prismatic Powders has 6500 colors. I've been to their facility, and the have the colors baked onto aluminum strips like swatches of paint. They do sell direct if you call ahead and give them 2 days. It is only 2 hours away from my CA house and near family in Medford Oregon (they are in White City, OR). Still, I have yet to order direct because their shipping isn't bad if you order several pounds/colors to even out the cost. I'm still trying to find a copper color that looks like jacketed and will keep trying. Meanwhile, pink, zombie green, black, and purple work great! The other colors I've tried work great too, they just aren't the color I was looking for. I will use it up by shooting off colored boolits!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Fcvan - Thanks for your input. If you ever find a copper color that will tumble with one coat please give me a shout. Maybe the thing to do is contact Prismatic about the copper color and see what they say. They have been really good about answering my questions.
    So far all the Prismatic colors listed as solid colors have given me excellent one coat coverage. I know Prismatic has a lot of two coat applications for that "WOW" factor and when I start coating rifle bullets I may give those a try as I will be doing fewer bullets. But at the present I like being able to generate large quantities of 9 mm & 45 ACP, which is what I shoot most of the time. I just came in from cooking 1200 9 mm this evening, so now they will go to the Ram Chucker, which has a sizing cycle rate of over 2000 an hour.

Boolit Master

DH, I watched your video. Cool doesn't begin to describe. One note, having grandkids size boolits adds to the fun

yes, the folks at prismatic are great! Actually going to their facility was a treat, seeing their colors, and some of their displayed projects. Car rims PCd, AR rifles cerocoated. They do big projects too, think PCd tractors.

i have mixed several of their colors to get a good copper that looked like a jacket. I have one more combo to try and if that works I will just order the 2 colors and mix my own. Since I'm currently in Colorado visiting SWMBO, I won't be back in Nor Cal (where I work) for another week. When I get back, I will get the second color which should make for an awesome copper jacket color. So far, all of their copper is either too dark or a top coat which doesn't DT worth a hoot. If my next combo works, I will publish. Heck, I might try to get Prismatic Powders to catalog the combo and call it Copper Boolit!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    DH, I watched your video. Cool doesn't begin to describe. One note, having grandkids size boolits adds to the fun

yes, the folks at prismatic are great! Actually going to their facility was a treat, seeing their colors, and some of their displayed projects. Car rims PCd, AR rifles cerocoated. They do big projects too, think PCd tractors.

i have mixed several of their colors to get a good copper that looked like a jacket. I have one more combo to try and if that works I will just order the 2 colors and mix my own. Since I'm currently in Colorado visiting SWMBO, I won't be back in Nor Cal (where I work) for another week. When I get back, I will get the second color which should make for an awesome copper jacket color. So far, all of their copper is either too dark or a top coat which doesn't DT worth a hoot. If my next combo works, I will publish. Heck, I might try to get Prismatic Powders to catalog the combo and call it Copper Boolit!
    I always appreciate a little help in the reloading room and growing your own is the way to go. I think I will add an anti-tie down switch to Ram Chucker so it will require both hands on the table to activate. For me, am happy with the way it is, and I have a slow ram speed, but I wouldn't want someone else to mangle a hand as I have several that already want to try it out.

Love Life
    On coating. This thread covers coating with pictures of different coverage: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...at-Shenanigans

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Case Stuffer View Post
    Some say that the pigments in some of the powder coat colors cause excess wear.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...h-PD-d-bullets

But then some say not to shoot cast in Glocks and many manufactures say Not to Shoot Reloads in thier guns
    And most liberals say guns kill people!

Boolit Master

My cheap silicone mat got me again even upside down again. I think it's shot. 400 seems to cause the thin cheap mats to break down and start expanding in sections.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs